Quantcast

Looking for a good Chili recipe

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Just looking for a good chili recipe for the fall.

Something simple would be awesome.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
stosh said:
Just looking for a good chili recipe for the fall.

Something simple would be awesome.
Do you have a crock-pot?

1 lb of ground meat - Use 85% beef / pork or substitute ground turkey if you want a less-fat product. Seasoned, you won't be able to tell the difference.
Chili powder
Garlic to taste. Fresh is best, but garlic powder will do.
1-2 jalapeno's. Substitute with habanero's / scotch bonnets if you like really hot stuff.
1 medium sized red onion
1 small sweet pepper (green, yellow, red)
Cumin to taste
1 16 oz can of tomato sauce
1 16 oz can of diced tomatoes
1 can small kidney beans, rinsed and drained. (2 cans if you like beans a lot).

Brown the ground meat in a large frying pan. While the meat is cooking, add the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes to the crock-pot and turn on. Add garlic. Add cumin. Chop the onion, and sweet and hot peppers into small pieces and add to the crock-pot. Add the kidney beans. Stir well. After meat is brown, crumble it up and add chili powder and a little water. Turn up heat and stir until water evaporates. Now add to crock-pot with the rest of the ingredients and stir until blended. Put top on and let it slow cook for at least 4 hours, 6 is better. Go out to the kitchen and stir it every 30-45 minutes.

When done cooking and the crock-pot has cooled off, place it in the fridge, and do not serve the chili until the next day. This really lets the flavor develop. I usually make chili while I am home watching football or doing something in the yard / around the house on the weekend.

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
In a box
somebody once told me that every man is born knowing how to make chili. You have a general idea what's in it stosh, just go for it.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
My mother-in-law uses this easy recipe:
brown 1 lb. ground beef
add 1 can tomato soup (do not dilute)
add 1 qt. tomato juice
add 1 pkg. chili mix
add 1-2 cans chili beans (do not drain)

simmer until desired consistency.

I generally add some garlic, onion, crushed red peppers, etc. for some added heat as it's pretty mild.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Saw this on Food TV and it looked awesome. I haven't tried it myself but it's close to the chili recipie that I've been doing with a couple of interesting tweaks...

Chiarello Chocolate Chili Con Carne Recipe courtesy Michael Chiarello

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Medium
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Yield: 10 to 12 servings
User Rating:

3 pounds beef chuck
Freshly ground black pepper
Gray salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus 1 teaspoon
1 teaspoon ground cumin, plus 2 teaspoons
2 tablespoons chili powder, plus 2 tablespoons
Masa harina (Mexican corn flour)
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup lard (Manteca)
4 red onions, peeled and minced
6 cloves garlic, minced
4 jalapeno peppers, sliced thin with seeds, stems removed
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 to 3 (12-ounce) bottles beer
1 (12-ounce) can diced tomato in juices
1 quart chicken stock
3 (12-ounce) cans black beans
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, cut into large chunks

Cut the chuck into ¾-inch pieces, or, to save time, have your butcher do this for you. Place the chuck in a large bowl. Season liberally with pepper (about 20 turns of the pepper grinder) and grey salt to taste– remember half of this will come off in the pan. Season with 1/2 teaspoon of the cinnamon, 1 teaspoon of the cumin, and 2 tablespoons of the chili powder. Mix this well and coat the meat with the masa harina (this is a ground hominy flour common to Mexican cuisine and easily found in the Mexican food sections of many grocery stores). The flour will thicken the sauce and give it a specific, Mexican taste.
Preheat a cast iron Dutch oven on the stove over medium high heat. Add the olive oil and then the coated meat, spreading it evenly so it covers the bottom of the Dutch oven in 1 layer. Leave it alone, without turning it, so the meat will brown and caramelize. Meanwhile, add the lard. The meat has a lot of moisture in it, so a good amount of steam will come from the pan before it is caramelized. As it browns, slowly turn each piece with tongs. Once all sides are caramelized, remove the meat from the pan with a slotted spoon and place on a cookie sheet to cool, leaving juices in the Dutch oven to saute vegetables. Add the onions and garlic and saute for 5 minutes over medium heat until they start to caramelize and get soft. Add the jalapenos and allow to cook for 2 more minutes until soft. Add the tomato paste. Some of the same spices as were used on the meat will be used in the sauce. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons of the cumin, 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon, the oregano, and 2 heaping tablespoons of the chili powder. Add beer. Stir to incorporate everything. Add diced tomatoes, and stir. Then add the reserved meat. Add chicken stock. Simmer for 1 1/2 hours until meat is wonderfully tender. Strain juice from the black beans, add the beans to the chili pot and bring up to simmer. Then add chunks of bittersweet chocolate. Stir until it melts. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.

