Quantcast

Looking for a CHEAP DH Rig...

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
Hey guys...

I haven't owned a full on DH bike yet and this looks like the year. (I sold my 6" travel Versus Blitz last year.) I am eventually going to be purchasing a new bike (most likely complete) but I do not have the cash right now. I don't want to miss out on a lot of the riding and racing season while I save up for a new bike.

My goal is to pick up a raceable bike under $1000. Again, it will be temporary, and anything is better than nothing. Realistically, what are my options? I hope to have the money for it within the next 4-6 weeks or so. I just figured better to look early and get some options, rather than waiting until the last second.

So.... let me know if you guys have anything in that price range that you are looking to get rid of in the near future. I'm about 6'2" and just under 200 pounds. I would prefer complete but darn close could work as well.

Thanks guys.

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
I'm a wrench at a shop so I don't mind if I need to do some service to the thing or even replace some low cost items. I know it's not going to be the latest and greatest but at the level I'm at I doubt it would be holding me back much. As long as it isn't falling apart every time I get on it. Haha

A Giant Faith was actually one of the bikes I was looking for.

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
honestly i would just save it, you won't miss that much. you know, get your nice new bike faster.

Well.... one of the bikes I was really looking at is the new Trek Session 8. The problem is that it won't be released until mid summer at the earliest it looks like. A lot of times with new bikes like that, we can't EP them right away either. That right away causes me to lose almost all of the season this year, if not all of it. Anything else I was looking into would likely be even more expensive (Morewood, Intense, etc.) with the exception of maybe SWD. I'd like to get on a bike, any bike, for at least most of the season....

Or is that logic completely wrong?

renorider40

Monkey
Aug 22, 2005
ah gotcha, well that makes a little more sense then. haha i thought you were going to spend money in preparation for saving money.

well the faith would def be a good one to look at, you can probably find them pretty cheap, mine was cheap and i bought it new. great bike to, it would probably be one of my first picks.

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
In the end I basically would be spending money to save money. I get a "not as good" bike to ride sooner and it pushes my better bike a little further along. I think I'm better doing that than not riding though.... 6 of one half dozen of the other at this point.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Spam...I'm hocking an 04/05 GT DHI with decent bits on it - 888, roco, Juicy 7s, etc...well used but in good working shape. I'd let it go for $1K shipped. PM if interested.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Spam...I'm hocking an 04/05 GT DHI with decent bits on it - 888, roco, Juicy 7s, etc...well used but in good working shape. I'd let it go for $1K shipped. PM if interested.
Thats a good bike, I loved my DHI. Its older, but that bike did win a lot of world cups

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
As of right now the GT is my best option. I have a feeling that I will be too cramped on a medium anything. (My Versus Blitz I was a Large and it felt too small to me. I kept hitting my knees on the stem/fork legs when really trying to stand up and hammer.) There are a couple faiths I have seen that look decent as well. I'm waiting for the RM classifieds to slowly fill back up too. Haha

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
I'm not sure what size JeffD's DHi is. However, if it is a medium and your looking for a large, PM me. I have an '01 DHi that was only ridden in '01 that is a large. Similar deal.

illflip

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Newark, NJ
stalk ebay for some deals. im pretty sure u can find an older Stinky or Big Hit frame for less than $500. $1000 is kinda of a tight budget though for an entire race build.

if you want a really good bike, ur just gonna have to bite the bullet and save and take ur time. im building my first DH rig. found a sinister R9 frame and a boxxer team, and im already at $1400. gonna be a while till its ready. probably late june.

if you wanna ride...why dont u just rent while ur saving?

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
Uhh, he has several offers of complete race ready bikes for $1000.

Exactly. Just because it isn't brand new or a season old doesn't mean that it isn't raceable. I'm no pro, and a couple extra pounds or a little extra pedal bob isn't going to kill me. Building up a bike even from older used parts will likely be more than $1000. That is why I am looking at older completes. I know that some people probably have a second bike laying around that they used to race but haven't ever tried to sell. I can build my dream bike later in the year or another season. The fact is that some places I will be going I can't rent. Renting is a worse investment than buying a used bike as well. At least at the end of the day I have a bike going the older used route.

That said, thanks for the offers thus far.

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
Well, thanks for all of the offers everyone. A local guy just picked up an ECD and is giving me one hell of a deal on his '04 V10. I can't pass it up. It's coming in a decent bit under $1000 with some nice parts. I'll throw a pic or two up when I get it later this week.