Quantcast

Looking for advice

DiRt DeViL

Monkey
Feb 6, 2005
CNY
Here's my dilemma, recently sold my "big" bike (Cdale Gemini) and on it's way is a new to me Reign X1; did the change because our DH trails are slowly dissapearing and what's left IMO doesn't require a dedicated DH rig.

Did what I thought was right for me but I'm not sure about what I should do with my son's bike. He currently has a XC hardtail, a road bike and his big bike is a SC Bullit. At this time he's 5'5" and the Bullit is a small so in the not so distant future will have to at least get him a bigger frame. He races XC and DH when the races don't conflict with his roadie events but after the last DH race he told me that he was done racing DH but he wanted to keep the rig and ride it for fun.

Completely understand from where he's coming from and told him that was alright with me and explained to him the bike changes that I was doing and the reason why. He understood and told me that his Bullit was uncomfortable for him to ride as a AM bike because it was too tight for pedaling, I asked him to give me a break and later on we could sell the Bullit as a whole bike to another kid looking to get into DH and that we could get him something like I got.

The question is, should I sell the Bullit and get him something like a Trance or Reign X or just get him a light AM frame and transfer most of the parts? It will be used as a AM/Mini DH bike.

aj-monkey

Monkey
Oct 11, 2007
Squampton, BC
If he still wants to DH and is actually doing it regularly enough to justify keeping the bike for that purpose then keep it. But if he likes the idea of a mini dh-esque am machine and you think he will use that more then I'd for sure go for that transferring parts from his Bullet, which he knows are strong enough onto a new am frame (or used). Something like a Nomad would suit the built totally. People set those up as mini dhers a lot and with a coil rear they are solid and plush.