Quantcast

looking for a long-travel AM/FR frame to replace uzzi vpx

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
doesn't get ridden much, but I have a size Lg uzzi vpx...

thanks to the slackerizing rear dropouts, and the Avy shock internals (Push MX shock -- dramatic improvement), the bike rides pretty well but one thing I can't change is the effective top tube / reach....it's too short for my 6' 3".

So thinking of selling the frame, and using most/all of the build kit (including the totem DH) on a new frame:

musts:

- around 170 - 180 mm rear travel
- front der compatible
- ETT of at least 23.7 inches
- 73 mm BB / 135X10 (or 142 X12) rear...if possible would like to avoid getting yet another wheelset
- moderately low and slack

& would be nice to have a full 1.5 headtube, but if it's tapered I can always buy a new upper fork assembly I guess.

I already have a Nomad/Lyrik and DHR/F40, so looking for something in between.

Already rejected: SC (have a nomad already), newer Uzzi (short ETT), Yeti SB66/Tran Covert/Devinci Dixon/Trek Slash/Orange Alpine: (travel too short, or not well matched to Totem A to C), TR250 (nice sled but 150 BB w/ no front der)...

...which means the SX Trail is the only option I can think of. 24.3 " ETT sounds good. OThers I'm missing here?

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
The SXT is sweet, a friend just built one up with a Fox 180. Trek Scratch maybe? Not sure if just the frame is available. Also, Reign X.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...

Swine

Monkey
Jan 8, 2003
Alpharetta, Ga
I am in your exact situation, have a VPX and looking to jump into something else. I have my eye on a Pivot Firebird and a Gian Reign. Both look great, and go-ride has both on closeout right now.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
SX trail.

But you knew I'd say that.
FIFY.

Wouldn't mind an SXT at all. Problem is that Specialized does not cater to mtn bikers who live in the mountains, i.e. their model year switches in July so by the time I'm in ride mode (May/June) most of their sought-after framesets are already sold. And Specialized has no listings of which dealers ordered a frame-only, and they have a policy of not letting dealers ship new stuff by mail, so basically Special Ed is doing everything they can to make sure I'll never give them money. Still going to try calling some more norcal Spec dealers.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
I am in your exact situation, have a VPX and looking to jump into something else. I have my eye on a Pivot Firebird and a Gian Reign. Both look great, and go-ride has both on closeout right now.
Firebird felt too xc/am to me in my brief ride on it a while back, kinda like the mojo HD, but yeah I've seen that price at go-ride & i could go angleset. Didn't see a Reign X, just a Reign at go-ride.

I have some contacts at Giant so a Reign X 2012 frame is an option I was looking into....but Giant is using that 1.25 upper steerer, which is not yet available from SRAM in aftermarket. Suppose there might be some sort of 1.25/1.125 upper race converter.

Norco has come a long way, and that HL frame looks decent. Some dealers in WA I may call.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
FIFY.

Wouldn't mind an SXT at all. Problem is that Specialized does not cater to mtn bikers who live in the mountains, i.e. their model year switches in July so by the time I'm in ride mode (May/June) most of their sought-after framesets are already sold. And Specialized has no listings of which dealers ordered a frame-only, and they have a policy of not letting dealers ship new stuff by mail, so basically Special Ed is doing everything they can to make sure I'll never give them money. Still going to try calling some more norcal Spec dealers.
Busy skiing in January this year were you?

I ordered mine in February (2011 model on sale).

Seriously though, unless you KNOW the next model year will have something you just have to have, there's no sin in buying a frame that's more than 5 minutes old. Do you know for a fact that spec is out of the things?

You're just looking for a frame? What size?

Last edited:

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
Firebird felt too xc/am to me in my brief ride on it a while back, kinda like the mojo HD, but yeah I've seen that price at go-ride & i could go angleset. Didn't see a Reign X, just a Reign at go-ride.

I have some contacts at Giant so a Reign X 2012 frame is an option I was looking into....but Giant is using that 1.25 upper steerer, which is not yet available from SRAM in aftermarket. Suppose there might be some sort of 1.25/1.125 upper race converter.

Norco has come a long way, and that HL frame looks decent. Some dealers in WA I may call.
Yeah, you'd just need to buy a new upper headset, the diameter of the upper steer tube is the same as 1.5 > 1 1/8", just a larger upper headset bearing to fit the 1 1/4" steerer.

My friend bought his SXT from Mojo Sports in Denver, if they have one I'd ship it to you for a spare tire. ;)

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
yep, busy skiing in Jan. in Canada. and yep, I called specialized.

if anyone happens upon a size L SXT frameset, pls PM me...I have many spare tires to send you as a finder's fee.

meanwhile I'll look into getting a reign X frame.

tracked down a Norco Truax frame but just can't picture spending MSRP on a Norco. i.e. can't imagine it will hold resale very well.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
I think it would come down to 4 bikes if it were me.

