Quantcast

looking for others

Maci

Chimp
Mar 13, 2004
Maryland
:help: Hi, I'm tring to find some other women to ride with. I'm in Maryland, and I'm new to MTBing. Know of anyone that could help, or be interested, please get back to me. Thank You! Any resources would be helpful.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
Where in Maryland are you? And how 'new' are you?
I only ask the last question because I am also considered pretty new (very much slow and learning) and wouldn't want to slow anyone down.
I am in Fairfax, VA......

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Originally posted by MudGrrl
Where in Maryland are you? And how 'new' are you?
I only ask the last question because I am also considered pretty new (very much slow and learning) and wouldn't want to slow anyone down.
I am in Fairfax, VA......
I have learned that it's not about how slow you are....it's about how much fun you're having! If you are ever in my neck of the woods...we'll ride!

Maci

Chimp
Mar 13, 2004
Maryland
Hi, MudGirl thanks for the reply, I'm in east Baltimore Co. I'm very new, I guess my main search is to find someone to teach me. For know I think I'll concentrate on stength and some distance. :)

MudGrrl

Mar 4, 2004
Originally posted by TreeSaw
I have learned that it's not about how slow you are....it's about how much fun you're having! If you are ever in my neck of the woods...we'll ride!
I am actually from Cobleskill...the rest of my family is in Schenectady at present. Are you anywhere around there?

*edit* nevermind, I found ya!
My sister just got a place in Ballston Spa, and my brother always hangs out in Saratoga.

I will keep you in mind for my next trip home, as long as you can put up with slow and clutzy! :D

KPicha

Velma
Aug 3, 2002
Northern, VA
Hey Mudgrrl,

I'm in Fairfax, too and I'm turtley slow but I have decent skills. WHere do you ride? Have you been out to Accotink/Wakefield? If you ever want someone else to ride with, give me a shout. Its always fun riding with different people :)

Maci, I wish you were a little closer but I don't see myself getting out to Balitmore anytime soon :( Have you checked out the MORE website? http://www.more-mtb.org ? You might be able to find some local rides going on. Oh yeah, check out the Virginia forum, too. There are a couple of riders in that area, I think.

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Welcome, Maci! I'm new, too. I live in VA and ride in VA and MD every weekend. Sometimes I do DH/freeride, other times I sweat it out and try XC like at Shaffer Farms in MD. Give me a shout sometime?:)

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Originally posted by KPicha
Capt. Jack, your Sig cracks me up everytime I see it :D
Good.:D

Edit:I gotta give credit to Team XXL because I based my signature on one of their slogans: "Team XXL: Tumbling down a mountain near you."

My sig is so true: I did a huuuuge belly-flop onto a rather large boulder a couple weekends ago (I went over the bars), and am very glad I was wearing a full-face helmet (with visor) and full-body armor, because I landed flat on my face and chest. I was laying there staring at the boulder through my helmet as if I was scuba diving and looking at the sea floor from two inches above it, wondering, "How many people full-on bellyflopped onto a boulder today? And how many people aren't injured?" The bike landed on my back and the armor protected me from it, too. :)

My friends are doing drops confidently, and I'm still learning to get onto the boulders. I am learning that I prefer to ride fast down hills... I think I will enjoy that more than being able to say I did a five-foot drop. :)

KPicha

Velma
Aug 3, 2002
Northern, VA
OUch! That must have hurt! Although, it may have your pride even more ;) Its a good thing you have a good sense of humor about it!

I hear ya' though on the speed vs drops. I'd love to have chance at a good flowing down hill with a few small (1ft drops,jumps) thrown in. Although, tackling new obstacles, no matter how small or big is fun, too. :)

allieb

Chimp
Jul 1, 2002
NoVa
Hey you VA ladies!

If you're ever looking for another girl to ride with drop me a line. I normally ride at Schaeffer or the 'shed (although I do a good bit of pushing my bike over rocks at the shed too). I've been looking to find more ladies to ride with so that my hubby can do more guy rides that I don't have to keep up on!

allie

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Originally posted by MudGrrl
I am actually from Cobleskill...the rest of my family is in Schenectady at present. Are you anywhere around there?

*edit* nevermind, I found ya!
My sister just got a place in Ballston Spa, and my brother always hangs out in Saratoga.

I will keep you in mind for my next trip home, as long as you can put up with slow and clutzy! :D
;) That's funny because I teach in the Schenectady City Schools. We ride in Saratoga, Malta/Ballston Spa and lots of other places around here. Definately bring your bike along and we'll get out there. I am not that great, but I try lots of things and can definately teach you how to crash ;) :D

MudGrrl

Mar 4, 2004
Originally posted by TreeSaw
;) I am not that great, but I try lots of things and can definately teach you how to crash ;) :D

I definitely need to learn how to crash.
I am sometimes too scared of crashing to learn something, which I totally do not understand as I also ride horses and am REALLY good at falling off of those.

Are you going to the NY 5 boro bike tour?