Quantcast

look at ATC + travel, or just ATC when comparing forks?

drastic.

Monkey
May 16, 2011
pleasanton, ca
I recently switched from a '11 domain to a '11 boxxer.

the domain had a 40mm 0* rise stem, and for the boxxer i put a cheap 45/50mm stem w/ a 30mm rise. hate how it feels. i lowered the crowns down about 12mm down from the top of the stanchion to help offset, but that isnt the issue.

domain ATC is 565mm, and the boxxer is 568mm. i'm trying to replicate the cockpit from my previous 7" fork/0 rise setup as i felt very comfortable that way.

do i look to swap my current DM stem out w/ a 0mm rise since the ATC's are the same, or something such as the Answer -20mm to offset the extra inch of travel?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The a-c is what matters way more. So I'm thinking you'll be happier with a ~0 degree stem.

drastic.

Monkey
May 16, 2011
pleasanton, ca
cool thanks.

any advantages to running a -20mm rise stem over a 0 rise? more weight bias over the bars, but does it have a negative affect?

gunna go ahead and order a 0mm, but curious about the neg rise and its pro/cons

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
If you want a ton of discussion on bar heights run a search, it's been discussed a ton and you'll get more than just my opinions on it.

Keep in mind (if you haven't cut the steerer really short) that you can always get a really low stem and then add spacers under the top crown to bring the bars back up if you don't like the super low position. My DH bike's currently set up like that, with the Answer super low stem, and then IIRC 10mm of spacers to bring things back up a little.

TWeerts

Monkey
Jan 7, 2007
The Area Bay
the axle to crown is absolute. so, the boxxer rides at the same height (3mm taller), but still has another inch of travel. the dual crown nature allows the crowns to be flatter when compared to a single crown.

that being said, 3mm is not very much. if it were my own bike, i wouldnt even adjust for that. can you really feel the difference in A-C at 3mm?

Last edited:

drastic.

Monkey
May 16, 2011
pleasanton, ca
If you want a ton of discussion on bar heights run a search, it's been discussed a ton and you'll get more than just my opinions on it.

Keep in mind (if you haven't cut the steerer really short) that you can always get a really low stem and then add spacers under the top crown to bring the bars back up if you don't like the super low position. My DH bike's currently set up like that, with the Answer super low stem, and then IIRC 10mm of spacers to bring things back up a little.
you made a good point about adding spacers. never thought of that. unfortunately, i bought the fork used, and the guy prior had the steerer cut down to 5 7/8", so w/ my current bike setup, i can fit only 1 5mm spacer on the steerer.

browsing a few threads from here, i noticed someone brought up that even though some stems are noted '0 rise', one may be taller based on where the manuf. considers "0" at (ie; 0 meaning the bottom of the bar being at the top of the crown, or 0 being measured at the halfway mark between the handlebar). ill have to look a little more closely at the DM stems..

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Bummer about the steerer length.

IIRC most people measure from the center of the bar to the top of the crown, but you're right it's not necessarily consistent. To replicate your old setup with that system is going to mean you want about a 15mm rise. If they're measuring top of the crown to the bottom of the bar, more like a 0.

There's always handlebar rise to play with too....

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
You have to measure the axle-to-crown length of a sagged fork to know how it feels when riding. I assume you are running more sag on 8" fork than on 7" fork, probably making the sagged axle-to-crown of the Boxxer actually shorter than the Domain.

drastic.

Monkey
May 16, 2011
pleasanton, ca
good point verskis.

im actually running less sag on my boxxer than i was on my domain. about 15% sag now vs about 25-30% or so on the domain (never checked it then).

drastic.

Monkey
May 16, 2011
pleasanton, ca
funn stem - 30mm rise. took my calipers to it. its 30mm from top of crown to middle of bar. so 14.9, or 15mm from crown to bottom of handlebar.

narrowing it down to basically a syncros lo-ball, which is 0* rise, but claims '1/2" lower'. so im not sure if it's 0mm from the crown to the bottom of the bar, or to the middle of the bar (which is what im looking for)...or a RF fr stem thats 50mm reach/-15mm drop, or the answer -20mm drop.

edit: got pics from someone, looks like the lo-ball sits at 0mm rise from crown to bottom of the bar, or maybe even a few mm above.

i know im nitpicking at this point, but cockpit feel is super important for me in order to be in a comfortable position riding.

drastic.

Monkey
May 16, 2011
pleasanton, ca
not sure how i'm going to like a 50mm reach coming from a 40mm, but beggers cant be choosers.

ima get the answer -20mm and do what you suggested HAB, and put a spacer under the crown. can only fit one 5mm spacer, but itll put the bar at flush center w/ the crown which is what i was looking for.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I really have no idea how Answer is measuring their rise because looking at mine the bar center is pretty much bang on the top of the crown.

Aren't you looking to get the bottom of the bar about level with the crown?

drastic.

Monkey
May 16, 2011
pleasanton, ca
I really have no idea how Answer is measuring their rise because looking at mine the bar center is pretty much bang on the top of the crown.

Aren't you looking to get the bottom of the bar about level with the crown?
im measuring from the top edge of the crown.. im looking to get the bar minimum, flush to the top of the crown..more preferably have the top of the crown sit flush to the middle of the bar..

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Well then the Answer stem will get the job done.

That doesn't sound like the same set up as you had with your old fork though.

drastic.

Monkey
May 16, 2011
pleasanton, ca
Well then the Answer stem will get the job done.

That doesn't sound like the same set up as you had with your old fork though.
maybe not. w/o being able to measure ground to bar height, im just guessing at what it was, and what i think i need.

the bike felt like a lifted cholo chopper bike last time out, lol. doing a 0* rise stem (pretty much all of them aside from like straitline that claim 0* rise, actually look like they have a few mm rise), would only drop the stem down like 10-12mm from what it's at right now.

w/ the answer one stem and a 10mm spacer under the crown (was actually a 10mm spacer, not 5mm like i thought), itll drop it right around 24mm/1" which i think is what i want.

who knows. ill find out shortly. the stem was 55$ new, so its a damn good deal compared to outlandish prices for other brands. was thinking the RF stem, but i didnt know what "15mm lower" meant in their advertising description.

drastic.

Monkey
May 16, 2011
pleasanton, ca
u dont have enough sag :D
maybe not. idk. ive had limited time on the bike, and planned to run it with little sag intentionally to soak up some hits/drops i plan on doing.

its a '11 boxxer rc running the firm spring (180-200lb range). about 160lb. damper modded for a lil more plushness, oil seal removed, and the area where the seal would've been, packed w/ a **** ton of slick honey. even tho its stiff, its superr plush, compliant, and stichion-less. lets me ride harder down rough stuff w/o sitting too deep in the travel. the last 2" are pretty damn progressive/stiff though.

the oil level was 30mm higher than the stated height level in the manual after putting in the correct volume, so i removed 30mm height worth of fluid out the damper. haven't given it a spin yet, but ill see how she performs on the end of the stroke. worst case, ill drop it a spring rate.

i usually run my bike w/ less sag than the typical dh setup neways. only run about 25% sag in the rear and a ton of LSC.

JohnnyH

Chimp
Sep 1, 2011
I had similar issues figuring out bar height with my Norco DH. I eventually got Race Face's Atlas DM stem, which can be flip-flopped for either 0 rise or -20mm rise. I found that I like the -20 option, but a similar flip flop option might be a good solution for the OP...

drastic.

Monkey
May 16, 2011
pleasanton, ca
just figured id post up...

got the answer -20mm drop stem on last week and have ridden it twice. immediately after putting it on, the bike felt just right. very comfortable stance for me.

fwiw, i put 1 5mm spacer under the stem, resulting in about a 25mm drop from where it was prior.