Quantcast

Lookin for a all around fork

Oct 10, 2007
GA
So Im in the market for a new fork. I previously had a Nixon comp and it was a piece of junk! These are the two forks I have it narrowed down too.
Pike Coil
http://www.niagaracycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=13003
Domain 318
http://www.niagaracycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=13003
Im leaning toard the Pike but my concern with it is how will going from a 160mm fork to a 140mm fork affect the geometry on this bike?
http://www.fujibikes.com/2005/bikes.asp?id=30

I am a light rider I only way around 150. My riding style is light freerideing so I am gunna huck some stuff but I ride urban and the occasional xc also so this fork has to be able to handle it all. I like the fact that the Pike only ways 5 pounds. I have ridden the Pike and it seems like a great fork. Any knowledge is appreciated.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
I'd look at a used 36 talas. Not sure if it's quite short enough at 100mm for really trialsy street, but it would be my competition with the pike.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I've seen a few pikes explode without much prompting. The Domains look pretty solid, but I haven't yet gathered enough courage to buy anything but marzocchi.

disasterarea

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Looking for a new fork also and at the moment the talas 36. Is there such a difference between the R and the RC2 to justify the price difference? Do I really need the bells and whistles of the RC2 version or will the R work fine? Thanks. My last fork was a Pike U turn coil. Good fork and has held up well to my bad skills until recently. Just wanted to try something new otherwise would just go for another Pike. Thanks.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Unlike my experience with Rockshox the knobs on the Fox actually do something. So yes, if you like to dial ride characteristics perfectly get the extra tuning on the 36. I really like the high/low speed compression adjustment on mine. It's truly what makes it an "all around" fork.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Looking for a new fork also and at the moment the talas 36. Is there such a difference between the R and the RC2 to justify the price difference? Do I really need the bells and whistles of the RC2 version or will the R work fine? Thanks. My last fork was a Pike U turn coil. Good fork and has held up well to my bad skills until recently. Just wanted to try something new otherwise would just go for another Pike. Thanks.
Yes. Get the RC2. The Talas R is pretty unimpressive. It takes some fiddling with the compression to get it right.

To the OP: Your Nixon is 145mm of travel, and has a fairly short a-c for its travel. I'd get the Pike, and keep things consistent. The Domain is going to be long and heavy for that bike.

ESPI!

Chimp
Jan 9, 2008
Get a Pike. Its sturdy, light and easy to service. And yes believe it or not all those knobs do stuff, some of the adjustments Rockshox motion control dampers provide you with are very unique and useful, and their travel adjustment whether air or coil is super reliable, unlike every TALAS fork I've seen thats failed. The 36 is a great fork, but if you go that route do youself a favor and get a non TALAS fork. You can still adjust the travel down if you want, and it'll be cheaper and more reliable.