Quantcast

Looking for comments on two bikes

xcwx

Chimp
Sep 16, 2008
Ok, first off hello to everyone. This is my first post here. I am not new to biking but had to take a break for a while, partly due to some injuries. Last bike was a Specialized FSR that I rode into the ground and eventually it did the same to me. Looking for the closest thing to a do it all bike, DJ/FR/DH, trail and street. A do it all. It does not have to be the best at everything. I have narrowed my search down to the 09' Giant STP-0 and 09' Kona Cowan. Both look like they have good geometry and fairly decent components, with the STP maybe having the better components out of the box. Would like to get peoples comments on these bikes especially from owners or those with some personal riding experience. For my budget right now these seem to be my best choices keeping in mind that I will upgrade items over time making it a better bike. Also, I can jump, but I am not a trick wizard so I would rather have something a little more roomy than something I can do triple tail whips with, at 5'10 I was thinking the larger frame for both these bikes.....thoughts on that too?

Oh, and yes I know there are other options and I could build up a bike myself, I intend to on the next one as this is not going to be my only ride, but for now I want something turn key ready to ride.

Thanks...

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Either of those bikes will probably treat you fine, if I had to choose between the two I would probably go for the Giant, and no I have no good reason why.

But honestly I wouldn't consider either bike for myself just because I am hooked on steel. I have had aluminum dj bikes in the past and I am glad to be on steel now.

xcwx

Chimp
Sep 16, 2008
Well the STP does seem to have better parts and though I can only find a couple reviews it gets high marks. I can not tell from any pictures I have found but do you know if the STP has replaceable dropouts? It would be another plus.
I also like that the STP is 9spd, I won't go to an SS set up as I like the gears, I have even started looking at the new Hammerschmit crank/chainring setup from Truvativ, looks really cool, but looking at it it looks like it will heavy.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
i would go with the short STP frame, i am 5'10" and loved the short TT, try and ride some bikes with different TT lengths though cause some people like longer TT's.

though i guess if you are going to pedal it than maybe look elsewhere...the 14" seat tube is not long enought to get much leg extension...common on almost all jump bikes however..

xcwx

Chimp
Sep 16, 2008
I'm curious about the Kona Cowan, or rather about the opinions of Kona in general. It seems there is a huge lack of respect for Kona bikes across the board. Is this because the bikes generally suck now or is it just the frames or components that suck. It was going to be the alternative to the STP for me, though realizing I would be upgrading the bike alot sooner than the STP if thats what I ended up with. I know the Kona parts are not that great and that seems to be the biggest complaint I see but are thier frames trash too?

xcwx

Chimp
Sep 16, 2008
Thanks guys' for all the feedback. I'm thinking the large frame STP for a more all-round frame and I hope it fits. Will still look and try out the Cowan as well for comparison and because the geo on that frame got changed a good bit for 09', so I'm interested. I know others really like the P.# bikes but I'm not sure I like the looks of it, but I may try one of those just to see what people do like about them. The P. series seems way over priced for spec though.

Appreciate the help

thanks.

Last edited:

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
Kona gets a lot of hate because they are a bigger company, and people love to hate on big brands (ie Specialized). Kona makes good bikes.
Wait a sec your reason for why people are choosing GIANT over KONA is because Kona is a big company? Giant is a HUGE company at least bigger then Kona.

xcwx

Chimp
Sep 16, 2008
I was going to argue that myself, but I came here for feedback on a couple bikes not really an argument. I think its fair to say both companies have sold enough bikes to be big so they must both be doing something right. I do think the STP is better spec'd for the price than the Kona and maybe thats alot of peoples justification for bashing Kona. Kona has no shortage of pro riders rockin' their rigs every day but they are not selling the pro's bikes either. The specialized P series looks way over priced for the spec so no contest for me there. What ever frame fits the best will be the winner for me but parts will play a big factor in the decision too.

I'll let everyone know how it turns out and have more to speak of then.

Thanks again,

joelalamo45

Monkey
Jun 25, 2007
Idaho Springs, Colorado
Wait a sec your reason for why people are choosing GIANT over KONA is because Kona is a big company? Giant is a HUGE company at least bigger then Kona.
I didn't say people choose GIANT over KONA because Kona is bigger than Giant... read my post. I said there's a lot of hate for Kona because they are a bigger company than most boutique (ie, hand-made) brands. Don't twist my words up. Lot's of people hate on Giant, too.

Last edited:

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
Okay, I wasn't try to twist your words that was just how I interpreted it sorry about that.

In my experience riding both these bikes (older models) I felt like the STP was more of a street/park bike easier to flick around and more compact. Where as the Cowan had more of a hardtail freeride bike kind of feel.