Quantcast

Look what house $375,000 buys in my area!

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Holy crap, I can't believe how much real estate costs in my area (Washington, D.C.)!!!! Below is a picture of a house on the market for $375,000. It's in Maryland, about ten minutes from my apartment and (about ten minutes from the D.C. border. Since it's not in D.C., it's cheaper than D.C.) It has one bedroom and one bath, and is located on less than one-fifth of an acre. Built in '49. Not even close to a Metro station! The sad thing is that it'll probably sell for at least $10,000 over its asking price!

Here's the real estate listing if you don't believe me. :)

If you all have time to post a pic or a link, what does $375,000 buy in your area? I'm looking for ideas.

Attachments

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
$375,000 buys you a closet, a hotplate and a bucket.

Seriously you can't get a friggin doublewide for that coin in S.B.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Zark said:
$375,000 buys you a closet, a hotplate and a bucket.

Seriously you can't get a friggin doublewide for that coin in S.B.
Yeah, same here in L.A. and O.C. San Diego is even worse.

Hey wait, I thought the cops in S.B. ran you out of town if you were too poor and had a doublewide. Don't they send you to Goleta or someplace like that? :D

I think from now on if you don't live in California you aren't allowed to complain about the housing market. ;)

Edit: That house would be 500,000+ here in Pasadena.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
here's one I found:

this is on the west shore of lake tahoe. they are asking $370k. it's listed as a 2bd, 1 bath. 768 sq feet, built in 1962.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Just read something this morning about the DC-area "bubble" and how it may already be deflating. Only time will tell. Fairfax County saw an 8% decrease in sales compared to last July; Arlington County: 19% decrease.

BussaFrame

Monkey
Apr 19, 2005
The housing market in DC is also out of control. Someone will actually buy that house just for the land, then demo it and build a new house. The neighborhood I used to live in sold "starter" homes from the mid 600's, and that was last summer.

With the way prices were rising, the home prices had to even out eventually. Peoples salaries were not growing fast enough to keep up with the housing market in the D.C. area.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Pasadena (in a VERY bad area. There is no way I would live in this area)
2 bed
1bath
appx 800 square feet
lot is .21 acre

Listed at 430,000

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR

11 Pine Valley Drive, Moreau, NY $319,900

Immaculate three bedroom Cape with master bedroom on the first floor with 3/4 bathroom. Large family room with gas fireplace. Two half baths on first floor with living room and large kitchen, with dining area. Second floor has two good size bedrooms and full bath. Basement is finished and is great for a game room. Large deck with brand new hot tub, with in ground pool with the pool furniture staying. Yard is landscaped beautifully and has a sprinkler system. A jewel in the Town of Moreau.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Well, at least the taxes are cheap: $2195/year???

$375K will buy a fairly nice house in the Philly area. My house is about 1/3 that... and somewhat larger... and I can walk to the train station... about 3 miles to I-95... 2 hr drive to NYC... about 2 hrs to Diablo...

My g/f's house is in a nice area of NJ near Princeton. 2-3 BR, 1.5 Bath, Nice kitchen, weird layout (1870 house w/ additions). Sits on 1/2 acre with a huge 2-car detached garage/shop. Bought for $270K, valued at $350K when she refinanced a year later.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
Nice Azz Crib
How's this

Listing Price: $334500

Grand log home on 6 acres M/L, 5 minutes from I-40 off of Highway 287 in Morrilton. Huge vista from this hilltop home. Wonderful open floor plan. Be pampered by the luxurous master suite with its oversized bedroom, bath and closet. The great room has floor-to-ceiling fireplace with pellet stove. Three bedrooms, three baths; great room; breakfast and formal dining area; designer kitchen; loft office; utility room; HUGE three-car garage. Enjoy evenings on the large deck alone or with lots of friends. Listen to the songs of the nightingales and owls as the breeze whispers through the trees. There is a very good garden spot for the home gardener. The house and deck have new stain and water proofing as of June 1, 2004. Directions: Take Harding St. to Hwy 9 turn left to Hwy 287 turn right, take Hwy 287 to Deerfield Addition turn right to White Tail Lane turn left follow White Tail to top of ridge.

This is why I left Chicago........

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Ciaran said:
Hey wait, I thought the cops in S.B. ran you out of town if you were too poor and had a doublewide. Don't they send you to Goleta or someplace like that? :D
No, no, no. They run you out of town only if you are wearing a bra. :blah: "We don't see nips pokin through, hit the road!"

I'm Goleta white trash by choice thank you :p

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I Are Baboon said:
Me = 90 minutes from Fenway Park. You = ehhh...a bit further. :p
that's a low blow. You got me beat there. I used to be less than a 20 min walk and grew up about 2 hours away. I will be back there in a couple of years, for now my yearly trip will have to do.

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Ciaran said:
...I think from now on if you don't live in California you aren't allowed to complain about the housing market. ;)

Edit: That house would be 500,000+ here in Pasadena.
Yeah, but you get to live in California. You're near the coast, you've got sun, fun, lots of mtn. biking... surfing... gorgeous sunsets. But paying half a million just to get a small house in D.C.? Why? Just to be surrounded by a bunch grey buildings and a lot of tight-asses who talk about politics and law in their free time? Facing heightened terror alerts? Ugh!

The closest beach to D.C. is like 120 miles!

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
The house my parents live in at Stafford, VA was bought in 1987 for around $210k. Now the same house in the neighborhood sells for $520k. Will be nice for them since they will sell the house when my father retires in 2 years.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Capt. Jack Sparrow said:
Yeah, but you get to live in California. You're near the coast, you've got sun, fun, lots of mtn. biking... surfing... gorgeous sunsets. But paying half a million just to get a small house in D.C.? Why? Just to be surrounded by a bunch grey buildings and a lot of tight-asses who talk about politics and law in their free time? Facing heightened terror alerts? Ugh!

The closest beach to D.C. is like 120 miles!
is someone forcing you to live there?

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
lets put it this way i did a search for my town and they didn't even have any that were close to 375,000. for under 300k you can easily get something around 3000 sq ft with a 2 car garage and like 4 bedrooms. i'd say my mothers house would sell for around 120,000 on a good day and its like 1700 sq ft colonial with a full garage attic, deck, pool, 3 bedrooms, decent yard and in a good school district.

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
I Are Baboon said:
$369,900 in Simsbury, CT. 2 bedrooms, 3.5 baths, 2 car garage, c/a, 1831 sq feet, built in 1993, and (best of all) about three miles from IAB and MBC.

not to derail, but have you heard of a band called "Reckless Kelly"? Their drummer is from Simsbury, just wondered, anyhow, good band if you ever get a chance to catch em live.