Quantcast

Looking for DH clip-in pedals with the firmest engagement possible.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I have a set of the old red 646's that I should replace soon. They're pretty hammered. I will try to get pictures and explain just how destroyed they are. Despite them basically being the 3-legged dog of DH pedals at this point, they still hold the cleat firmer than anything else I've tried clipping into which I love about them.

I've used the Time pedals in the past with good success. The newer Shimanos look nice, but the couple that were supposedly at full tension still released super easy. The steel cleat is a big seller for me too as I do end up hiking my bike here and there.

I've never used Crank Brothers stuff without it literally falling apart in the first few rides, and I'm not about to try that out again. My 10 (or possibly more) year old pedals that have been on probably close to 15 different bikes by this point are still more functional than those were after 6 rides.

I hear Time has some new pedal out? Any input on those?

Other input/questions/comments/insults/threats?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The retention system on the new times is the same so the only difference is a plastic cage.....so they should be lighter than the Zs. I haven't bought any for the sole reason that I suspect I'll just break them.

I've been riding the same ATAC Zs for the last 6-7 years and haven't seen anything that makes me want to change that. Especially not from crank brothers. Almost identical feel to the times and same functionality but yeah.....you know.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Yeah plastic cages don't sound so hot. I might have another set of those Time's kicking around somewhere. $30 for cleats that wear out if you look at them wrong or say something foul about them is a bit of a stinger, but whatever. Really don't care much about the weight, as you may have guessed from my previous choice in pedals.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I should mention that I will immediately lay out money for a set of 646's in good working order if anyone happens to have any kicking around.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
It's the hiking that wears them out. In a month or two.

Much appreciate the gesture though! I will see if I can find them and let you know. Will get you some beer money (or just provide the beer next time I'm in Tahoe).

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Stop doing that.

Let me know if you want some. I've got a ton. I kept buying them to fix weird shlt like worn out shoes because I'm an idiot.
The best runs you have to hike to. Only a few fall outside of that rule, at least in this half of the state.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I should mention that I will immediately lay out money for a set of 646's in good working order if anyone happens to have any kicking around.
I have a pair of the gray ones that I picked up about a year ago NOS. They've been ridden some, so there are some scuffs and whatnot but mechanically they're perfect. Would consider selling, make me an offer.

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I went from the old Shimano DH pedals to the new plastic ones and haven't had a problem, despite many scars from rock hits. I also like the tension pretty high so they're the only brand I can use.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Thank god. I think those pedals are the single most clapped out bike part I've ever seen on anyone's bike.
Is it wrong that I really want to see a photo of these? I had a set about 15 years ago, and as far as I know they stopped selling them about 10 years ago - amazed there's still sets out there working!

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
You know that springs and cleats wear right?

My 647s feel like they are loose right now, even with the tension cranked to the max. My M530s feel tighter with the tension halfway. Same shoes/cleats.

3.5 years on the 647s, i can't imagine the state of your 646s

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
fwiw, I love my Time Atacs over any set of spds I've ridden, although they're all XC pedals not DH. Atacs are as easy to get in, but you know when you're in or out. I love those pedals, but I have 18 pairs of spds, so I can run them on my road, XC, and DH bikes...

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Is it wrong that I really want to see a photo of these? I had a set about 15 years ago, and as far as I know they stopped selling them about 10 years ago - amazed there's still sets out there working!
"Working" is a term used pretty loosely here. I'll snap some pictures later.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I saw a pair of the old red ones in my parts box. Was considering using them again bc I agree they were some of the best pedals ever made. If the price is right though... ;)

PM me. I'll look them over tonight since I have to do some bike work in prep for Cannell Plunge this weekend anyway.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I was thinking about heading up there to ride Cannell on the moto actually! Cannell/Rincon/Cedar Creek is a bitchin' loop Had a great time up in Keyesville last weekend teaching the gf to ride her new scooter.

Really no idea what to offer for these things since I can't even find prices online to compare. What's fair?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey

but to actually help you, why not find a really "generic" pedal that would have parts you can "upgrade" Buy a stiffer spring from a hardware store or the likes. Its a long term solution you may want to look into. You will have to get new pedals at some point

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I was thinking about heading up there to ride Cannell on the moto actually! Cannell/Rincon/Cedar Creek is a bitchin' loop Had a great time up in Keyesville last weekend teaching the gf to ride her new scooter.

Really no idea what to offer for these things since I can't even find prices online to compare. What's fair?
Lemme see what kind of shape they are in first.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
So the left one has no return spring. The pedal flip flops around inside the cage.

Both cages move about 1/16" side to side on the spindles around the pedals.

All 4 corners of the cages on both pedals are bent inwards somehow.

They also have radial play on the bearings. But they sure spin nice.

Attachments

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
^^

Send them into Crank Bros. They might send you a new set of Mallets out of habit (altho you're still probably better off with those red beaters).

As for your original question, I have Time ATAC Z's and as previous posters have mentioned, they have excellent clip-in/clip-out performance and are quite durable. Don't have any experience with the new X-ROC model, but it looks about the same as the ATACs, but lighter.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
So the left one has no return spring. The pedal flip flops around inside the cage.

I will retract the statement I made last night via email that I am the world champion pedal smasher. You win.

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
+1 For the ATAC Z's, replace the cleats every half season and you will be happy. The click in/out is firm and consistent and they work well enough in the mud unless your shoe is totally packed full of clay. Bearings are good quality and have held up well on my 2 sets.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Just a general question since I'm considering jumping off the CB pedal ship for good...Why don't CB/Time make their cleats out of a material harder than brass? Between my XC and DH bike I feel like I go through cleats every other month.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
The reasons I've heard of from both companies...is that they want the cleats to wear out before the clips. However, I have never seen a Shimano pedals clips "wear out" from using steel cleats. I call horse ****.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Dude, yer wicked smart and handy... Why not just get the new Shimano's and make stiffer springs? If you ever see any white one's those are Olympic race stock, twice as stiff. They firmly insist that they don't have any more and I believe them...

First image I found;

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
If I could source new springs, sure. There is no way in hell I'm motivated enough to go make new springs though.

I might have to harass the Shimano tech department about those pedals though...good call.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
hacktastic, I'm going to ride with them at dville this weekend. If I can bare part with them, I'll let you know.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop

Looking at those pictures, I hear Sarah Mclachlan singing that song from the abused animals commercial.
Poor things.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
646s were awesome pedals. I had a pair that kept going for a long time after the cage return springs died.

I replaced them with 647s. I do not find the tension you can put them on to be particularly low, but maybe I don't need much in that area. I did, however, have both cages break. They cracked through near the axle and had to be taken off. It took really hard hits to do this, but I'm usually not too hard on equipment...