Episode#: MO1B13
Copyright © 2003 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved
Be sure to get chuck beef. Don't bother with expensive cuts it'll ruin both the chili and the meat. Stew beef works great.

Mike

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Texas Red (notice the lack of tomato's and beans) :drool:

Servings: 6
Ingredients:

3 lbs boned beef chuck, cut into 1 1/2" cubes and trimmed of fat
1 Tbsp bacon drippings
6 dried ancho peppers
2 cups cold water
1 Tbsp oregano
3 cups water
1 Tbsp cumin seeds, crushed
2 tsp salt
2 tsp cayenne
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
2 Tbsp masa harina (Mexican hominy flour)

Put the meat through the coarse blade of a meat grinder. Brown in small
batches in the bacon fat in a large skillet over moderately high heat.
Transfer the cooked meat to a second large heavy skillet using a slotted
spoon. Set aside. Wash the peppers in cold water. Discard the stems
and seeds. Tear the peppers into 2" pieces. Place the pieces in a
small sauce pan with the first measure of (cold) water. Cover. Simmer
20 minutes.

Drain, reserving the cooking water. Peel the skin from the peppers.
Place in the work bowl of a food processor. Add the reserved water.
Puree with short pulses. Mix the pepper puree into the beef. Add the
second measure of water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat
to a slow simmer. Cover. Simmer for 30 minutes.

Stir in all the remaining ingredients except the masa harina. Cover.
Simmer 45 minutes. Mix in the masa harina. Cover. Reduce heat to the
lowest possible. Cook 30 minutes longer, stirring occasionally so that
the mixture doesn't stick. If too thick, thin with small amounts of
boiling water. Serve.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Crazy Sweeper said:
Please elaborate
Chile = yummy goodness made from red or green chile.
Real chile can be had in green chile stew, Menudo, Posole etc. :love:
Link: http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave/nmcuisine.asp#Red Chile Sauce

Chili = Chili, at least in New Mexico, refers to a nasty Texas soup, prepared with diced or ground beef and chili powder and where it's bland tastelessness is disguised with heat. See Hormel chili & beans... :dead:

I recommend just doing a search on White Chicken Chili or Cincinnatti Chili.

As for the diffenence between chile and chili... well chile is a pepper and what everyone seem to be referring to as "chile" is either a chile sauce or chile paste. Like asking whats the difference between vegetable soup and a tomato.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
stosh..any combination of ground beef ( you can substitute ground turkey for a less fat version ..and yes it still tastes awesome) beans( i use 3 different kinds), cayenne pepper, green,red,yellw peppers, onion, garlic is fine ... after browning the chopped meat with some garlic and onion .. throw all of it in a slow cooker and cook for 5 hours... mmm yummie!!!!

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
caboverpete said:
I recommend just doing a search on White Chicken Chili or Cincinnatti Chili.
what's the difference between 'normal' chili and cincinnatti? to my knowlege the main difference is that cincinnatti is served on spagetthi (sp?)? it's still a red chilli though, correct?

