Quantcast

Longest day of my life!

BRIANBUELL

Monkey
Nov 17, 2005
Boulder, Colorado
Yesturday and a little bit of today i put my body and mind through the toughest thing i'v ever done. After delaying the day with fixing a flat on my friends truck we descided to push on with the 35 mile ride planned for the day. THE RIDE: It is the longests shuttle i've ever attempted, not your typical shuttle. In Colorado: Leave shuttle car at the buttom of waterton canyon off of Wadsworth, drive up 285 south to pine junction, left turn 13 miles to buffolo creek campground. From there we started riding the COLORADO trail. It was a great trail some good ups, did i mention i was riding a 47 pound DH bicycle, and some very good single track downhills. After a mechanical setback we hit the trail. 20 miles later we found ourselfs at the bottom of a canton near the Platt river and a huge 1300 foot torturious hill climb ahead. Out of water an hour and a half later the sun was setting and it getting dark. we hit the DH untill we couldn't see, then half walked and half rode. Without any moonlight and lack of flashlight it was very slowgoing, couldn't see your hand infront of your face, it was bad. After contemplating making camp we pulled out the GPS and found we were .3 miles from a road that is 6.2 miles from the car. Dehydrated and stumbling in the dark we emerged to the road which would lead us to a house and water. 6 miles of canyon that seemed like it might never end later there sat my chevy blazer and a random package of oreo's which i ate quickly. The night was over but the day was just beggining as we had to go get the vehicles come back get the bikes and then the long sleepy, sore ride home. At least it didn't rain. Great ride yall, just don't start it at 1 pm.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
This is a fascinating report.

I would never have thought anyone would shuttle that (I know the overall altitude is less at the end). Although, I'm intrigued. I may have to try that.

I know I'm an advocate of pain, including pushing a DH bike uphill, but even though my Bullit weighs in at 43 lbs, I wait later in the season to push it on long trips.

Why were you so off on the time calculation? Had you done that ride before? Do you normally get out on a DH bike and pedal it up hill? I'm not trying to be insulting; I am seriously interested.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Ascentrek said:
This is a fascinating report.

I would never have thought anyone would shuttle that (I know the overall altitude is less at the end). Although, I'm intrigued. I may have to try that.
What are you talking about? Jeffe & Seth did that exact shuttle a few years back. :D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
BRIANBUELL said:
Yesturday and a little bit of today i put my body and mind through the toughest thing i'v ever done. After delaying the day with fixing a flat on my friends truck we descided to push on with the 35 mile ride planned for the day. THE RIDE: <snip> Great ride yall, just don't start it at 1 pm.
Nice ride report! Get yourself a cheap hardtail/rigid to do that ride, though, man. It's pretty much all easy XC stuff. And 1:00pm would be plenty early if you had a nice light bike. :p

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
SkaredShtles said:
What are you talking about? Jeffe & Seth did that exact shuttle a few years back. :D
I'm talking about LETS DO IT!

Except on reasonable bikes. You ride my beast up hill, and I'll ride it down hill!

You needs to get in shape anyway! :rofl:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
While making a great story and believe when i say i have similiar stories, you should really be alot smarter next time. Carry a Camelback full of water with plenty of food (fig newtons,trail mix,nutri-grain,beef jerky) plus tools for your bike and a little bit of first aid and start earlier. You're just one wrong thing happening from spending the night in the woods even with your computer thingy. A GPS doesn't start a fire for you to keep you warm.... (Does it get cold in Colorado woods this time of year at night?)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Skookum said:
While making a great story and believe when i say i have similiar stories, you should really be alot smarter next time. Carry a Camelback full of water with plenty of food (fig newtons,trail mix,nutri-grain,beef jerky) plus tools for your bike and a little bit of first aid and start earlier. You're just one wrong thing happening from spending the night in the woods even with your computer thingy. A GPS doesn't start a fire for you to keep you warm.... (Does it get cold in Colorado woods this time of year at night?)
Yup. Up along that area it probably still dips into the 30's at night. :thumb:

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Skookum said:
Rotec's produce all the heat, cause they're hot!!, and food you need....it's kinda like the gift that keeps on giving...:cool: