Quantcast

Look at those KNOBS!

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Truing stand knobs that is.

Big disappointment, I know.
My bike shop was going through the stock, plastic wheel clamp knobs every couple of months. They're $8 or so to replace, so the owner asked me to make a couple aluminum ones.

I asked my machinist buddy and he found someone who makes a good knob already.
I picked up a 5 pack because they were cheaper that way. Anyone interested in one for $25? I'm not trying to make a profit, just break even from the cost and shipping. Kind of a spammy post anyway, but please don't flag me.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
WTF are you doing to break them? Ours are years old and fine.
Good for you, but I've seen the problem at a few shops now. If you don't tighten the jam nut good and firm, the knob always backs off when you're taking a wheel out. I suspect that's what's putting the most stress on it.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
psh... fancy truing stand. i once fixed a wheel with a hammer and a 2x4
When I cased that road gap at platty the other weekend I got my rear wheel straight enough to fit through the frame by going all caveman on it with the ground.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
please tell me you got pics
Unfortunatly no.

I'll prolly end up recreating the scene on Sunday though. My new rim isn't in yet, so I'm still riding that totally borked wheel.

I will bring a backup. I'm not THAT dumb.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Unfortunatly no.

I'll prolly end up recreating the scene on Sunday though. My new rim isn't in yet, so I'm still riding that totally borked wheel.

I will bring a backup. I'm not THAT dumb.
outlaws are cheap yo. i'm considering a second set just as backup.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
outlaws are cheap yo. i'm considering a second set just as backup.
I'm good, I can steal the wheels of my BR to have around as backups, and I'll have an 823 rim to rebuild the Draco's wheel with early next week.

I just remembered, Nolan rolled by as I was beating my wheel on the ground in the parking lot. I got a very strange look from him.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm good, I can steal the wheels of my BR to have around as backups, and I'll have an 823 rim to rebuild the Draco's wheel with early next week.

I just remembered, Nolan rolled by as I was beating my wheel on the ground in the parking lot. I got a very strange look from him.
was it his "wtf" look or the "i'm gonna rape you" look

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
was it his "wtf" look or the "i'm gonna rape you" look
WTF for sure. I mean, I was standing with my legs about 4' apart, swinging a wheel over my head two handed and smacking it on the ground. I'd clearly gone full retard.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
if it wasnt a 6 hr drive and i still raced i would. tomorrow im pretending to be canadian and doing hucks and skinnies at highland.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
people drive to platty sober?

im actually right outside boston at a friends place tonight. platty was like 5 hrs from worcester and thats an hour west

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
The older and wiser DW would have figured out that a mechanic would have greasy hands and those dumb aluminum knobs would get slick really fast. Should have put some knurling on them.

I will try to get some of the more erotic Buffalo Mike in the green man suit pics up later. The younger and not as wise DW will get a 50% Woodie from them(no pun intended).