Quantcast

Looking for a I9 service write up

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
It's about time I service my I9 wheelset. Are there any write-ups online with some pictures covering what all needs to be done inside the hubs?

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
How tight should I be tightening the rear 12mm through axle with the I9 hub? I always feel that if I apply some torque to the axle, the bearings in the hub get pinched too tight and cause a lot of drag, but if I tighten the axle up to where the bearings feel like they are rolling freely, the axle is barely holding everything together.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
as tight as you can do it with your hand, its very sensitive, which is also why the threads are so close, 1 turn too much and its crap, 1 turn too little and you risk the bearings, i find the easiest way to do it is on the bike, with the chain off (aviods taking the wheel on and off 100x times) As with everything it gets easier with practice

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
How tight should I be tightening the rear 12mm through axle with the I9 hub? I always feel that if I apply some torque to the axle, the bearings in the hub get pinched too tight and cause a lot of drag, but if I tighten the axle up to where the bearings feel like they are rolling freely, the axle is barely holding everything together.
Sounds like you should double check to make sure the rear hub is adjusted properly. The small allen screw in the non drive side cone should be adjusted if you haven't already. This adjusts how much or how little bearing load is allowed on the system, ensuring things can't get too tight nor too loose.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
JV and D9 are right. Tighten the axle itself. Loosen the tiny screw on the dust cap while it's on your bike. Then finger tighten the entire axle then re-tighten the screw. It's pretty easy and it's in that hub service guide. Will eliminate any side to side play you have in your hub.

Also if you have any creaking pop that axle out of your hubshell and grease it. Mine seem to develop some noise when dry.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
as tight as you can do it with your hand, its very sensitive, which is also why the threads are so close, 1 turn too much and its crap, 1 turn too little and you risk the bearings, i find the easiest way to do it is on the bike, with the chain off (aviods taking the wheel on and off 100x times) As with everything it gets easier with practice
Is this with the through axle cinched down at all, or loose and just sitting in the drop outs? I tightened the cone, but maybe too much. I put the 1.5mm allen in and turned it just a little tighter than hand tight. Without the rear axle bolt tightened up, the rear hub rolls smooth and free.

The cone is not my only problem. When tightening the 12mm bolt through the rear axle it squeezes the rear hub together. If I don't tighten the axle very much the rear hub continues to spin freely. If I tighten the axle up, it squeezes the rear axle way too much and the hub wants to spin the cassette around with it if I'm not holding the pedal to prevent that.

The frame is an Intense Socom with the 150mm 12mm rear end if that makes a difference. The bolt just goes through and clamps everything together. Without the bolt being tight, there's nothing to keep the axle tight like on a Fox 40 with the 4 5mm bolts on the bottom of the fork legs to clamp the axle bolt in place.

Last edited:

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
JV and D9 are right. Tighten the axle itself. Loosen the tiny screw on the dust cap while it's on your bike. Then finger tighten the entire axle then re-tighten the screw. It's pretty easy and it's in that hub service guide. Will eliminate any side to side play you have in your hub.

Also if you have any creaking pop that axle out of your hubshell and grease it. Mine seem to develop some noise when dry.
If I actually tighten the rear axle up, there is no way that dust cap/cone is turning.

I may be tightening the rear axle up way too much, but I just use an 8mm T-handle allen wrench on the drive side of the through axle and rely on the friction of the nut on the other side to tighten it up. I'm not cranking down on it with a wrench on the nut and a breaker bar on the 8mm allen wrench.

Last edited:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Son, I am disappoint.
Tighten the rear axle up just enough, so you can turn the dust cap. Use the allen wrench to turn it. That should make it tight enough to eliminate any play. Then tighten the axle and and tighten back up the set screw on the dust cap and go ride.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Is this with the through axle cinched down at all, or loose and just sitting in the drop outs? I tightened the cone, but maybe too much. I put the 1.5mm allen in and turned it just a little tighter than hand tight. Without the rear axle bolt tightened up, the rear hub rolls smooth and free.

The cone is not my only problem. When tightening the 12mm bolt through the rear axle it squeezes the rear hub together. If I don't tighten the axle very much the rear hub continues to spin freely. If I tighten the axle up, it squeezes the rear axle way too much and the hub wants to spin the cassette around with it if I'm not holding the pedal to prevent that.

The frame is an Intense Socom with the 150mm 12mm rear end if that makes a difference. The bolt just goes through and clamps everything together. Without the bolt being tight, there's nothing to keep the axle tight like on a Fox 40 with the 4 5mm bolts on the bottom of the fork legs to clamp the axle bolt in place.
The way i personally do it, is tighten the axle to the point where i can still turn the little cone. tighten it as much as you can do hand tight, back it off 1/2 after that, than tighten the axle a bit more. Remember, you dont have to crank down like holy hell on the axle either...

Play around with it, its not difficult, but there definitely is a science to it.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Son, I am disappoint.
Tighten the rear axle up just enough, so you can turn the dust cap. Use the allen wrench to turn it. That should make it tight enough to eliminate any play. Then tighten the axle and and tighten back up the set screw on the dust cap and go ride.
You know it's a simple setup when even I knew that. ;)
Granted, that whole front wheel thing we'll just avoid discussing. :D