SXT - Kind of heavy, doesn't pedal all that well, descends great
Delirium - Heavy, still pedals pretty well, descends great
Truax - Light, pedals well, you may be right about resale but you can't really compare it to the old Norcos
One - I would be curious to see if it lives up to the hype but I would have trouble shelling out that kind of coin for a bike made by Pacific.

I don't know what I would buy either. It would probably be between the Delirium and the Truax.

0110-M-P

Monkey
Jun 1, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Truax - Light, pedals well, you may be right about resale but you can't really compare it to the old Norcos
The Truax looks pretty awesome.

One - I would be curious to see if it lives up to the hype but I would have trouble shelling out that kind of coin for a bike made by Pacific.
I haven't ridden it yet (finishing the build tonight), but the build quality on my 2010 Jedi is top-notch and I have heard nothing different from anyone else.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
FYI, I'm 6'2" and the large Reign X feels really short in the top tube. Demo one if you can to be sure...
I'm 5'10 and the medium 2010 Reign X fits me pretty well though I run a 75mm stem (slightly longer than I'd normally run). Its one of my favorite AM frames I've owned.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
The original Canfield One was one of the best bikes I have ever ridden. I got a chance to ride a friend's when he first got it and, for whatever reason, I felt like superman on that bike. I climbed and descended some stuff that I had never cleaned before.

Same guy eventually upgraded to the new One. I only parking lot tested it, but it seems nice. Lot heavier, slacker. Felt much more aggressive than the old One.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
yep, busy skiing in Jan. in Canada. and yep, I called specialized.

if anyone happens upon a size L SXT frameset, pls PM me...I have many spare tires to send you as a finder's fee.

meanwhile I'll look into getting a reign X frame.

tracked down a Norco Truax frame but just can't picture spending MSRP on a Norco. i.e. can't imagine it will hold resale very well.
Norco's making some pretty good stuff these days.

As far as an SXT vs. Reign X, those were two I was looking at a while back to replace a demo 7. Kinda depends on which 'side' you want to lean more to....something you'll be riding like a tough trail bike or more of a mini dh bike. The SXTs are long and low and definitely prioritize descending. Reigns really do feel like trail bikes. I'd say that should be more of a deciding point than what you can get. You'll be able to find either.

Check your pms

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
is the reign sx the same geo as a reign x? I was eyeballing those before my sxt. The sxt does climb fine for basic singletrack and gravel road climbs. Just got done with a big oregon roadtrip, pedaling for every descent on my sx trail. Kinda missed my stumpy climbing, but the fun descents made it worth it.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
the reign x is a long travel trail bike that you can rally pretty darn hard. its much more like a nomad (that goes up and down a little better).
the sx trail is more like a pedal capable DH bike.

if you are looking to replace the UZZI, and you already have a nice 6" travel bike, the sx trail is more in line with that IMO.

i would also suggest at least looking at the new transition blindside.

dbozman

Monkey
May 11, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
Based on your criteria and the bikes you already own, the SX Trail is really a no-brainer. Perfect frame for your stated requirements. I'm 6'2" and my large is plenty big enough with a 50mm stem. I'm running coil/coil 180mm and two chainrings; bike weighs about 36 pounds and pedals quite well for what it is. You can shuttle it, pedal it, whatever. I'm incredibly pleased with mine.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I've had an Reign X for a few years now, and have spent some time on the SX Trails. The SX Trail is the better DH machine, it feels like you're on a short travel DH bike. The Reign X still does really well with descents, but the rear suspension doesn't gobble up the trail the same way (it does pedal better however).

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
decided to get the Norco. once i realized it came with water bottle cage mounts, it was a no brainer. :rofl:

size L frame weight w/ RC4 / 450 lb steel spring / syntace rear axle (but no water bottle cage) is 4.47 kg.

lots of interesting design details. that bolt in the side of the downtube is a spare...the derailleur hanger itself doesn't break, but the mount bolt for it is designed to shear off (hence the spare). The hanger mount bolt also functions as a pinch bolt to hold the threaded nut of the syntace thru axle.

all pivot hardware, including the shock mounts, uses a threaded steel 'hat' as the receiving end of the pivot bolt. so the aluminum frame has no threads. Frame came with a decent cane creek 40 headset, and a 230 g faux Thomson post.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
finished the build...curiousity to ride a new bike always wins over doing my real job.

35 lbs something or other with sub-1000 g tires.

Short ride today. Feels good so far.