Quantcast

look what Brown brought...

VaNIlLin81

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
c-ville
Why not the 5d? What are you shooting?

Should have waited for the XTI(400D) to come out. Look at the price, thats intense. I don't know what I think about it yet, saying it comes out in September, I'm fairly excited, Canon will never let anyone down.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the 5D is almost 3x the price, and three of my lenses wouldn't work w/ that body...so it would be a huge investment. plus, FF has advantages, but also disadvantages; not sure i want to go that route yet.

at this point my shots consist of three main topics:

gigs
family
vacation/landscape

if i still lived in the city i'd be doing streetscape stuff too, but that would be far/few between.

the rebelXT served me well and took a lot of great pictures for me, but i was really enamored of the improved cross sensor/AutoFocus that the 30D has, and i think i really prefer the layout of the controls after only playing w/ it for 3 minutes.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
The 50 1.4 is one of the internet's most hated lenses, but one of my favorite. I've played withe the 85 1.2 but prefer the length and weight of the 50, both lenses have a great super narrow DOF. I like the 50 1.8 as a throw-away lens, but the sharpness just isn't there like in the 1.4 version. The 5D is a stellar camera, but not for everyone, for what you're shooting, and without needing the wide angle of veiw provided bu a FF camera,you should be totaly stoked with the 30D. I personally love my 20D, and the 30D has some great improvements over the 20. The ability to adjust ISO in 1/3 stops will help eep it as low as possible at show, and a true spot meter is handy too. The big LCD is nice for some, but I could really care less, hence I bought a MarkII on closout when the MarkIIN came out.

Have fun with it, you'll love the AF too, post up the results of your next show when you have 'em.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Why not the 5d? What are you shooting?

Should have waited for the XTI(400D) to come out. Look at the price, thats intense. I don't know what I think about it yet, saying it comes out in September, I'm fairly excited, Canon will never let anyone down.

Are you retarded?

You ask about a 5D, and then say he should have waited for the XTI? The 30D is way nicer than the XTI will be. cameras are more than just megapixles ya know. :brow:

Congrats on the new Camera, I'm still with my 10D, waiting to see what Canon comes out with Early 2007. If I were gonna get a camera right now, it'd be a 30D, or a used 5D.

Rock!:banana:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
no excuses now; the pressure will be on for a higher rate of keepers ;)

splat, the rebXT has served me very well, and truth be told the only reason i got the 30D was for better AF performance shooting in lowlight. you will dig this camera, it's a very capable body (you've seen the results that shrymp and thoughtful pirate and biggins get out of theirs).

splat

Nam I am
no excuses now; the pressure will be on for a higher rate of keepers ;)

splat, the rebXT has served me very well, and truth be told the only reason i got the 30D was for better AF performance shooting in lowlight. you will dig this camera, it's a very capable body (you've seen the results that shrymp and thoughtful pirate and biggins get out of theirs).
you need to remeber I have been running the Digital rebel for 2 years now , got mine before the XT came out. I likethe faster /More FPS and the larger Megapixel count , plus it is a little smaller and the grip fits my wifes hand better .

VaNIlLin81

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
c-ville
Are you retarded?

You ask about a 5D, and then say he should have waited for the XTI? The 30D is way nicer than the XTI will be. cameras are more than just megapixles ya know. :brow:

Congrats on the new Camera, I'm still with my 10D, waiting to see what Canon comes out with Early 2007. If I were gonna get a camera right now, it'd be a 30D, or a used 5D.

Rock!:banana:
I've been into photography 2 years, I'm 16. I wont brag but I know more stuff than some 40 year old men do. My brother-in-law is a professional motorsports photographer and has been to American Le Mans, I have a great teacher. No sh** its not about the megapixels. No kidding the 30D is better, hint the price. The XTi has great 10 Mp as the 5D has 8. 30D also has a shutterspeed of 8000, and the XTi only 4000. The 30D shoots 5 Fps and the XTi only 3. I use a Mark2, and a 20D. I have the 70-200 2.8on the mark2 and a 24-70 2.8 on the 20d for pans. I only said the he should have thought about the XTi because the price on 1 hand and the very little diff. If your only going to be shooting your family, stills, gigs(whatever gigs you do). I don't see the need in paying that extra money, because you won't be using the 5 Fps nor the 8000 ss BUT you can use that extra 2 Mp. Put it that way. Please don't make me seem like a complete dumb*** by saying that Mp is not what a camera is all about, I know this.

EDIT: I only said he should have thought about the XTi when I saw what he shoots.

BIRDMAN111

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2006
at school dreaming about trails
I've been into photography 2 years, I'm 16. I wont brag but I know more stuff than some 40 year old men do. My brother-in-law is a professional motorsports photographer and has been to American Le Mans, I have a great teacher. No sh** its not about the megapixels. No kidding the 30D is better, hint the price. The XTi has great 10 Mp as the 5D has 8. 30D also has a shutterspeed of 8000, and the XTi only 4000. The 30D shoots 5 Fps and the XTi only 3. I use a Mark2, and a 20D. I have the 70-200 2.8on the mark2 and a 24-70 2.8 on the 20d for pans. I only said the he should have thought about the XTi because the price on 1 hand and the very little diff. If your only going to be shooting your family, stills, gigs(whatever gigs you do). I don't see the need in paying that extra money, because you won't be using the 5 Fps nor the 8000 ss BUT you can use that extra 2 Mp. Put it that way. Please don't make me seem like a complete dumb*** by saying that Mp is not what a camera is all about, I know this.

