Quantcast

Looking for cheap wheelset. Mavic Crossride?

Vulcan

Chimp
Oct 24, 2004
I'm going to be putting some money into my hardtail this spring I'm planning to get back into riding alot more. It will basicly be a total overhaul, new fork, new wheelset, brakes and possibly a new drivetrain if budget allows. Now, I know pretty much what I want for everything except the wheelset. I'm totaly lost.

Requirements:
- <$200
- Relatively Light
- Strong enough to take agressive XC riding (less than 1' drops, lots of logs rock and the ocasional small jumps.)

Now, the Mavic Crossride has really caught my eye. For the price it seems to a very nice wheelset.
http://www.bikeworld.com/products/2516/66/2006-Mavic-CrossRide-Mountain-Wheelset-Shimano.html?ref=froogle

Any comments on this choice?

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Nice, tough, toobless. I seem to remember them being a wee bit on the heavy side, but you know what they say...pick two.

Vulcan

Chimp
Oct 24, 2004
chicodude said:
Nice, tough, toobless. I seem to remember them being a wee bit on the heavy side, but you know what they say...pick two.
I think you are thinking of the crossland. The crossrides seem to be very similar, but are slightly lighter and aren't tubeless comaptible. I was planing on running stans on them with regular tires instead instead, so that doesn't matter.

Crossland: Front 971 g, rear 1103 g
Crossride: Front 910 g, rear 1060 g

Vulcan

Chimp
Oct 24, 2004
loco said:
Get the WTBs.
Thanks, any particular reason?

EDIT: Unfortunatly, the WTBs may just be out of my budget. Including shipping they are more like 240.00.

J

JRB

Yes - you can replace spokes and rims with greater ease. WTB rims are pretty nice, even though they are light. With the right tension, I rode for many miles on light XC rims in really rocky stuff. I weigh 200, so I am not easy on wheels.

edit - I counted spokes on WTBs site and they are 32 hole. That means that you can replace with any 32 hole rim if needed. I would have them tensioned by someone that knows wheels though.

Vulcan

Chimp
Oct 24, 2004
loco said:
Yes - you can replace spokes and rims with greater ease. WTB rims are pretty nice, even though they are light. With the right tension, I rode for many miles on light XC rims in really rocky stuff. I weigh 200, so I am not easy on wheels.

edit - I counted spokes on WTBs site and they are 32 hole. That means that you can replace with any 32 hole rim if needed. I would have them tensioned by someone that knows wheels though.
Good point, the hubs will well outlive the rims and it would be more economical to rebuild with a new rim and spokes when needed. Despite being heavier and what you just pointed out, I'm still really tempted by the mavics, I'm not exactly sure why. :rolleyes:

J

JRB

Vulcan said:
Good point, the hubs will well outlive the rims and it would be more economical to rebuild with a new rim and spokes when needed. Despite being heavier and what you just pointed out, I'm still really tempted by the mavics, I'm not exactly sure why. :rolleyes:
Because they are fairly nice, and they are well marketed. A lot of folks would take the Mavics. I would not.

R

richcreek

yeah a friend of mine has the WTBs and he loves them. they are a great wheel set

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
blah...my wtb rear hub crapped out (under 1 year of riding), had it fixed twice..still not 100% but working. Several bike shop mechanics told me hey have seen A LOT of wtb hubs with problems

oh yeah..I have the wtb laser lite wheelset

Vulcan

Chimp
Oct 24, 2004
douglas said:
blah...my wtb rear hub crapped out (under 1 year of riding), had it fixed twice..still not 100% but working. Several bike shop mechanics told me hey have seen A LOT of wtb hubs with problems

oh yeah..I have the wtb laser lite wheelset
I've heard of issues with the durability of the American Classic hubs. Still, thats an amazing deal and I am very easy on my stuff. I've had the same very lowend Deore/Alex wheelset for three or four years now without any service.

What exactly went wrong with your hub?

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
basically, the hub would spin freely in both directions with no effect on moving the wheel.

after it was fix#1, it had resistance spinning backwards..made coasting impossible

after fix#2 its workng, but I dont really trust it will stay working