Quantcast

Looking for a frame

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
OK, I'm looking to build up a trail/XC oriented SS. I don't have a frame and I want to build one up. I'm looking to buy a bike with these requirements:

-STEEL
-Decently light, no DJ frames. Somewhere around 4.5 pounds
-Horizontal or sliding vertical dropouts, NO EBB
-Must have V-Brake mounts
-Under $400, I'm not looking to break the bank. If it's a little over that's fine though, tempt me.
-New or used, let the spamming begin
-1 1/8 steerer tube, designed around 3/4" fork
-Long enough for XC (around a 17")
-Somewhere around a 70 degree head angle and 16.5" CS length
-Cool!

I've been looking at the On-One Inbred, it looks pretty cool. Also, I have someone local who can cut tubes for me, would it be worth it to pay someone to weld the tubes for me? I would want TIG welding or something strong. How much would something like that cost?

Thanks a lot!

EDIT: I also want clearance for a 2.5 rear tire or thereabouts. Now that I look at the EBB, it looks like an OK design. Are they reliable? I want this to be an everyday MTB, so reliablility is key.

mtnbikej

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
So. CAL.
Bicyclist said:
OK, I'm looking to build up a trail/XC oriented SS. I don't have a frame and I want to build one up. I'm looking to buy a bike with these requirements:

-STEEL
-Decently light, no DJ frames. Somewhere around 4.5 pounds
-Horizontal or sliding vertical dropouts, NO EBB
-Must have V-Brake mounts
-Under $400, I'm not looking to break the bank. If it's a little over that's fine though, tempt me.
-New or used, let the spamming begin
-1 1/8 steerer tube, designed around 3/4" fork
-Long enough for XC (around a 17")
-Somewhere around a 70 degree head angle and 16.5" CS length
-Cool!

I've been looking at the On-One Inbred, it looks pretty cool. Also, I have someone local who can cut tubes for me, would it be worth it to pay someone to weld the tubes for me? I would want TIG welding or something strong. How much would something like that cost?

Thanks a lot!

EDIT: I also want clearance for a 2.5 rear tire or thereabouts. Now that I look at the EBB, it looks like an OK design. Are they reliable? I want this to be an everyday MTB, so reliablility is key.

How about a Surly 1x1. Steel....medium frame weighs in at about 4.9 lbs. Cost about $499 including front rigid fork. Horizontal Dropouts. 2.7" tire clearance. Designed around 80mm fork. 71 degree headangle with 80mm fork.

http://www.surlybikes.com/1X1.html

mtnbikej

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Hmm, sounds good. Rigid is the way to go! I'm also looking at the Soul Cycles Hooligan and the On-One Inbred. All 3 sound like good choices.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I've decided to lug/braze my own frame. A local builder is helping me out. It'll be 853.