I personally preffer to make chilli verde. i'm pretty much over 'normal' red chilli these days....

pnj's ass wompin super duper tastey, better then you even, chilli verde:

go to the store or farmers market and pick out EVERY chilli they have minus the standard 'green chilli'.
jalapeno
poblano
anehiem (sp?)
serranos
etc.

garlic
fresh tomittios or a large can if you can't get fresh
large onion

your choice of meat. I preffer chicken or pork.

chicken or veggie stock.

for spices, cummin, chilli powder, cyan, corriander and whatever else looks good.

roast the veggies on a coal fire grill or use your oven if you have too...

peal the skins off the veggies and chop into small pieces. throw them into a large pot and cook w/ the spices for a few minutes on medium.
add the stock and simmer.

meanwhile...
sear your meat on the grill. let rest and cut into whatever sized shapes you like. I like bats and skulls....

add to the pan and continue to simmer.tasting and adding whatever spices you like.

if you want a more soup like chilli, leave or add liquid. if you want to use it on say, nachos, cook the liquid out...

I sometimes like to add white beans as well.

as mentioned, you already know how to cook chilli. get what you know is in it and get to creating your own kick ass recipe....

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
caboverpete said:
The main differences in the Cincinnati chili i have made has been serving it on spagetti and using cinnamon and cocoa along with the standard chili spices.

BBWWWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!

:insert SS's laughing smiley here:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
caboverpete said:
The main differences in the Cincinnati chili i have made has been serving it on spagetti and using cinnamon and cocoa along with the standard chili spices.
There are a few other differences as well. I actually have the "Skyline Cincinnati Chili Recipe" at home. I'll post it up later.

Cincinnati Chili is served in "way"
1 way - just the sauce over spaghetti
2 way - sauce over spaghetti with shredded cheddar cheese on top
3 way - sauce over spaghetti with shredded cheddar & diced onions
4 way - sauce over spaghetti w/shredded cheddar, onions, & beans

It's actually quite tasty and freezes very well. It also makes a tasty topping for hotdogs.

TreeSaw said:
There are a few other differences as well. I actually have the "Skyline Cincinnati Chili Recipe" at home. I'll post it up later.

It's actually quite tasty and freezes very well. It also makes a tasty topping for hotdogs.
Ive always seen it as 1 way being just chili and then starting your list as 2 way. Whichever way it goes I like mine with the works.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
caboverpete said:
Ive always seen it as 1 way being just chili and then starting your list as 2 way. Whichever way it goes I like mine with the works.
1 way being just the sauce...that could be right. I always serve mine with spaghetti so my #s could be a little off.

It's quite tasty though!!!

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
TreeSaw said:

asides from being served on spaghetti, the rest of the ways are the same as any other chilli. or even a baked potatoe for that matter.....

where's the corn bread?

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
N8 said:
Chili = Chili, at least in New Mexico, refers to a nasty Texas soup, prepared with diced or ground beef and chili powder and where it's bland tastelessness is disguised with heat. See Hormel chili & beans... :dead:
I guess that's a Texas / New Mexico thing. In most parts of the US, chili has lots of flavor and it generally varies a little depending on the part of the country you are in. Chili is definitely not a normal soup, at least in consistency, when done correctly. It should be a thick, slow cooked food where you taste the ingredients used, not drown them out with crazy hot peppers. Spicy food should allow you to taste the food first, then the heat. Not just blast the $hit out of you, and take away your ability to breathe. :dead:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
berkshire_rider said:
I guess that's a Texas / New Mexico thing. In most parts of the US, chili has lots of flavor and it generally varies a little depending on the part of the country you are in. Chili is definitely not a normal soup, at least in consistency, when done correctly. It should be a thick, slow cooked food where you taste the ingredients used, not drown them out with crazy hot peppers. Spicy food should allow you to taste the food first, then the heat. Not just blast the $hit out of you, and take away your ability to breathe. :dead:
A good green chile stew blows away any chili, IMO. Personal preference, though, I suppose. Rum raisin ice cream and all that.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
SkaredShtles said:
A good green chile stew blows away any chili, IMO. Personal preference, though, I suppose. Rum raisin ice cream and all that.
Recipie? I would like to establish some concrete proof - IE make some myself. I could search the interent for a "green chile stew" recipie, but if someone has a good one, feel free to pass it along. Maybe my mexican cook book has one. Have to check later.

