Quantcast

looking for info on differences between Demo 7 and Demo 8

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Did a search, but didn't come up with anything.

Anyways, I'm trying to substantiate some rumors that the Demo 7 and Demo 8 are basically the same frame. I know the 7 has a 1.5 headtube, and I know that the 7 also has some weird spacer on the shock shaft that limits the travel to 7", which, when removed, gives the bike just under 8" of travel.

In addition, the bikes use different shock lengths, listed as 8.75x2.75 for the 8 and 8.5x2.375 (which is NOT a standard size) for the 7. If you remove the shock shaft spacer on the 7, does it turn the shock into a normal 8.5x2.5? Or could I potentially put an 8.5x2.5 shock on a Demo 7 and get even slightly more travel out of it?

And can I assume that the shock mount "adapter" piece (the chunk o' metal at the forward shock mount that connects the shock to the frame) is what compensates for the different shock lengths on what appear to be otherwise identical frames?

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
The Demo 7 shock is 8.5" x 2.5" with a spacer to reduce the stroke. Thus the odd 2.375" stroke listing. Take out the spacer (which Spec says is okay to do in the manual) and the stroke is 2.5".

Download the technical manuals on Specialized's site. They are super detailed and have all the part numbers for the various smalls bits. That should tell you if the shock shuttle is different.