Quantcast

longer Thompson seat post bolt

blacky

Monkey
Nov 1, 2001
sedona,az
i am trying to put a love seat on a thompson post, but the rear bolt isn't long enough to level the seat.

does anyone know where they sell a longer bolt?

thanks.

Last edited:

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Ace isn't called the helpful hardware place for nothing.

I get all of my o-rings, bolts, etc from Ace. You save so much more then you would if you bought it from the manu.

Now if only they stocked Ti hardware.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Have you tried turning it around? There is a front and rear to them...

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Isn't the bigger question of "people still use Love Seats in 2009?"

-ska todd

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Cant the parts on a Thomson be switched around to face the other way to cope in this sort of situation? Or maybe I imagined that.

daway

Chimp
Apr 15, 2004
Seattle
Another question would be that it took 6 more posts for someone to say something about it... :rofl:
That's immediately what I thought haha. My buddy has one and snapped his seat post landing on his seat on a table on A-line. The seat is just ridiculously big, there is way too much leverage on the post.

But I guess a Thompson post should be able to hold up, my buddy was using a generic post so I'm assuming a Thompson would fair much better.

Besides that though, we traded bikes for a run, and I kept slapping my ass and legs on the seat...it just got in the way too much.

To each his own though, I guess it could save your ass/balls if you slip off a pedal...:confused:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Did you try turning the post around? Also, why are you using a Loveseat again?

They are heavy, wide, not ergo by any means, and the totally flat top causes massive nut numbing issues. Even when they were the 'in' thing back in '99, they were still a joke because of the above noted issues.

If you're using it because it's the only seat you have, go to our local shop and see if they have a $20 used, take-off saddle. Most shops do, and if you tell them it's either a take-off of a love seat, they will surely take pitty on you and sell you one.

blacky

Monkey
Nov 1, 2001
sedona,az
on my post at least the upper clamp area is symmetrical. the clamp itself has a front. so i flipped that. as turbo said it has to be the slacker seat post angle.

on the love seat: your right it's a brick. i've been using them for 8 years and solved the numb nap with the performancebike.com gel shorts.

i'm over 200 lbs. with gear. i can't ride one of those small seats. i break everything, so strength and durability are my chief concerns. the love seat is one of the few items i haven't killed outright (the thompson posts are another). this is the only seat i've ever found that is wide enough to rest those two pelvic bones on.

there is a good bit of technical climbs and descents here, so a 14" seat has many virtues. sometimes when i have no breath and no legs remaining, right in middle of something i badly want to clean, i can find some part of the azonic love plank to park on and snatch a rest for 2 seconds and go on.

i do periodically look for a replacement when one finally dies. but have had no luck so far.

Last edited:

daway

Chimp
Apr 15, 2004
Seattle
I'm over 220 with gear and I'm fine with a WTB Pure V on the hardtail and Rocket V on the full squish. I guess I don't break that much stuff though, I try to be as smooth as possible which can sometimes be tough at my size.

But I lasted three days at Whistler without breaking one part, which I was pretty stoked about haha.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
family pics.

indestructible (couch).

what do you use? show me your honey.
The Love Seat is FAR from indestructible. I went through 3-4 of them back in my big-fat-flat-huckah days.

Now I have Ti railed WTB Shadow V's on all 3 bikes. I've grown up.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Regarding being a big boy, I'm 220 dry, probably over 235 geared up. I ride like a meathead, and don't break saddles or Thomson posts, however I was going through sets of cranks on a monthly basis a while back. There are many normal sized saddles that have a wide sit bone area, that aren't 5" wide and 12" long. If you are using a love seat, have you ever throught that the saddle is what is breaking the posts? They are super long, and with that have tons of leverage. I'd put good money that your fix (the saddle), is actually causing the problems.