I like food to have flavor, as well as heat - also a personal preference. However, I don't like raisins. :eviltongu

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
berkshire_rider said:
I like food to have flavor, as well as heat - also a personal preference. However, I don't like raisins. :eviltongu
There's almost nothing better tasting than some nice fire-roasted green chiles...... :drool:

However - I do not have any recipe for you. N8 might have something?

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
berkshire_rider said:
Recipie? I would like to establish some concrete proof - IE make some myself. I could search the interent for a "green chile stew" recipie, but if someone has a good one, feel free to pass it along. Maybe my mexican cook book has one. Have to check later.

Dood... there is a link in my thread that you quoted... but here is another: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Green+Chile+Stew&btnG=Google+Search

While it is hard to beat green chile stew... menudo is very, very good! All you need is some tripe (sheep or beef stomach) and you are on your way! :drool:
Link: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=menudo+stew&spell=1

Hey SS, you eat at Little Anita's this week? Their calabacitas es muy bueno!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
pnj said:
asides from being served on spaghetti, the rest of the ways are the same as any other chilli. or even a baked potatoe for that matter.....

where's the corn bread?
It has a bit different flavor than regular chili. I'll 2nd the cornbread though...I love it!

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
TreeSaw said:
It has a bit different flavor than regular chili. I'll 2nd the cornbread though...I love it!

I put chili in the bottom of a dutch oven and get it super hot in like a 350deg oven, then pour cornmeal batter over the top and then bake it. It is like heaven in a cast iron pan.

:drool::drool::drool::drool:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
N8 said:
Dood... there is a link in my thread that you quoted... but here is another: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Green+Chile+Stew&btnG=Google+Search

While it is hard to beat green chile stew... menudo is very, very good! All you need is some tripe (sheep or beef stomach) and you are on your way! :drool:
Link: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=menudo+stew&spell=1

Hey SS, you eat at Little Anita's this week? Their calabacitas es muy bueno!
Yeah. Today! I *got* to try those calabacitas...........

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Cincinnati Chili

2 lbs. hamburger
2 medium onions (chopped)
4 garlic cloves (minced)
1 32 oz. can tomato sauce
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 TBSP Worchestershire sauce
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin seed (1/8 tsp ground)
1 qt. water
1 1/2 tsp white vinegar
3 TBSP chili powder (a little more is ok)
1 tsp red pepper (a little more is ok)
2 bay leaves
5 whole allspice (about 1 tsp ground)
1 1/2 TBSP unsweetened cocoa (optional--I don't always add it)

Brown hamburger with chopped onions, chopping the burger fine. Drain excess grease.
Add all other ingredients and boil until desired consistency (slightly reduced but not too thick).

Serve over cooked spaghetti.
Top with your choice of chopped onions, shredded cheddar cheese or beans with a side dish of oyster crackers if desired.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
An oldie but a goodie...

Notes From An Inexperienced Chili Tester Named FRANK, who had moved to Texas from the East Coast:

“Recently, I was honored when selected as a judge at a chili cook-off. The original person called in sick at the last moment and I happened to be standing there at the judge's table asking directions to the beer wagon, when the call came. I was assured by the other two judges (Native Texans) that the chili wouldn't be all that spicy, and besides, they told me I could have free beer during the tasting, so I accepted."

Here are the scorecards from the event:

CHILI # 1 MIKE'S MANIAC MOBSTER MONSTER CHILI
JUDGE ONE: A little too heavy on tomato. Amusing kick.
JUDGE TWO: Nice, smooth tomato flavor. Very mild.
FRANK: Holy sh1t, what the hell is this stuff? You could remove dried paint from your driveway. Took me two beers to put the flames out. I hope that's the worst one. These Texans are crazy.

CHILI # 2 ARTHUR'S AFTERBURNER CHILI
JUDGE ONE: Smokey, with a hint of pork. Slight Jalapeno tang.
JUDGE TWO: Exciting BBQ flavor, needs more peppers to be taken seriously.
FRANK: Keep this out of the reach of children I'm not sure what I am supposed to taste besides pain. I had to wave off two people who wanted to give me the Heimlich maneuver. They had to rush in more beer when they saw the look on my face.

