Quantcast

Looking for an Epic Ride in Pisgah

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Tomorrow is my first day off from work in 9 days so I'm going to treat myself to an epic ride in Pisgah. I'm familiar with the more gravity oriented trails in the forest but not the longer XC/AM trails. I'm looking to do a 5+ hour ride and I'll be on my 29er so climbing won't be a problem. I also have the National Geo Map of the forest so shouldn't need any directions, just trail names should suffice. Thanks!

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Tomorrow is my first day off from work in 9 days so I'm going to treat myself to an epic ride in Pisgah. I'm familiar with the more gravity oriented trails in the forest but not the longer XC/AM trails. I'm looking to do a 5+ hour ride and I'll be on my 29er so climbing won't be a problem. I also have the National Geo Map of the forest so shouldn't need any directions, just trail names should suffice. Thanks!
Park at turkeypen trailhead...

Vineyard Gap>Riverside>Bradley Creek>1206>South Mills River Trail>Buckhorn Gap>Black Mtn>Turkeypen gap trail

Epic...to say the least. Turkeypen gap is sick.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Matt you should try to come ride with us at Paris on Sunday. We will do about 18 miles 50% climbing and 50% DH. I know its not Pisgah, but you will save a lot on Gas cost. Heck if you want to we could get a few guys togther to car pool up to 26 West and help support them.

Let me know,
Cecil

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Ranger Station to Horse Stables To Avery Creek to Clawhammer to LEFT on Black Mtn to Bennett to Clawhammer to RIGHT on Black Mtn to Thrift Cove to Sycamore Cove

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Actually if you want a big epic on a 29er, go to Black Mountain, climb the Toll Road up Heartbreak Ridge, down Star Gap, up old Hwy 70 then down Kitsuma!!! The better way to do the best parts of the ORAMM...without paying a dime. :D

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
5018>Horse cove gap>squirrel gap>riverside>bradley creek>1206>476

or

laurel>Pilot Rock>1206>pilot cove/slate rock>1206

or

vineyard gap>Riverside>Bradley Creek>Laurel Creek>Squirrel Gap>Cantrell Creek>S mills

or

1206>pilot cove/slate rock>1206>Laurel mtn>Sassafrass gap>big creek>fireroad back to yellow gap

Some of those get a little tricky but my first suggestion should be pretty easy other than the vineyard gap/riverside intersection....really hairy as vineyard gap just kinda drops you out in the woods and you have to bushwhack a bit and cross a river. The trail starts in some tall grass across the river and goes left. Thats the only real tricky part.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
thanks man, I'm looking forward to it. Do you think all I'll need to keep from getting lost is the Map?
Should be fine...I did it solo for the first time a couple weeks ago and didn't have too much trouble. Turkeypen gap is a LONG ridgeline so be ready for a lot of elevation variation and some sick ridgeline singletrack!

Watch out for bears on turkeypen its a bear sanctuary.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'm gonna make a game time decision tomorrow when I leave for pisgah. I don't think you can really go wrong with anything in the forest. I might try to stay away from Farlow gap though, it was decently rugged on my DH bike, and my 29er only has 80mm of travel.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Yea I made it out, not without a few scraps and scratches. I started the morning off with the Turkeypen>Yineyard ride that Mueller suggested and soon realized that Vineyard gap isn't the most ideal trail for a hardtail 29er. I ate Sh*t about halfway down the really steep part of the trail and face planted after falling about 20 feet.

In the afternoon I ventured over toward bennet and black mountain. The best ride of the day would definitely have to be the 3.5+ mile climb up clawhammer and the decent down Black Mtn.