Quantcast

Look what house $375,000 buys in my area!

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
In my hometown, that would get you a 4 bedroom, 4 bath, 3 story, 3500sq ft house, 2-car garage, workshop, with 1500sq ft of deck (2 stories), overlooking 12 acres. of hillside and woodlands with deer and wild turkey.

In my current location, you can't find a studio for that.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Cooter Brown said:
"Reckless Kelly"? Their drummer is from Simsbury, just wondered, anyhow, good band if you ever get a chance to catch em live.
I saw them a while back, a little too "Nashville-y" for my likens.

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
how bout this house

converted vacation camp with a new upstairs. the ceilings are 7' tall, the floor is sloped, the lot is 0.1acres, and its a dirt basement.
price
$250k
oh, and its not where i live, its 30 miles north. you cant find a house for $250 here; hell you can hardly find a condo for that.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
Here on mid-coast Maine you can still get decent homes for not-so-inflated prices. The trade off is you are far from any major city stuff. That said the high-end (which usualy have ocean frontage) is pretty rediculous.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Capt. Jack Sparrow said:
Yeah, but you get to live in California. You're near the coast, you've got sun, fun, lots of mtn. biking... surfing... gorgeous sunsets. But paying half a million just to get a small house in D.C.? Why? Just to be surrounded by a bunch grey buildings and a lot of tight-asses who talk about politics and law in their free time? Facing heightened terror alerts? Ugh!

The closest beach to D.C. is like 120 miles!
It all depends on your point of view. Me personally, I hate the sunshine and heat. Can't stand the traffic, and the smog. I am fairly certain I wouldn't dig DC either though (Actually due to my lack of heat tolerance I would do poorly in most parts of the country). My heart is being called by the cold and rainy Pacific Northwest which is where the GF and I will end up in a few more years.

Though I do like So Cal in the winter when it's raining. Everything is green and the trails are tacky and it's not hot. Sadly the winter only last a few weeks.

Here's something to make you jealous... This is my GF's parents back deck. This is where we are getting married. They live in San Diego...

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
SkaredShtles said:
Dude - that's because it's actually a *desirable* place to live. Be glad you live somewhere like that. :p

ahh very true. im just jealous because some of you can get 3000 sq. feet for under 600,000. i do like it ehre though. sun, surf, fairly good trails.

:p Oh, and i saw Harry Connick Jr. at a shop in my town last week! :p

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
mcA896 said:
you all have no clue how lucky you are. real estate is so expensive here. $350,000 will get you this;
Come out to california so I can smack you.

Repeat after me... "I do not live in Cali therefore I am lucky in my real estate market"
350,000! P'shaw!

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
I just picked up this investment foreclosure in Rochester, NY for $34,900. I close in a couple weeks.

Here is my personal house I bought for $61,000:

You can still get a lot of house for your money in various parts of the country.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Ciaran said:
Dude. That would go for well over a mil in So Cal. :eek:
Yeah, and it would be in Van Nuys or Reseda. You always hear that houses are a lot cheaper in other parts of the country, however, when you actually see the proof it's kind of depressing.

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Crashby said:
Here is my personal house I bought for $61,000...QUOTE]
Good lord!

Around here in D.C., I hate when people ask why I "throw away" $1200 a month on rent. It's because I have no choice. $1200 a month couldn't even buy me a ghetto one-bedroom house. Probably can't even buy a rat-infested one-bedroom condo. And if I move "way out," then I'd spend hundreds a month on gasoline (and lose hours and hours to my commute--actually my gas is already about $200 a month). So I guess I am stuck renting.

If I want to get into the real estate game, I could buy part of an empty lot with like ten other people and hope to turn a profit in ten years. But that doesn't give me a place to live. Time to consider moving, for sure.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
Capt. Jack Sparrow said:
If I want to get into the real estate game, I could buy part of an empty lot with like ten other people and hope to turn a profit in ten years. But that doesn't give me a place to live. Time to consider moving, for sure.
People are actually comming to Rochester (visiting) to remotely invest in real-estate. Unique environment to say the least.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
350,000.00 United States Dollars = 497,113.79 New Zealand Dollars

http://www.realenz.co.nz (Uses stupid search thing so I can't link you up)

I live in Central Wellington.

$500,000 gets you quite a bit of house. The market is slow at the moment so there's not actually much about.

J

JRB

dfinn said:
here's one I found:

this is on the west shore of lake tahoe. they are asking $370k. it's listed as a 2bd, 1 bath. 768 sq feet, built in 1962.
My uncle's was twice that big, and brought $550k. He bought it in 90 or something like that for like $85k.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
SkaredShtles said:
A house like that is really begging to be located somewhere with a decent view:

If Colorado was 65 degrees year round, I would still live there. I loved where I originally lived in Breckenridge, at the end of the road that the golf course is on. Screw that white crap.

I never did make it to the land my parents still have in Pagosa Springs. 5 or so acres on the side of the mountain.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Capt. Jack Sparrow said:
Crashby said:
Here is my personal house I bought for $61,000...QUOTE]
Good lord!

Around here in D.C., I hate when people ask why I "throw away" $1200 a month on rent. It's because I have no choice. $1200 a month couldn't even buy me a ghetto one-bedroom house. Probably can't even buy a rat-infested one-bedroom condo. And if I move "way out," then I'd spend hundreds a month on gasoline (and lose hours and hours to my commute--actually my gas is already about $200 a month). So I guess I am stuck renting.

I'm with you on that one. The (future) father in law says to just get into a house, almost any house. He seems to forget that down payments can be hard to come by. We pay 800 a month in rent and will be moving after the 1st of the year and will likely end up paying about 1200 a month in rent. Sucks.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
SkaredShtles said:
Maybe San Diego?
Which golf course? :p BLASPHEMER! You must now cleanse yourself in Holy Powder:
The golf course on Tiger Road.

California...ehhhhh.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
SkaredShtles said:
:think: You know that road doesn't actually "end"....... :p
I put together snow mobiles at the place on that road for about a month. Good Times I think was the name of the place.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO

Price: $364,900
Listing Type: Residential
Number of Bedrooms: 3
Number of Baths: 2 full and 1 half

this is in Memphis proper. I dont know about the burbs. You can also get something smaller but on the river/downtown in the same ballpark.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Secret Squirrel said:
For the love of god....6,999,900.....what?? were they trying to aviod having it seem like a lot of money?? OOOO 7mil...can't go there...that's too much.... kinda like the dollar store selling something for 98 cents....jeez....
Its a baragin. The thing orginally listed for over 9 mil. Apparently, if you are going to spend that kind of money you are more likely to just build it the way you want it.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Changleen said:
350,000.00 United States Dollars = 497,113.79 New Zealand Dollars

http://www.realenz.co.nz (Uses stupid search thing so I can't link you up)

I live in Central Wellington.

$500,000 gets you quite a bit of house. The market is slow at the moment so there's not actually much about.

350 grand gets you a very nice house here. but in the suburbs....
300 grands gets you a very nice appartment in the city, or a nice (but small by suburban US standards) house in the city.

that is $350k, in the suburbs..

this is $400k in the city.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
on a quick cursory search, i wasn't able to find anything over $200k but i found this one at $175k. so double it and you have a $350k :D

central NC 2300 sqft, 3/2.5 bonus room. 1 acre lot $175k