Quantcast

Looking for entry level DH events around LA

Grizzle

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
La Crescenta, CA
Basically what the title says. Im 20 years old, ive been riding for a while now, just started downhill. I would like to know where any DH races are around the Los Angeles area or as close to LA as you can think of, that would be open to a beginner/intermediate. Im decent on my bike, i can do technical well, just not super narrow technical, i have slight problems with that. Any input would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Grant.

Fshflys

Monkey
Jun 29, 2005
Grizzle said:
thanks for that, but it looks like the deadline for entry was last week :(
That was for the MTB & MX, special event up in Adelento. What you want is the race listed for Nov 20, basically the last race of 2005, it'll cost you $35 to race it, go to Fontana on Saturday and practice, that'll cost $8 for shuttle service. Then in 2006, mid January, they'll start the Winter Series, 4 or 5 races, one every other week. If you enjoyed the Nov 20th race and want to continue with the winter series, join the Southridge club for $40. That'll save you some $$$. Races will be $25 instead of $35, Shuttle on Sat will be $5 instead of $8. For the Nov 20th race, sign up as a beginner, compare your times after the race to see if you'd want to move up to a higher class, sport or expert. I think you'll be racing in th 19 - 24 age group.
The people at these races are a good group of people, helpful to newbies. The races are well organized, plan on being there till 5:00 pm on race day if you plan on being on the podium.

Grizzle

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
La Crescenta, CA
Fshflys said:
That was for the MTB & MX, special event up in Adelento. What you want is the race listed for Nov 20, basically the last race of 2005, it'll cost you $35 to race it, go to Fontana on Saturday and practice, that'll cost $8 for shuttle service. Then in 2006, mid January, they'll start the Winter Series, 4 or 5 races, one every other week. If you enjoyed the Nov 20th race and want to continue with the winter series, join the Southridge club for $40. That'll save you some $$$. Races will be $25 instead of $35, Shuttle on Sat will be $5 instead of $8. For the Nov 20th race, sign up as a beginner, compare your times after the race to see if you'd want to move up to a higher class, sport or expert. I think you'll be racing in th 19 - 24 age group.
The people at these races are a good group of people, helpful to newbies. The races are well organized, plan on being there till 5:00 pm on race day if you plan on being on the podium.
Wow, thanks for all the information! So i can just go down on the 20th and buy my way in? :blah: I didn't really see one, but is there a schedule of all the races to come, and information like that?

Fshflys

Monkey
Jun 29, 2005
Grizzle said:
Wow, thanks for all the information! So i can just go down on the 20th and buy my way in? :blah: I didn't really see one, but is there a schedule of all the races to come, and information like that?
They'll probably update the page sometime after the Nov 20th race with '06 race dates. You may want to show up on Sat 19th for some practice. Also they're having a Turner demo day tomorrow, that might be good to get familar with the setting, scroll down on the page for that bit of new, you can also get directions on a link on that page.

Grizzle

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
La Crescenta, CA
Thanks again guys, with any luck, ill be attending the november 20th DH race, does anyone know if there are restrictions on the bike? I havent seen any.

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
I'm in the same boat, gonna try the Nov. 20th race at Southridge. Anyone got any links to pictures or especially videos of the course?
Thanks

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
next spring don't miss the Firestone race in Los Olivos in mid April and the Santa Barbara Bike Fest in early June. Both are super fun and relatively easy by most peoples standards.

Fshflys

Monkey
Jun 29, 2005
tgreathead said:
I'm in the same boat, gonna try the Nov. 20th race at Southridge. Anyone got any links to pictures or especially videos of the course?
Thanks
Try these sites;

http://www.jodygomez.com/
dirtfocus.com
mtbphoto.com used to have some, but thee older races have fallen off the page. Check back after Nov 20 for mtbphoto.com

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Hit up the So Cal forum too. Lovebunny, Orvan and all them race at Fontana. Heck, I might give it a go myself. Do they have a fat old guy class?