Quantcast

Longs weekends were made for riding and drinking with your friends.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
So we had a little house party on Saturday which started out with a nice ride, then some BBQ, drinks and ended with watching the UFC.

A lot of the pictures didn’t come out too well… may have something to do with that crash a couple weeks ago (camera took a hit). But since I tend to take WAY too many pictures anyway – I still have plenty to show!

We took care to properly prepare for the party:

We also snagged an extra grill from –BB- to make sure that we had enough room to cook everything on!

Woke up Saturday morning to rain… WTF!! This is SoCal, it’s not supposed to rain!!! Our friends who live about 3 miles away said they didn’t get any rain, so we took our chances and headed out.

The trail we were riding is called “The Luge”. You have a nice gradual climb for a couple miles, then you hit a fun fast section of fireroad that takes you to the top of the “luge” section.

Trailhead was nice and dry, looks like it was good call:

Heading up there:

Time to climb!

Don’t know why the fast guys stopped here for us, we’re about 90% to the top… but it gave me a chance to click away some pictures!
Said fast guys (well uphill at least):

Looking towards where we came from:

Must be having fun on the climbs, he’s still smiling:

-BB- , not so much:

Once we got to the top it’s a fun fast wide open fireroad to the start of the twisty stuff, but it was also much wetter up there!

This is the view from below:

This section is fast, twisty and tight… and after a good rain: slick! Some of the group adjusted well to it, others did not. It’s a bad idea to go off the trail… at least to your right:

I went ahead and scoped out a spot that I thought would be good for pictures:
First one starting off in the distance:

At least he is still smiling:

Just after this point was the worst section, very slick and hard to control the bike. Judging by all the noise these guys were making – I should have been taking pictures at that point! I did grab a few last shots from above as they emerged:

Still having issues, but never stopped smiling:

There is a rider in this picture somewhere:

There are two in this one:

Once at the bottom it’s a small climb to get out… too bad it was super slick! We did a little hike-a-bike to get out. The start of the hill was so bad my buddy could barely get his footing, so I waited hoping someone would spill...

Oh well … next time.

After this we took the street about a mile and then cut into some fun fast swoopy XCish riding, and then home to get cleaned up:

These were white…

Then it was party time…

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Is this the same Luge by Cook's Corner? I barely recognize it if it is!

Looks like you guys had fun!

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Yup... we got dropped off at the top of the road (I know - cheaters), and after riding the trails we took a left towards O’Neil park (instead of a right back to Cooks). We live all of 5 miles from the base, so we added some extra riding in at the end to make up for us skipping that damn road climb...

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
MMcG said:
I like the looks of that Soul Cycles Titan - who's is it?

Were those trails mainly dirt singletrack? Any rocky or super techy sections?
That's my Titan - it's an '04 large with a Flick+ on it. Love that bike!

The climb was an old fire road, some of it single track - but mostly fire road. Same with the first down, then it's all single track. Those trails are smooth... as are most of the trails here in the OC. Nothing like the fun rock gardens back in New England.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
splat said:
so what Kind of rider is Capt Kirk ?
He cheats on the climbs.. damn transporter.

SirChomps-a-Lot said:
That's a nice house you have there. Living the american dream. Be careful not to track any mud onto your nice carpets.
Not exactly - I just rent a room. And we pulled the carpet out a long time ago...