Quantcast

Looking for ideas from the commuter monkeys

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Hiya guys -

I have to go shopping this week, and I'm totally at a loss where to begin. Hoping some of you professional commuter monkeys can maybe lend some advice.

I need to find a professional "looking" bag that I can travel with on my frequent business trips (oy) that carries:
My laptop
Some files for work
A book
Cosmetics
Possibly a projector or my purse (2 carry-ons, max).

I'd like this thing to end up being dual purpose if it's at all possible...so I can commute by bike in the morning.

Does anyone know of a "messenger" bag that fits the above description? It can't be a backpack - becase I can't really wear a backpack with a nice suit when on a business trip. A shoulder strap + a waist strap I can tuck away when on a trip would be the most ideal thing in the world...

Otherwise, I'm stuck looking at those rolling briefcase/overnighter type things...not even sure where to begin with those yet either...

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
Maybe an all black Timbuk2 laptop bag??? timbuk2 check them out.. they have some great bags. They are totally waterproof and Look great on and off of the bike

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Timbuk2 or Chrome - a while back someone posted a link to a messenger bag web site that had a hole boatload of companies. Don't think I bookmarked it though.

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
riderx said:
Look at the Chrome Laptop bags.

I've owned Chrome and Timbuk2 and Chrome is far better quality. And unlike Timbuk2, they haven't shipped a bunch of production overseas.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Not only is the quality of construction much better on the Chrome bags, but they are 10X more comforable than any Tim Buk 2. You can actually ride, and not have to stop and adjust the bag every 5 mins. They fit much better. The load is centered across the middle of your bag, not hanging down bouncing off your arse every pedal stroke. I have had my chrome Metropolis bag for 4 years now. Easily would be on a 2nd or 3rd tim buk 2. I have like 3 tim buk 2s sitting around if anyone is interested.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
=[Stinky]= said:
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Not only is the quality of construction much better on the Chrome bags, but they are 10X more comforable than any Tim Buk 2. You can actually ride, and not have to stop and adjust the bag every 5 mins. They fit much better. The load is centered across the middle of your bag, not hanging down bouncing off your arse every pedal stroke. I have had my chrome Metropolis bag for 4 years now. Easily would be on a 2nd or 3rd tim buk 2. I have like 3 tim buk 2s sitting around if anyone is interested.
I'm interested in those tim buk 2s you aren't using anymore!

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
=[Stinky]= said:
Not only is the quality of construction much better on the Chrome bags, but they are 10X more comforable than any Tim Buk 2.
Agreed. The assymmetrical strap with the built in pad is the sweetest design. Makes it reeeeeeeal comfortable.

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
I think I'm a tom bihn convert...

Loving the looks of the "Empire Builder" and the "Transcontinental"

I think I get more for less with the Transcontinental though...need to do some thinkin...