Quantcast

Looking for Opinions on a 2004 Salsa Caballero frame

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
As a race bike. Probably put a Fox Float rlt 100 on the front and Xt all around with King/517 wheels. Ti bar/Post

with opinions i'd like to know what frames you have raced Xc with.

thanks
t

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
PM Loco - he had one for a while - I think he complained that the TT was short on it and that the stock shock kinda sucked - but that's just my recollection - I'm sure he could give you the full scoop.

If you are looking at one of those - why not have a look at a Rocky Mountain Element frameset as well - very similar - just different tubing right?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Also via a thread over on another forum it looks like Salsa has replaced the Caballero with a different scandium frame for 2005 - one that is more like a trek fuel in design than a RM element.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
The Toninator said:
gringo isnt a racer but thanks!
the new shox placement looks familure and i'm looking at the RM also.

found anything you like?
What are you riding now Tony?

I'm not a pure XC racer so I've not got my eye on an IH Hollowpoint team frame - slightly used at a good price.

What about an IH Azure frame - they will be sold as frame onlys I think.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
MMcG said:
What are you riding now Tony?

I'm not a pure XC racer so I've not got my eye on an IH Hollowpoint team frame - slightly used at a good price.

What about an IH Azure frame - they will be sold as frame onlys I think.
i'm riding a 2003 FSR. I've been pretty happy with it except for the fork which isnt it's fault. i think i'm going to replace the SID (too much maintenance) with a 2005 Fox Float RLT80 i can get it at 20% off retail through my shop.
i'm going to replace all the bearings and a few other things to spruce it back up.
i've looked at the IH's online but dont know that i have an opinion about them yet.

J

JRB

Tony - you would like the Salsa. I liked the RS ok for a race shock. It was fairly stiff. It is stupid light, but strong. The Salsa team raced them with a 3" SID. They said they were fast, but mine seemed fast with a 100mm fork. The frame is 5 1/4 pounds with a SID for an 18". Mine was great other than being too short.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I'm considering one for next year...It's between the salsa, Titus Racer-X ($$$), or a GT IDXC. Input, people!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I was going to get one, even considered Loco's when he had if for sale, but was scared away by the short top tube.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
i've decided to stick with the fsr and buy a fox float rlt 80 for it. i'm going to rebuild the rock sux's one more time and put in one the Dragon. She'll be a superlight steel wonder ride now complete with moots TI post and carbon riser!

J

JRB

The Toninator said:
what ever gringo:stupid:

anyhoo I've decided NOT to get the frame. I'm going to revamp the FSR.
It was funny and you know it. Did you order an F80 for it?