Quantcast

Looking for a job...

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Whew! I just started looking for a faculty position somewhere for fall '06. I just sent out four packages including CV, research and teaching statement, and cover letter. That's on top of the two I sent out last week. It sure is stressful looking for a job. I can't tell you how many times I read and reread everything looking for typos. I'm really paranoid that I will find them after its too late. That's what stresses me out most.

I wonder how many more I will have to send out before I find a job? Ahhhhh!!!!!

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
What kind of teaching position are you looking for? Just curious... my wife started teaching a few months ago.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
Ya man. The only thing that's worse than having a job is looking for a job.

I was just looking for the last two weeks - I had a standing offer on the table, but heard bad things about the company. I just had an interview this AM at a diff company and got an offer on the spot. $5 more an hour than my previous job. :thumb: Lots of opportunity to travel to both Alaska and Iran :eek:. Should be cool.

Good luck with your search!

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Just to give you all an idea, my degree is in Materials Science and Engineering. I just sent packages to Cornell, Johns Hopkins, Vanderbilt, UNC-CH, U. of Pittsburg, and Virginia Tech. I'd be teaching undergrads and grads and starting my own research program.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
jdschall said:
Just to give you all an idea, my degree is in Materials Science and Engineering. I just sent packages to Cornell, Johns Hopkins, Vanderbilt, UNC-CH, U. of Pittsburg, and Virginia Tech. I'd be teaching undergrads and grads and starting my own research program.
None of those places appear to be out west........... :think:

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
jdschall said:
Ugh, I will have to be doing that in a few years :dead: My bother-in-law is also looking for post-doc work, it is not a fun process!

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
kinghami3 said:
Ugh, I will have to be doing that in a few years :dead: My bother-in-law is also looking for post-doc work, it is not a fun process!

I basically fell into a postdoc. A former postdoc of my graduate advisor needed a postdoc. All I had to do was show up for the interview. Now the serious stuff starts...

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
jdschall said:
Not UCSB?

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
If the education level of the SB kids posting in the DH forum is indicative in any way, shape, or form of the quality of education at UCSB, then I'm gonna have to say no. Plus California is so freaking expensive.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
if you come to the Burgh you can ride with us! good luck on your search. I hope your first choice responds favorably! Teaching at that level should be fun.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
brungeman said:
if you come to the Burgh you can ride with us! good luck on your search. I hope your first choice responds favorably! Teaching at that level should be fun.
dont listen to him, he is just a tall guy with a gotee and alot of tatoos:p

no seriously...

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Its hard to see her by the avatar, but she just got up from a nap and was all wacky! and no I am not like Gene... :)

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
brungeman said:
Its hard to see her by the avatar, but she just got up from a nap and was all wacky! and no I am not like Gene... :)
Hey did you see the Redline Monocog or whatever, 29er rigid singlespeed, i might pick one up for the price we can get them @ (really frickin cheap)...that way i can ride with you big wheeled people.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
jdschall said:
If you go to Cornell, you can ride with Rob and me when we visit (Ithaca's our old college stomping ground) It's a good place to ride but there are lots of hills!

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Ithica is GORGEous... sorry had to!!!:rolleyes:

My X-bro-inlaw taught ceramics at Cornell, and he and my sister lived out in the sticks.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Hey, if you get on at Vanderbilt, we can go sniff glue together or something. Thats like 10 blocks away from my house.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
brungeman said:
oh BTW manhattan... yep the mono-29'er is pretty sweet for the cabbage.

Oddly enough, I've been thinking the same thing. Not so much the 29er but the monocog. Nice bike for the money.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
The other unfun thing about looking for a job is getting people to write recommendations for you. I really hate asking people to do stuff for me. I'm more comfortable as the guy who does stuff for other people.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
You have a BS, MS and a PhD?

So, basically, you know more and more about less and less, until you know everything there is to know about nothing at all...?

:confused:

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
N8 said:
You have a BS, MS and a PhD?

So, basically, you know more and more about less and less, until you know everything there is to know about nothing at all...?

:confused:
Only if I go back for an MBA...

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
jdschall said:
Only if I go back for an MBA...

Hey, an engineer with an MBA is MONEY!

An engineer with an MS and PhD is probably going to be unemployed for a while because you are over qualified.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
N8 said:

An engineer with an MS and PhD is probably going to be unemployed for a while because you are over qualified.
I think this is the 4th time I've agreed with you N8. The only thing an engineer can do with a PhD is teach.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
N8 said:

Yeah, The problem is that I just can't stand anymore school. 13 years is enough. I currently have a decent paying postdoc and a boss who is in no hurry to get rid of me so I can take my time looking. I'm starting to look for fall '06. Hopefully I'll find a position this year. If not, there is always '07...

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
N8 said:
How about New Mexico Institute Of Mining And Technology?

That is a top notch school and they do a lot of really cool research too.

http://externalweb.nmt.edu/hr/

I'll check it out and see if they have any job postings. I almost had a job at Los Alamos. Out of 50 applicants I was 1 of 2 selected for an interview. I didn't get the job but I got a free trip the NM!

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Mike B. said:
I'll join you for some rides if you end up in Ithaca.

How about Penn State - great riding, nice town, and they get more research money than anyone?

It's definitely on the list. I have their site bookmarked. I keep checking back on their site for job postings.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
jdschall said:
It's definitely on the list. I have their site bookmarked. I keep checking back on their site for job postings.
Don't know if this appeals to you but have you seen this: http://www.arl.psu.edu/

I have a few friends that work there and to say they've got it easy is an understatement. They are EE and CompEng types though.

The Engineering Science and Mechanics department has this nice new building

and the bike path from the north and west parts of town lead right to it.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
jdschall said:
I'll check it out and see if they have any job postings. I almost had a job at Los Alamos. Out of 50 applicants I was 1 of 2 selected for an interview. I didn't get the job but I got a free trip the NM!

Great MTBing in and around Los Alamos.

Also, Sandia Labs (DoE) at Kirkland AFB in Albuquerque maybe something that interests you as perhaps would the Army's White Sands Missile Range down in southern NM.

http://www.sandia.gov/

http://www.wsmr.army.mil/

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Thanks n8. Here's one at Sandia I'm actually qualified for:

"The Microsystem Materials Department at Sandia National Laboratories in Albuquerque, NM, is seeking a postdoctoral researcher to work in the area of thin film tribology and electrical contacts. Our current research is directed towards synthesizing robust tribological coatings, and understanding the mechanisms of friction, wear and electrical contact resistance in micro- and meseo-scale regimes. Our department is equipped with state-of-the-art experimental facilities to conduct nano and microtribological studies, contact resistance measurements, and surface characterization."