Quantcast

Looking for Off Roading Pics!

gecko

I'm Batman
Jun 28, 2001
Toronto, Canada
Hey gang,
We're going to be starting a forum similar to Ridemonkey for Off Roading, and I'm looking for a great photo to integrate into the site's design.

If you've got a great off roading pic, and want to see it featured in the design of a new community website please post it here or send it to adam@thodyconsulting.com

Looking forward to see what you've got!

Cheers,
Adam

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
is it going to be vehicle specific? Regional? any details?

I've got a ton of pics on my site... feel free to check them out. Take whatever you want, all I ask is that you let me know which pics you are using. I'd also like to check out the final version of the site when you are done. Oh, and please, only use pics of my truck (the black 4Runner). The pics are all mine, but I don't want anyone else's rig showing up on websites without their respective owner's permission.

Here are a few sample pics...

gecko

I'm Batman
Jun 28, 2001
Toronto, Canada
Sweet truck man!

To answer some of your questions, the site will be somewhat all encompassing. Much like Ridemonkey, there will be regional forums, forums specific to vehicle, and off road activity.

We're also partnering up with XRF Chassis to giveaway some chassis/steering parts, and offer discounted rates to members.

jmvar

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
"It was a funny angle!"
Now that all the off-roaders are rounded up, I can start picking you brains. Why do off-roaders look for solid axles front and rear? Is this really only for rock crawlers?

thanks

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
jmvar said:
Now that all the off-roaders are rounded up, I can start picking you brains. Why do off-roaders look for solid axles front and rear? Is this really only for rock crawlers?

thanks
Most real trucks still have solid rear axles, so that's not a big issue for most people. The solid front axle can be hard to find though (on newer trucks). A solid front axle is generally easier to lift if you want to go higher than just a few inches, it's generally stronger than IFS, and it flexes better because the suspension/axle is more independant of the frame.

The flex is what most people are after - the other benefits are usually secondary.

gecko

I'm Batman
Jun 28, 2001
Toronto, Canada
jacksonpt said:
Thanks. It's my starter rig. Some day I hope to have an FJ40 from the mid to late 70s - 38s, dual lockers, split case :drool:
haha nice. Nice site with some great pics, some definite contenders. I'll let you know.

(Also will be looking for moderators eventually, let me know if you might be interested.)

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
gecko said:
(Also will be looking for mods eventually, let me know if you might be interested.)
definitely. I'm on 2 truck/off-road bbs right now, ones doesn't get much traffic, the other seems mainly concerned with gas mileage issues of late, so I'm definitely looking for someplace new to hang out.

Feel free to let me know if you need any help with development or testing or anything like that.

gecko

I'm Batman
Jun 28, 2001
Toronto, Canada
jacksonpt said:
definitely. I'm on 2 truck/off-road bbs right now, ones doesn't get much traffic, the other seems mainly concerned with gas mileage issues of late, so I'm definitely looking for someplace new to hang out.

Feel free to let me know if you need any help with development or testing or anything like that.
Awesome, will do.

The plan is to get the traffic up to near RM levels within the next 8 months, so there should be something to keep you interested.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
In one of the pics you had an orange flag on your rig - was that Paragon? That's where I do most of my wheeling... you go there much?

Jou

Monkey
May 16, 2004
Powell/Laramie, Wyoming
Best i can do for now:

I used to have one where i went up a ravine of rocks and it got tipped on it's ass and the hood caught some rocks keeping it from rolling.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
here's a pic of mine that you could use:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
jacksonpt said:
is it going to be vehicle specific? Regional? any details?

I've got a ton of pics on my site... feel free to check them out. Take whatever you want, all I ask is that you let me know which pics you are using. I'd also like to check out the final version of the site when you are done. Oh, and please, only use pics of my truck (the black 4Runner). The pics are all mine, but I don't want anyone else's rig showing up on websites without their respective owner's permission.

Here are a few sample pics...
TreadLightly.org ????? :confused:

How is driving down the middle of a creek, stirring up silt, crushing fish eggs, dripping tranny fluid, diff. fluid, gas, and or crankcase oil and generally destroying the watery environment treading lightly?

Lame :thumb:

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
here are a few if you want. i dont get to go offroading too often because there just isnt anywhere to go here in Mass.

After xmas storm in CT a few years ago

up in Maine last summer

different rafting trip in Maine.
I got into some pretty good muck this trip, but forgot my cam :(
These arent great, but feel free

biker3

Turbo Monkey
profro said:
TreadLightly.org ????? :confused:

How is driving down the middle of a creek, stirring up silt, crushing fish eggs, dripping tranny fluid, diff. fluid, gas, and or crankcase oil and generally destroying the watery environment treading lightly?

Lame :thumb:
HAHAHA thank you for the laugh profro. I don't think its possible to mud "lightly", hell even 4wheelers have completaly destroyed many parts around here.

johnnyru

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Slingerlands, NY
In one of the pics you had an orange flag on your rig - was that Paragon? That's where I do most of my wheeling... you go there much?
Yeah, It's a Paragon Flag but no that wasn't where we were. I still had the flag on the CB antenna from the previous trip. That was at a place called Rausch Creek Off-Road Park, It's actually not too far from Paragon. I have been to both Paragon and Rausch Creek only twice. Both places are incredible, although I think I liked Paragon better cause you can mountain bike there. I haven't done it but I think it would be cool. I have also been to the Pine Barrens down in NJ. Cool place and great for beginners.

I have only been able to go wheeling like once a year which sucks. There is no legal places to ride in NY so whenever I go it's a roadtrip. I think I am going to give up the four wheeling for now and focus on biking. Just bought a Trek Diesel and I am planning to do some DH'in this year. Hopefully in the future when I have more time and $$$ I can look into building up a really nice 4x4 and do some serious wheeling.

Really like your 4runner too, it looks bad ass! Always loved those tricked out and lifted. Is that an ARB on the front or is it from another company? Here is a link to my weblog, It's got a bunch of links to info you may all find useful.

http://www.johnnyru.com/weblog/functionofx/functionofx.html

Sorry it hasn't been updated in a while. I have been busy with work, a new house, my family, oh and my new bike. :evil:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I've never been to Rauch Creek, but I'm hoping to get there this year - I've heard lots of good stuff about it. I really want to take my bike down to Paragon, but can never find anyone to go with me.

The bumper is very similar to the ARB, just from a competing company - TJM. Just as strong as the ARB, but the mounting is much simpler (direct bolt on while the ARB required cutting the frame rails). I also like the aesthetics better on the TJM.

johnnyru

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Slingerlands, NY
Rausch Creek is definatley worth a trip, they have some tough obstacles and rock gardens. Check it out... http://www.rauschcreekoffroadpark.org/

Gimme a shout the next time you want to go to Paragon, I would love to go biking there. There has to be somebody on this board that would go.

Yeah TJM has great products, they are an awesome company. Looks great!

gecko

I'm Batman
Jun 28, 2001
Toronto, Canada
Jou said:
Looks good, but i'll probably never visit it, pirate for hard questions, and PS for easier ones that i don't want to get flamed for.
You see, that's the beauty of a new forum...no one's going to flame you, you're one of the first members. You're like a god really.

Besides, we're giving away ball joints...see the site for more details.