Quantcast

looking for new tires.

bradking192

Chimp
Sep 8, 2007
hey i was wondering what the differences were between lets say the maxxis minion and the kenda nevegal. i have the nevegals and im wanting to switch over but how long do the minions last before they get to worn down?

ajay

Chimp
Dec 29, 2007
Melbourne, AUS
providing the kendas are dual ply version, them ain difference is the compound. You'll find the Maxxis are tackier and will grip more than the kendas, the trade off being that they do wear down faster and the knobs can break off. Down here in Australia, everyone seems to love Maxxis (I guess cos most our successfull racers use em, and they are cheap) but having used other tyres recently I dont think they are the be all and end all.

You cant really go wrong with either one I guess... quite subjective really.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
A lot of tire choice depends on the soil you're riding.
So it might help to tell us what the local conditions are like.
I ride in very dry conditions, with a lot of loose rock and shale over hardpacked clay..there's a lot on sandstone rock too.

I've ridden Nevegals and Minions extensively. Both are great tires, but the Minion DHF's are superior due to the sticker compound and blockier cornering knobs. I found the Nevegals were great in loamier conditions. Nevegals do last a lot longer than the super tacky Maxxis treads, but the 3C tires have an improved lifespan...still don't last as long as Kendas though.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
The biggest question is where do you live and where do you plan on riding? Same goes with a business, location, location, location.

Was a long time Maxxis user here, and went to the minion dhf's a few years ago after using primarily High Rollers. Living in Northeastern US, I found that the Minion DHF's can be a little skittish when cornering on loose dirt. Had the 2.5 minion dhf I had on the front of my bike wash out on me on a berm that was loose over hardpack.

When the tires were worn out I decided to try the Nevegals out and have been pleased with them. Found them to be very predictable.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Soft Hutch Barracuda. They're on the heavy side but have an amazing grip. Best all around tire so far.

And I don't really think minions last short. Been fine for me.

bradking192

Chimp
Sep 8, 2007
A lot of tire choice depends on the soil you're riding.
So it might help to tell us what the local conditions are like.
I ride in very dry conditions, with a lot of loose rock and shale over hardpacked clay..there's a lot on sandstone rock too.

I've ridden Nevegals and Minions extensively. Both are great tires, but the Minion DHF's are superior due to the sticker compound and blockier cornering knobs. I found the Nevegals were great in loamier conditions. Nevegals do last a lot longer than the super tacky Maxxis treads, but the 3C tires have an improved lifespan...still don't last as long as Kendas though.
yea i pretty much ride in the same conditions as you...I'm going to all the national races this season also.