Quantcast

look what I ended up doing today

magimerlin

Chimp
Feb 15, 2006
Houston, Tx
I snaped a frame, well the rear triangle. It's on my 04 Jamis Dakar XC Comp. It was our second trip into Salem SF. Same trip just entered again. About 1/8 mile in, if that it, sounded like my tire was rubbing a stick. Well it wasn't. Thats when I found this. Sorry for the large pics. Aren't the welds suppose to be stronger then the part its holding together?

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
You should have no problem getting it fixed. Make sure you have the shop check the seatstays too to make sure they didn't bend. Loco bent his seatstays; I didn't but mine cracked on the driveside. The new stay have a reinforcement piece now.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Yeah you should be able to get that replaced no problem. Those chainstays were really weak, I know at least 1 or 2 other guys that broke theirs as well.

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
yeah, they're good on warrantying their frames. i know i guy that broke his frame 3 times in the same spot, and each time they got him a new frame. of course they weren't very happy when he came back the 3rd time.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
That's a dodgy weld to be sure. Textbook brittle failure by the look of it. That'd make me worried about the rest of the welding on the frame.

BIRDMAN111

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2006
at school dreaming about trails
too bad you dont have the upgraded rear triangle. its more stable with more support right where yours broke. i know because i have the stronger rear triangle on my dakar xlt. sucks for you. usually they will send you the new rear triangle

magimerlin

Chimp
Feb 15, 2006
Houston, Tx
Good news. I finally got my bike back. Jamis had to send out a second
chainstay. First was old (same as my original cracked one) design and blue/silver. Second
was the right one. It was the new design and was silver. Here is a new pic...

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
magimerlin said:
Good news. I finally got my bike back. Jamis had to send out a second
chainstay. First was old (same as my original cracked one) design and blue/silver. Second
was the right one. It was the new design and was silver. Here is a new pic...
Nice looking machine work. Remember though, whatever you do...DO NOT REMOVE THAT LABEL! ;)