Quantcast

looking for horiz dropout frame suggestions

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
I live in Manhattan and want a hassle free commuter that won't get jacked. I will be running slicks and a rigid chromo fork with V brakes and a decent ratio. I think I'd like to go steel, but it doesn't really matter unless it's not the smartest to run a chromo, rigid fork with. I have an old aluminum XC race frame and a singulator, but I'm not keen on the frame and wonder about its durability because it weighs only three pounds and has seen a lot of dirt. I also would rather just skip messing with the singulator.

What's cheap and good?

Should I hit Supergo or the like?

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
a redline monocog is easily the best bike out there for the price. it's like 350US and rules. Or you could always buy whatever bike you like and pimp the gaffa tape. Hockey tape is even better actually.
no need to worry about mixing and matching materials. steel and steel is lovely though.

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
my cup of tea, is looseleaf early flush Darjeeling. :)

hmm, didn't know that about the monocog, but thinking about it it makes sense. hmm, the hooligan is definitely aimed squarely at you, if you think the bushnell can take the weather then it's down to geometry i guess. I don't think i'd be huge on going aluminum for this job but that's just me.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
I looked at Iro, and I looked again. It's probably what I'll do. Thanks for the input guys. Now where to get chain tugs....... I'm hoping to use a ramped 34T Shimano ring up front and something like a 16 rear cog. Almost tempted to go with only one brake. I need to figure out how to go full housing and V-brakes. It's going to be futzed together, but I'm wondering how light one could go.

Need: frame, most likely an XT 118mm bb, rear rim built, chain tugs, rear cog and I think that does it.

Anyone want to buy or trade for a Surly singulator?

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
you don't even need chain tugs, really. Unless you find your axle to slip often, in which case you only need one.

full housing on v-brakes is super easy, there's nothing at all to it.