Quantcast

Look out Fatty...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Sweet! We should do that everywhere. I think it would be good for the economy and it would help get everyone in shape for the impending military draft.

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
Obviously the all-you-can-eat-buffet lobby is not strong enough, or it would not have made it this far...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Hard to implement in places like fast food restaurants (key target) with drive thru or any place with takeout/delivery.

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
"Please step on the scale and talk into the clown's head to place your order."

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Actually, they're behind the legislation since they're losing their shirt on sales to the fatties.
Remember that law suit a few years back because some fatties tried to sue Old Country Buffet because they were denied roast beef after the 30 slice or something?

If I recall they were claiming discrimination because they were on the Atkins diet and all they wanted was meat.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
While I approve of the general motivation behind this legislation
a. It's clearly never going to get passed.
b. It'd be the biggest PITA ever to check. Do they really expect to weigh and measure everyone before they get to order food?
c. The BMI system sucks. I'm assuming this is what they'd use. Really muscular people can be considered overwieght or obese because they're heavy for their height. (not that I'm in any danger here) :redface: I read somewhere what percentage of NFL and NBA players were considered obese. It was a lot. Granted, some linemen are very, very fat, but still.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Awesome! Just what we need, more government legislation and intrusion! This country is movin' on up like George and Weezy!!!

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Holy crap, that's got to be one of the craziest ideas I've ever heard.

Why not just round up all the fatties and send them to concentration camps.

There is definatly an obesity epidemic in this country, but that's not the way to correct it. We are losing too many of our civil liberties all the while being masked by the promise of it being in our best interest. Blind faith in your government is the start of nationalism. WW2 showed us what the next step is.

Amerikka needs to wake the fvck up!

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Nobody ACTUALLY thinks this is a good idea, probably including the guy who proposed the bill. It's just making a point about all the fatties.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Amerikka needs to wake the fvck up!
Yes you need to wake the fvck up. Nobody takes responsibility for their actions anymore. You can't say its nobody's fault. People won't take responsibility for their lifestyles so eventually heads in that direction.

The public shouldn't pay for individual ignorance/selfishness/laziness. The food industry goes mainly for the bottom line and only makes the problem worse.

Strain on our medical system from obesity, smoking, etc is great. The public saves much more money by prevention. The healthcare system has a fundamental problem in that waits for a problem treat rather than focusing on preventing the problem in the first place - again the bottom line is favored.

Cardiovascular disease (CVD) is the biggest cause of the death and disability in the US. It kills more than cancer does. More than a third of all disease related deaths are caused by CVD.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yes you need to wake the fvck up. Nobody takes responsibility for their actions anymore. You can't say its nobody's fault. People won't take responsibility for their lifestyles so eventually heads in that direction.

The public shouldn't pay for individual ignorance/selfishness/laziness. The food industry goes mainly for the bottom line and only makes the problem worse.

Strain on our medical system from obesity, smoking, etc is great. The public saves much more money by prevention. The healthcare system has a fundamental problem in that waits for a problem treat rather than focusing on preventing the problem in the first place - again the bottom line is favored.
i have a solution. see the post above yours. :biggrin:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am

It all boils down to education. Our schools are failing. We have some of the worst educational scores in the world. Granted, a lot of people in the US are lazy, selfish, and do not take responsibility for their actions. However, there are quite many that just don't know how to live a healthy lifestyle. The public school system is grossly under funded. This eventually leads to a public that is left in the dark about many things, which works out great for a self serving government. It gets easier and easier for sleazy politicians to get elected when you have a voter base that is under educated and unwilling to think for themselves. This in turn leads to corruption of government, negligent industries, and poor health care.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
c. The BMI system sucks. I'm assuming this is what they'd use. Really muscular people can be considered overwieght or obese because they're heavy for their height. .

so true. my bmi is 31 but my body fat is 17% (higher than i want but far from the obesity level my bmi says i'm at :disgust1: )

that kind of black and white fitness/obesity measurement is why i got out of the marine corps. i got tired of having to prove myself all of the time. over the height/weight measurements and borderline on the bodyfat but i never had below a 1st class fitness test. (pull-ups/sit-ups/3 mile run)

but yeah, i understand the legislators intent on this bill but it'll never pass; the ACLU would be all over it like a fat chick on some biscuits and gravy ;)

kev211

Monkey
Jan 22, 2008
San Diago
I'm going to commit a crime. I want to go down in history as being the first person to burn down an entire country.
So was that you who alomst burned my house down and burtn half of southern california in october 2007? Great start. Hahaha that was a really dark joke. Oops :imstupid:

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC

Cardiovascular disease (CVD) is the biggest cause of the death and disability in the US. It kills more than cancer does. More than a third of all disease related deaths are caused by CVD.
so then what do you propose about the people who have legitimate medical reasons for being overweight....one of my closest friends was recently diagnosed with an under active thyroid....not all overweight people are that way by choice!!....D

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
so then what do you propose about the people who have legitimate medical reasons for being overweight....one of my closest friends was recently diagnosed with an under active thyroid....not all overweight people are that way by choice!!....D
The modern obesity epidemic is not caused by a genetic shift so outliers are still outliers.

