Quantcast

Looking for goggle advice

CraigS

Monkey
Oct 13, 2012
upstate ny (518)
I own a TLD D3 and want to upgrade my goggles but not sure of compatibility.
Currently considering Oakley Crowbar or Mayhem or Smith, just not sure which fits the best with the D3.

None of my local shops carry goggles so I'm not able to try any out.

just my opinion but smiths have the worst (or shortest lasting) anti-fog coatings of my goggles. i've owned oakley, smith, scott, and Eks Brand.

i like the crowbar, the outrigger arms make it compatible with a wide variety of helmets. go mayhem if you wanna run canister-type roll offs.

granted they used to sponsor me, but EKS make a pretty good underrrated goggle. generic in appearance, but the frame is ultra flexible. along with good sweat wicking foam, it seals great. easy to run canisters or tear offs. fits my D3 well. and they're on the cheaper end of the pricing spectrum.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
while were on the subject of goggles, does anyone HAVE to wear glasses while DH'ing? i always used quik strap for when i used to ride dirt bikes.. id imagine id like them just as good for mtb??

Last edited:

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
I have a D3 as well. From experience the Mayhem fits pretty darn good. I also have a Scott Tyrant and it fits even a bit better. I highly recommend the Tyrant. Theyre on sale everywhere from like $30 or something. Also a plus is it has a feature that changes the profile of the lower part of the frame to make it fit better. It works. 4 settings, the Scott Hustle has this feature as well.

Id have to agree on Smith goggles. They look good, like the Intakes and Fuel V2s but they suck when it comes to fog management :|

isabbisr

Monkey
Aug 9, 2002
NJ
while were on the subject of goggles, does anyone HAVE to wear glasses while DH'ing? i always used quik strap for when i used to ride dirt bikes.. id imagine id like them just as good for mtb??
Admittedly, my eyes aren't that bad, but once I started wearing contacts lenses it was like night and day. Whenever I've worn glasses riding since then, I end up with different planes of trail. I would ask your optometrist for some samples to wear while you're riding and see how you feel. I got contacts for riding, and now where them daily.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
while were on the subject of goggles, does anyone HAVE to wear glasses while DH'ing?
I can't see my handlebars without my glasses, so they're pretty much mandatory. I have Scott OTG goggles, they're cheap, and they fit over my glasses just fine, where most goggles don't, and they last longer than any of the high end goggles I've used in the past.

To the OP, have any Moto shops in the area? Take your helmet and go try on goggles. Never seen a bike shop with half the selection of even a lame MX shop.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
Admittedly, my eyes aren't that bad, but once I started wearing contacts lenses it was like night and day. Whenever I've worn glasses riding since then, I end up with different planes of trail. I would ask your optometrist for some samples to wear while you're riding and see how you feel. I got contacts for riding, and now where them daily.
ive already tried contacts, twice. my optometrist only lets me 'try' one type of contact (he says this certain type is best for my eyes), and they dont stay in my eye. any time i go to do a 360 or a 540 on the DJ they'd pop out and id lose one or both.

glasses are so much easier than stupid contacts.. the only ones i could see myself springing for are the ones you toss everyday, 30 day contacts dont make sense to me... but then again ive been wearing glasses for the last 10 years or so.... so, yeah. probably pretty biased towards contacts right now :p
I can't see my handlebars without my glasses, so they're pretty much mandatory. I have Scott OTG goggles, they're cheap, and they fit over my glasses just fine, where most goggles don't, and they last longer than any of the high end goggles I've used in the past.
cool, ill have to look into those..
cool ill have to look into those.. my glasses are fairly small, so thats not the issue. but i just wanted to see if anyone with glasses is rockin the quik strap, when i used to ride dirt bikes i loved em and they worked with any goggle. so i figure ill like it for DH

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
cool ill have to look into those.. my glasses are fairly small, so thats not the issue. but i just wanted to see if anyone with glasses is rockin the quik strap, when i used to ride dirt bikes i loved em and they worked with any goggle. so i figure ill like it for DH
I wear large frame glasses because I hate seeing the rim, and because chicks dig a guy in Ray-Bans. You mite be fine with regular Scotts, that's what I used to wear when I had smaller spectacles.

Tried contacts, hated them. Next step is Lasik, but until then, it's all about the OTGs.