Quantcast

looking at the stp for next season.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
The important thing is TT size. ST doesn't really matter too much. The info should be on Giant's site.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
the stp is a nice frame by the way.....has a longish feel to it since JLo is the size of a friggin giant.....thats why he rides for Giant bikes...

Pjumper

Chimp
Oct 23, 2006
2 inches is a massive difference, the bike will be soo much different. 23 inches is a long DJ bike, 20 is short. 1/2 inch can make a huge difference, in BMX i've heard of guys being so picky as 1/4 inch and not buying a frame...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Um, you sure you're on a 20" top tube? That's really short for a BMX or a MTB.

The TT length is THE MOST IMPORTANT SIZING PART, that's why people are picky. 1/4" is very important to me.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
while i think that nitpicking a 1/4" is a little over the top, i think a 2" difference is gonna be tough to adjust to.

going to a frame 2" longer is gonna mess with your ability to keep the front wheel up -manualling- and your ability to keep it down -railing corners.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
anyone ca nadjust to any bike and he may find that he rides better with a longer top tube....ya never know. i went from a P1 to a sould cycles titan and they are very different and adjusted fine...ended up riding muck better on the soul than i did on the P1...i would however try to test ride one if possible.

and for kicks, what would be a good DJ fully. i will prolly be able to afford something around 2500-3000 at the very most, but that would be around the end of summer, begining of fall which wouldnt matter. and i got a ironhorse yakuza aniki, not the best freeride fully, but i thought with a new fork and rear shock do you think it would work? if so would you be able to recomend a good fork and rear shock for dj's, and maybe some other parts, right now its all stock except for a halo rear wheel. and im not really a weight weenie, so im open to alot of suggestions. thanks.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Transition Double, Specialized SX, Morewood Ndiza ST, Transition Bottlerocket (for DJ and Freeride), Mountain Cycle battery.

lol, damn it i shoulda been kinda specific on that one. my lbs doesnt do business with any of them. well atleast not the one i go to. they sell santa cruz, giant, jamis, dk but i dont think they make fullys, i believe they deal with intense, and a few others i cant think of right onow, but ill make sure they do or dont deal with transition. thanks for the suggestions though, if the nearest transition dealer is close enough ill look into a bottle rocket. thanks again.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Well Morewood gives employees of ANY shop employee cost, so keep that one in mind. The guys there are great to work with and very helpful.

Intense makes a Tazer mountaincross bike. If you're smooth it could work.

Santa Cruz makes the Blur 4X, a great all-round trail/jump/play bike.

Giant makes more XC/trail bikes than 4X but I've seen Trances modified for 4X and light jumping and they look money.

Jamis makes the Dakar which is in the same boat as the Trance.

With Transition, the Bottlerocket is more slopestyle and the Double is more DJ, so I don't know which sounds better as far as what you're doing. They're also a cool company, it'd be worth shooting them an e-mail and seeing if they do a Morewood-esque discount at all.

alright, thanks alot youve helped out quite a bit. ill deffinatly check into some of those, there is a specialized dealer that is basically as far away as the lbs i normall go to. would a sx trail I be something to look in to. i know berrecloth (sp?) was doin slopstyle i believe it was on a what i think was a sx trail right? thanks again.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
By a jumping fully, do you mean for BMX style jumps or for freeride?

If you're freeriding the SX Trail and Bottlerocket are AWESOME, but for more BMX-kinda stuff and quick trailriding (but not DH) the other, more small-travel bikes would be better.

well i guess it would be more along the lines of freeriding. and possibly some simple and easy DH. kinda like big jumps, and some drops etc etc. and depending on where i go there might be some "obstacles". its just like a mix of freeride, DH, and slopstyle sorta stuff. and im kinda leaning towards the SX Trail, mostly because it seems to be the best thing close buy thats a complete not just a frame, isnt specifically freeride or dh, or xc. and the lbs i go to mostly like i said sells intense, santa cruz-which is mostly beyond the price range, giant-the only thing i can think of getting is the new fr glory, or the faith and those are more like specifically freeride and dh. and the closest transition dealer is out of state or on the other side of the state literally. so im seriously considering the sx trail I. and i think this is enough ranting for now, and as usual thanks a ton for the help and what not.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
if there isnt a dealer close to you call transition, they sell direct under such cases, plus they are nice and will answer any Q's you might have, or try mailorder thru dropnzone, Allen deals lots of other brands

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
well i guess it would be more along the lines of freeriding. and possibly some simple and easy DH. kinda like big jumps, and some drops etc etc. and depending on where i go there might be some "obstacles". its just like a mix of freeride, DH, and slopstyle sorta stuff. and im kinda leaning towards the SX Trail, mostly because it seems to be the best thing close buy thats a complete not just a frame, isnt specifically freeride or dh, or xc. and the lbs i go to mostly like i said sells intense, santa cruz-which is mostly beyond the price range, giant-the only thing i can think of getting is the new fr glory, or the faith and those are more like specifically freeride and dh. and the closest transition dealer is out of state or on the other side of the state literally. so im seriously considering the sx trail I. and i think this is enough ranting for now, and as usual thanks a ton for the help and what not.
Honestly I think an SX Trail is the bike for you. I rode my buddys and immediadely asked him if he would trade for my Demo 8. When they're set up right you don't have to worry about them and they kill everything. They're soooo fast on the DH too!

The Bottlerocket's a bit more freeride, with less travel, so less DH, but it's a damn nice bike too. Either way you'll end up w/ a sick ride w/ either of those 2.

alright man. i was kinda leaning toward the sx trail just because it would be easier to get a hold of it, rather than callin and askin to send it directly to my house. and like you said thesx trail would be better on the dh, and the closest resort, if thats what ya wanna call it, is more or less downhill. and as i keep getting better dh'ing i could probably just upgrade the bike a bit as i go. that and ive been working on a bit of freeride oriented stuff, a few good sized jumps, and a drop or two, luckily my family owns 12 acres of unused land for me to work with :D thanks again for helping me out with this decision, even though it wont be till next summer, maybe into fall :( but thats ok.