EDIT: I only said he should have thought about the XTi when I saw what he shoots.
BBBOOOOOAAAARRRRIIIIINNNNNGGGG, haha bryan too easy

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
vanilin, you are very fortunate to have such nice gear at yr disposal; probably worth more than my car, and i'm 2.5x yr age. i'm one of those 40 y/o guys who are still learning.

as i stated earlier, the improved AF system was the main reason i upgraded, and i didn't want to wait 2 months. impatient? probably. the spot metering, 1/3rd ISO stops, and faster fps is definitely a plus. the mag body and size, eh - the 350D body was fine for me. the intangible about controls layout i think will be an overall bonus; the scant hour i've spent w/ the 30D makes it seem like this will be a real bonus, being able to change a bunch of settings on the fly while still looking through the viewfinder.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Had to get the point across I'm not your normal medoaker photographer. I'm tired of people putting me down for photography and saying I don't know anything because I'm only 16.
where did anyone crap all over yr photoskills?

post a link to a gallery so we can take a peek.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Had to get the point across I'm not your normal medoaker photographer. I'm tired of people putting me down for photography and saying I don't know anything because I'm only 16.
psst, "mediocre"

VaNIlLin81

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
c-ville
where did anyone crap all over yr photoskills?

post a link to a gallery so we can take a peek.
When racing season was pretty much done and school was back up, my brother in law decided to stop paying for my url. I'm going to try and set one up with putfile.....although I've heard it reduces photo quality a bunch. When I do get it up and running I'll let you know. Any ideas with what site I should use?

EDIT: I've had it done before, crapped on photoskills. Even when the person had not seen what was on my CF card. I'm just use to all older people (99.7) percent of you, putting me down because I've been accepted to go out on the track, but can't sign that stupid press form because I'm not legally of age.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Wow. For not bragging there sure was alot of bragging in there. :brow:
HAHA!

Sorry, Vanilin, but there is no reason to piss on Narlus' parade. He got an awesome camera, and made his own decision on what he wanted.

The XTi has great 10 Mp as the 5D has 8.
If you are gonna prove to us you are such a know it all, at least get your facts straight. The XTi is a 10.1 MP camera, and the 5D is 12.8. if you are talking about the 30D, its an 8.2.

But I guess as a spoiled 16 year old kid that knows more than most 40 year old men, you already knew that ;)

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
SPeaking in a knowlegable fashion will get your point accross better than saying "I'm more knowlegable than most people, and I own a lot of gear" You said he should have bought either, a cheaper cmaera that was very similar to what he allready had, or one that costs 3 times more than the one he bought, not ragging on you but your statements have not really done much to prove your inteligence.

Post up some images on PhotoBucket and let us see what your work looks like.

VaNIlLin81

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
c-ville
Ok I literally just threw up this site in 5 minutes. None of these photos have been color corrected or in CS2. Just autocropped and posted, and the quality looks like I was using a point and shoot. I won't have that site much longer :disgust: .

Bryan Favara

EDIT: When I get on my desktop I will post more. Sorry for not making sense, I'm doing chemistry homework, english and ridemonkey at the same time.

EDIT 2: Sorry for this massive thread derailment. =)

VaNIlLin81

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
c-ville
HAHA!

Sorry, Vanilin, but there is no reason to piss on Narlus' parade. He got an awesome camera, and made his own decision on what he wanted.

If you are gonna prove to us you are such a know it all, at least get your facts straight. The XTi is a 10.1 MP camera, and the 5D is 12.8. if you are talking about the 30D, its an 8.2.

But I guess as a spoiled 16 year old kid that knows more than most 40 year old men, you already knew that ;)
So is this what Ridemonkey is, a bunch of assholes that assume everything? I'm going back to fred miranda. Peace, btw narlus AWESOME concert shots, 1 thing on my list I have not been able to do.

imploded

Chimp
Aug 24, 2006
Uxbridge, MA
free: photobucket, imageshack, flickr, picasaweb

pay: zenfolio, smugmug, pbase

i decided that zenfolio was good for me. if you want to check out any of my shots, head over here:

http://narlus.zenfolio.com/
I'm a smugmug guy. Great site, low cost, easy to use.

I love high end digital, but I can't break down and convert my film rigs. I've shot a Pentax P2-P for years now (their PJ rig), and I am completely addicted to it. Pentax digital bodies suck, and my WPi (waterproof, shockproof, etc) is great for P+S but creatively it just isn't the same.

I also can't get over the lack of solid low-ISO resolution response from mid-market bodies. I'm not shelling out for a 1DS Mark II, and a whole lens system. I can see why you went with the 30D Narlus, good pick, and I'll be interested to see how your sensor responds to ISO 50 and below. (I shoot primarially 50 and 100 films, but push to ISO 40 on ISO 50).

Good luck with your rig. I'm bringing mine and a slug of Ektachrome out into 'Nam with me real soon now.

Cheers,

-Andrew

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Back on topic, what does the paper have to report about Big Papi?
heart palpitations.

must have been caused by watching his own prodigious homers.

valinin, thanks for the compliments, and while FM is not a bad place, RM is cool too; don't get hotheaded because yr initial post was a bit inflammatory; we can all get along like rodney king :biggrin:

i liked yr cityscape/bridge photo the best of the 5 you posted on the putfile site.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
imploded, i'm on the other side of the ISO range most of the time. for the indoor music shots it's always @ 1600, and the lens is usually wide open (not much light, and i am very anti-flash for these sorts of things). the canon sensor seems to be the faraway best performer for high ISO w/ low noise, and i've definitely gotten some good results thus far.

i'm afraid to bring my SLR on the trails w/ me, so if i want to get some casual shots i stow my G2.