Quantcast

Looking at buying a new DJ - Opinions?

Apr 11, 2010
Hey,
I am looking at some more high range DJ bikes and wondering if anybody has preferences and why.
Would prefer Hydraulic brakes and single speed (fox shox also!)
I could say my budget is generous.. ;)

I was interested in buying a '10 Giant STP SS but they aren't sold in Australia! :mad:
Looking at Kona Cowan, Scott Voltage YZ 0.1, Spec P3 etc

I want a bike that's not going to give me problems, like my ex-bike, 2008 Giant STP 0. Buckled rims, loose spokes, brakes stuffing up and need replacing, bent dérailleur multiple times etc.

Any help would be great.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Hey,
I am looking at some more high range DJ bikes and wondering if anybody has preferences and why.
Would prefer Hydraulic brakes and single speed (fox shox also!)
I could say my budget is generous.. ;)

I was interested in buying a '10 Giant STP SS but they aren't sold in Australia! :mad:
Looking at Kona Cowan, Scott Voltage YZ 0.1, Spec P3 etc

I want a bike that's not going to give me problems, like my ex-bike, 2008 Giant STP 0. Buckled rims, loose spokes, brakes stuffing up and need replacing, bent dérailleur multiple times etc.

Any help would be great.
If you have a generous budget... then build one up. If you want aluminum, then the Transition banks would be a better pick than all of the above. Going with steel you can get tighter geo and not really sacrifice too much in weight. I think I'd be safe in saying most of the riders here ride steel dirtjump bikes. Depending on how you want to build it up... you can get a nice custom build for about from 1000-1300.. weighing anywhere from 30lbs to 26lbs. How tall are you?

Apr 11, 2010
I am about 5'7. I pretty much want a ready built bike then I might just change forks or something on it to suit me a little better

Apr 11, 2010
I was like 5'4 at the start of the year so that's why I am looking at a 26" instead, as I would most likely grow out of the 24

Apr 11, 2010
Buy the Transition Bank with the single speed dj build.
Wow that's actually just what I am looking for! Thanks, do you know where they can be bought in Australia?

I am a little confused on which forks are best for what I am using it for.
Skate park, dirt jumps mainly.
I don't think I am looking for any of the Fox "36" models.
Leaning towards 32 Float 140 RLC FIT or maybe the 32 831 RC?

Would I need to convert it to single myself or is it an option? Where do I order from?

Thanks

fro biker

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
in the sticks
shameless plug. Cove Foreplay.
http://www.ridemonkey.com/classifieds/cat-3/ad-11892/?ltr=C

just a thought. this bike is killer and most people forget about it b/c of its canadian origins. perfect for your height (it is the "short" model) and it is light light light with the proper bracing and geo to go hard. it will take you as far as you are willing to push.

here are the full specs: http://www.covebike.com/bikes/foreplay.html

if this is not your cup of tea, there are a lot of options for completes out there.

Rideforfun

Monkey
Nov 23, 2009
Get the Bank (Or the Trail Or Park, they are the exact same geo just different materials) with the single speed setup and the Argyle 318. Thats the route I would go if I had the money.

Apr 11, 2010
Get the Bank (Or the Trail Or Park, they are the exact same geo just different materials) with the single speed setup and the Argyle 318. Thats the route I would go if I had the money.
Yeah I have pretty much decided on that Bank. Looks like just what I want.
How come you chose the Argyle over the fox forks?
Where can I buy it in Australia?

Rideforfun

Monkey
Nov 23, 2009
Every bike I've been on with the argyle has felt great. Its a solid, simple fork. Exactly what you want for dirt jumping. All fox forks have about 80 million adjustments where the argyle only has about 3, the only three you need rebound, compression and preload. It is however a bit heavier so if your a weight monger... A quick look on Transition's website showed that this www.revolutionproducts.com.au is the only distributer in Australia.

Apr 11, 2010
Every bike I've been on with the argyle has felt great. Its a solid, simple fork. Exactly what you want for dirt jumping. All fox forks have about 80 million adjustments where the argyle only has about 3, the only three you need rebound, compression and preload. It is however a bit heavier so if your a weight monger... A quick look on Transition's website showed that this www.revolutionproducts.com.au is the only distributer in Australia.
Alright cool thanks. I will probably go with one of the Fox forks. I had the Argyle on my STP and I wasn't a big fan of it. I rode a bike with fox forks and they were very nice and plush.

What would you choose?
32 831 RLC
32 Vanilla 140RLC FIT
or 32 Float 140RLC FIT

Last edited:

spec-rider88

Monkey
Oct 22, 2006
St.Leonard, MD
Hard to beat Fox quality, but their options for DJ are really slim. The 831 is their first dj/aggro fork that's not a 36, but the price on that thing is steep. I've read A LOT of great reviews on it though. It uses the 15mm thru axle, so you will have to get a new front wheel or hub if the one you have cannot be converted. Out of the three forks you listed, I'd go with the 831. It's the most stout, and the other two just have wayyy too much travel for that frame. A 140mm fork would make that bike handle really goofy, unless you were planning on lowering them that is.

Apr 11, 2010
That's what I was thinking.
As one of the options you can choose for it to come with the 831's (with extra cost of course) so i am presuming they will make sure the wheel will fit.
I'll see if they can do a good deal on an 09 with 831's. In the mean time I might look around to see if any other nice bikes on the market.
cheers

Apr 11, 2010
I got a NS Metropolis today, like a third of the price of a bank still with nice parts. I might change seat and brakes, that's pretty much it.