CHILI # 3 FRED'S FAMOUS BURN DOWN THE BARN CHILI
JUDGE ONE: Excellent firehouse chili! Great kick. Needs more beans.
JUDGE TWO: A bean-less chili, a bit salty, good use of peppers.
FRANK: Call the EPA, I've located a uranium spill. My nose feels like I have been snorting Drano. Everyone knows the routine by now get me more beer before I ignite. Sally, the barmaid, pounded me on the back; now my backbone is in the front part of my chest. I'm getting sh1t-faced from all the beer.

CHILI # 4 BUBBA'S BLACK MAGIC
JUDGE ONE: Black bean chili with almost no spice. Disappointing.
JUDGE TWO: Hint of lime in the black beans. Good side dish for fish or other mild foods, not much of a chili.
FRANK: I felt something scraping across my tongue, but was unable to taste it, is it possible to burnout taste buds? Sally was standing behind me with fresh refills; that 300 lb. b1tch is starting to look HOT just like this nuclear waste I'm eating. Is chili an aphrodisiac?

CHILI # 5 LINDA'S LEGAL LIP REMOVER
JUDGE ONE: Meaty, strong chili. Cayenne peppers freshly ground, adding considerable kick. Very impressive.
JUDGE TWO: Chili using shredded beef, could use more tomato. Must admit the cayenne peppers make a strong statement.
FRANK: My ears are ringing, sweat is pouring off my forehead and I can no longer focus my eyes. I farted and four people behind me needed paramedics. The contestant seemed offended when I told her that her chili had given me brain damage, Sally saved my tongue from bleeding by pouring beer directly on it from a pitcher. I wonder if I'm burning my lips off? It really pisses me off that the other judges asked me to stop screaming. Screw those rednecks!

CHILI # 6 VERA'S VERY VEGETARIAN VARIETY
JUDGE ONE: Thin yet bold vegetarian variety chili. Good balance of spice and peppers.
JUDGE TWO: The best yet. Aggressive use of peppers, onions, and garlic. Superb.
FRANK: My intestines are now a straight pipe filled with gaseous, sulfuric flames. I sh1t myself when I farted and I'm worried it will eat through the chair. No one seems inclined to stand behind me except that s1ut Sally. She must be kinkier than I thought. Can't feel my lips anymore. I need to wipe my ass with a snow cone!

CHILI # 7 SUSAN'S SCREAMING SENSATION CHILI
JUDGE ONE: A mediocre chili with too much reliance on canned peppers.
JUDGE TWO: Ho Hum, tastes as if the chef literally threw in a can of chili peppers at the last moment. I should take note that I am worried about Judge Number 3, He appears to be in a bit of distress as he is cursing uncontrollably.
FRANK: You could put a grenade in my mouth, pull the pin, and I wouldn't feel a damn thing. I've lost sight in one eye, and the world sounds like it is made of rushing water. My shirt is covered with chili, which slid unnoticed out of my mouth. My pants are full of lava-like sh1t to match my damn shirt. At least during the autopsy they'll know what killed me. I've decided to stop breathing - it's too painful. Screw it, I'm not getting any oxygen anyway. If I need air, I'll just suck it in through the 4-inch hole in my stomach.

CHILI # 8 TOM'S HOTTER THAN A TEXAS SUMMER CHILI
JUDGE ONE: A perfect ending, this is a nice blend chili, safe for all, not too bold but spicy enough to declare it's existence.
JUDGE TWO: This final entry is a good, balanced chili. Neither mild or hot. Sorry to see that most of it was lost when Judge Number 3 passed out, fell over and pulled the chili pot down on top of himself. Not sure if he's going to make it. Poor Yank, wonder how he'd have reacted to a really hot chili?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
It's getting chillly here in NY so I'm ready to make some Chili. :)

Any new suggestions?