Quantcast

Look what house $375,000 buys in my area!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
it just might be worthwhile to live in the midwest, if there's some sort of beacon of culture in the middle of all those cornfields

IronJim

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Santa Cruz Mountains
Capt. Jack Sparrow said:
Holy crap, I can't believe how much real estate costs in my area (Washington, D.C.)!!!! Below is a picture of a house on the market for $375,000. It's in Maryland, about ten minutes from my apartment and (about ten minutes from the D.C. border. Since it's not in D.C., it's cheaper than D.C.) It has one bedroom and one bath, and is located on less than one-fifth of an acre. Built in '49. Not even close to a Metro station! The sad thing is that it'll probably sell for at least $10,000 over its asking price!

Here's the real estate listing if you don't believe me. :)

If you all have time to post a pic or a link, what does $375,000 buy in your area? I'm looking for ideas.
a house like that would cost about 650,000 here in the Santa Cruz mountains

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
SkaredShtles said:
:think: :think: :think:

You tell me how that works out for you.

:think: :think:
i'll have plenty of time to think about where i want to go before i'm released from school :D . maybe the market will have crashed by then...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Toshi said:
i'll have plenty of time to think about where i want to go before i'm released from school :D . maybe the market will have crashed by then...
Yeah maybe.

Remember - the desirable places will still be desirable after the crash. Maybe the prices will be a little better, but it'll always be cheaper to buy a house in Godforsaken Kansas. :p

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
Capt. Jack Sparrow said:
If I want to get into the real estate game, I could buy part of an empty lot with like ten other people and hope to turn a profit in ten years. But that doesn't give me a place to live. Time to consider moving, for sure.
yup, that's one of the main reasons i want to get outta here, looking at moving to charlotte right now... we could sell our 1/2 mil townhouse, buy outright and the wife stays home with the boy.... :think:

wanna start a commune? :D

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Ciaran said:
Yeah, same here in L.A. and O.C. San Diego is even worse.

Hey wait, I thought the cops in S.B. ran you out of town if you were too poor and had a doublewide. Don't they send you to Goleta or someplace like that? :D

I think from now on if you don't live in California you aren't allowed to complain about the housing market. ;)

Edit: That house would be 500,000+ here in Pasadena.
$550,000 in the OC.
And whoever bought it would tear it down the second the loan funded to build something else. Shoot... the land alone is worth almost $600,000 here.
It would be a cool Million if it were in Newport Beach, Seal Beach, or Laguna

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
splat said:
well this is just 3 doors up the street from me for $370,000 and you can ride right to trails , any one want to be my neighbor ?
$370,000 for an semi-older house in Hopkington
$3000-$4000 a year for property taxes in Massachusetts

Ride from your driveway into 'Nam? Priceless..........
:D

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
yeah... $$$$$$$$$$$

this is why my wife and i will prolly end up in australia... my folks place is a 3/2... about 2200 sq ft... double garage, pool, retic gardens, ocean views... about a one minute walk to the beach... currently valued at about 500 K aussie (350 - 375 US)... they paid about 140 K aussie for it back in 92...

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
Here in the middle of nowhere Pennsylvania, you could purchase a similar place foe 10% of that. $40,000.00 is a mansion. we got plenty of woods to ride in, but you gotta like closed minded hillbillys, rednecks, and x-highschool al bundy types. and tht's just the women!!

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
teamkranzelbike said:
Here in the middle of nowhere Pennsylvania, you could purchase a similar place foe 10% of that. $40,000.00 is a mansion. we got plenty of woods to ride in, but you gotta like closed minded hillbillys, rednecks, and x-highschool al bundy types. and tht's just the women!!
Oh, for Pete's sake, I was thinking dreamily about Corey_DCStreet's comment about, "Wanna join a commune?" (down in N.C.) and then your post reminded me that I'm a lesbian and would have to live near a big city to reduce my chances of getting my ass whupped. Dang-it!

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
Yea, property value is just so messed up. Like I said it is cheap to live here. My parents just sold a 20yo 6 bedroom house. fireplace in famly room. 3 car garage, on a 1/3 acre on top of a mountain with deer and bear frequenting the back yard , and miles of biking trails starting in the back yard. they decided to move into town ,and bought an old well preserved victorian. with a little tlc and a more modern kitchen, they put a gran total of 80 grand into their new property ant it looks just like it did new!!. Problem is , outside of riding it is boring here. no real culture so to speak. the bars are places where depressed people contimplate how much longer they desire to live, and the lame so called clubs are where old x hs footballers still try to settle old scores. The good point is it is so cheap to live here. I have a ton of cash left over to travel to nicer places for fun. the building where my shop is located is huge with an apartment up stairs and a garage out back. it set me back a grand total of 15 grand. my 3 bikes are worth almost that much!!n IM could never fatham spending half a mill on a house?