Regulation will still have a positive effect on them, only to a lesser degree as their metabolism is abnormal and legislation usually has exceptions for special cases.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus

so...along those same lines. should "extreme" sport athletes pay a higher health insurance premium because of the high risk of injury in their sport? involvement in risky ventures be it hucking/racing/skiing/boarding is a choice that can go hand in hand with "extreme" medical cost yet it is still your choice... just like eating what you want, when you want is your choice.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
so true. my bmi is 31 but my body fat is 17% (higher than i want but far from the obesity level my bmi says i'm at :disgust1: )

that kind of black and white fitness/obesity measurement is why i got out of the marine corps. i got tired of having to prove myself all of the time. over the height/weight measurements and borderline on the bodyfat but i never had below a 1st class fitness test. (pull-ups/sit-ups/3 mile run)

but yeah, i understand the legislators intent on this bill but it'll never pass; the ACLU would be all over it like a fat chick on some biscuits and gravy ;)
According to the BMI charts I'm just overweight. I have a scrawny build and only about 8% body fat?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I am fat by choice. This is America and I have a right to be fat and burden the health care industry as a personal choice.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
so...along those same lines. should "extreme" sport athletes pay a higher health insurance premium because of the high risk of injury in their sport? involvement in risky ventures be it hucking/racing/skiing/boarding is a choice that can go hand in hand with "extreme" medical cost yet it is still your choice... just like eating what you want, when you want is your choice.
Thats fine as long as its fair as there is not necessarily a higher risk of injury and it was implemented on statistics rather than marketing bull**** seen in the public's eyes. Unless the rates of injury are significant they would be discriminating by not increasing mainstream sport participant rates accordingly too.

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
According to the BMI charts I'm just overweight. I have a scrawny build and only about 8% body fat?
BMI charts have never worked on me. Right now, I'm considered 'obese' at 230. I'd have to weigh 173 to be at the highest threshold of 'normal'. The last time I was at 175 was when I was wrestling my sophomore year of high school and I was at 7%.

I think I'll stick to 'overweight' once I get back down to 210. I doubt anyone will consider me fat.

cadmus

Monkey
May 24, 2006
PNW
I read an article today about a study done by Dutch researchers whose findings indicate that healthy people who live longer actually cost the health care system more than the fatties and smokers that die off early.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I read an article today about a study done by Dutch researchers whose findings indicate that healthy people who live longer actually cost the health care system more than the fatties and smokers that die off early.
You can't compare one population directly to another not to mention a single study without any details of how it was carried out and by whom is absolutely meaningless.

Almost one third of all annual deaths in the US (about 3/4 million), caused by disease or otherwise, are from CVD. One quarter of the annual US healthcare expenditure goes to CVD.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC

cadmus

Monkey
May 24, 2006
PNW
You can't compare one population directly to another not to mention a single study without any details of how it was carried out and by whom is absolutely meaningless.

Almost one third of all annual deaths in the US (about 3/4 million), caused by disease or otherwise, are from CVD. One quarter of the annual US healthcare expenditure goes to CVD.
I'm sorry, I didn't realize we were being graded and I needed to properly site my sources.

Once those people die of CVD, they stop costing the system money. If they were to live longer through prevention of CVD, they would likely contract some other disease that could be more expensive to treat than the fateful CVD they could have had 20 years ago.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I am fat by choice. This is America and I have a right to be fat and burden the health care industry as a personal choice.
You do have that right, but I think you should pay more in health care premiums to compensate for said fattiness.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
That's a new piece and holds no water if you are trying to evaluate the merit of the study. You need the details of the study and that still does not mean anything for another population were a number of variable can differ.

Also as it alludes to for that population it doesn't mean healthcare should quit doing it job to save money.

You can't possibly be that black and white...any person reading the study results can make some pretty logical conclusions...D

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
You do have that right, but I think you should pay more in health care premiums to compensate for said fattiness.
Yeah Camus dutch study shows that:

The researchers found that from age 20 to 56, obese people racked up the most expensive health costs.
You might as well have no healthcare if you think not treating a widespread disease is the best way to cut healthcare cost.