Quantcast

Longer travel fork on '09 CoilAir

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Pretty much what the title says.

I bought a 2009 CoilAir last month and I've been loving it. I wanted a trail bike first and foremost, but also something that can tackle a bit of lift-access riding and shuttling. So far, the bike has proved more than capable.

When I first got it, I took off the 55 TST after the first ride. Definitely not impressed with that fork. I ended up getting an '09 Lyrik U-Turn for it and for the most part, its been good.

But really though, the fork is still not able to match the capability of the rear suspension. I'm considering putting an '09 66 ATA on it. I figure I can dial it down to 6" for trails and then dial it up to 7" for the "gnar". But then I also have the added benefit of the burlier construction on the 66. The Lyrik, while great, tends to feel like its in over its head on the rougher stuff. I know that's not what it was meant for, so nothing against the Lyrik. Maybe I just like a high front end on my bike for steeps, I don't know.

Is this a crazy thought?

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Maybe you should play with the settings on the Lyrik for a while first. I run one on my bike (Solo Air, 1.5" steerer) and it has handled lots of steep and nasty stuff. (Think Cypress, Seymour, Whistler.) Perhaps your rebound is too fast or your LSC too high, because the Lyrik does great on the chatter and the rougher stuff IMO.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Maybe you should play with the settings on the Lyrik for a while first. I run one on my bike (Solo Air, 1.5" steerer) and it has handled lots of steep and nasty stuff. (Think Cypress, Seymour, Whistler.) Perhaps your rebound is too fast or your LSC too high, because the Lyrik does great on the chatter and the rougher stuff IMO.
I'm going to try that first.

Thanks!

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Did a ride on Saturday on a local steep trail after messing with the settings on the Lyrik. Much, much better. The fork felt great, so it was definitely a combination of improper settings plus me not really trusting the bike.

Feels great now and I was all smiles at the end!

ATOMICFIREBALL, the new CoilAir is a much different beast than yours. I appreciate the info though!