Quantcast

looking for some car advice

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
OK, looking for some suggestions on this one...

My 4Runner is well past it's prime. I still like it quite a bit, but it's not as reliable as it used to be, and it needs about $4000 in work just to pass state inspection. And the whopping 14mpg is really starting to hurt. So, we (my wife and I) have decided to replace it, at least as my daily driver.

So here are my 2 options...

Option 1
Buy a Toyota Matrix as a daily driver and keep the 4Runner (fixing it up as we can afford). As I see it, the pros of this option are: great gas mileage (30+mpg), lots of versatility, reasonably fun to drive, cheap payment (<$200/mo), still able to wheel my 4Runner. The cons are: 2 vehicles to maintain/insure, $4000 in repairs to the 4Runner just to pass state inspection, no wheeling until at least next summer (due to necessary repairs), I wouldn't see myself driving a matrix in 10 years... not really a long term thing, but who knows for sure.

Option 2
Trade in the 4Runner on a Tacoma. Pros: the ultimate do-it-all vehicle (at least for me), only 1 vehicle to maintain, it's a truck (I'm a truck guy), could probably keep it for a solid 10 years or longer. Cons: higher payment (~$320/mo), average mpg (18-20 or so), not as fun to drive, would have to get rid of my 4Runner, so no more wheeling (I wouldn't wheel the taco).

Logically, I can argue for either one. The Tacoma is more "me", has no real shortcomings, I can really see myself with it 10 years from now, but is going to really push our budget - car payment especially, but gas prices are also a concern. The Matrix is cheap and versitile. With 30+mpg, I wouldn't think twice about taking off to ride with folks out of town (Rochester, Albany, etc.). The only real kicker is I'm not sure how well it will do in the snow, and that's a real issue where I live.

So, any thoughts?

Willy Vanilly

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
San Jose
Hi,
I've got a Tacoma and while I love the truck, I don't know how it would do in the snow. You could potentially get it in the 4x4 version but then you'd sacrifice the MPG even more. It is a great vehicle to have though for all sorts of things (construction materials, bikes, people, etc).
The Matrix sounds like a pretty good idea. It seems like a pretty useful car (kind of like a good looking, modern station wagon of sorts) and the gas mileage will definitely pay off in the long run. And if it came down to it, you could sell the 4Runner if you needed extra cash or anything... it's always good to have options.
I guess I'm saying go for the Matrix. I think it'll be worth it in the long run (with most of the utility and much better gas mileage).

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Do you have room for three vehicles without looking like Burly's neighbor?

If not, then the answer's easy.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
With a small fraction of the money you save on the Tacoma, you could easily buy a nice set of snow tyres and wheels for the Matrix. Just throw them on in winter.

Konafied

Chimp
Mar 26, 2006
Hermiston, OR
Tacoma's do well in the snow. Air down your tires though. If you do much wheeling or go offroad get the TRD package w/ factoy rear locker. I have a '99 TRD 4x4 w/ 3.4L V6 and love it.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Willy Vanilly said:
Hi,
I've got a Tacoma and while I love the truck, I don't know how it would do in the snow. You could potentially get it in the 4x4 version but then you'd sacrifice the MPG even more. It is a great vehicle to have though for all sorts of things (construction materials, bikes, people, etc).
The Matrix sounds like a pretty good idea. It seems like a pretty useful car (kind of like a good looking, modern station wagon of sorts) and the gas mileage will definitely pay off in the long run. And if it came down to it, you could sell the 4Runner if you needed extra cash or anything... it's always good to have options.
I guess I'm saying go for the Matrix. I think it'll be worth it in the long run (with most of the utility and much better gas mileage).
If I go with the Tacoma, it would definitely be the 4wd version. 2wd would never fly here in the winter.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Changleen said:
With a small fraction of the money you save on the Tacoma, you could easily buy a nice set of snow tyres and wheels for the Matrix. Just throw them on in winter.
Yea, that would be a given. But I live at the top of a pretty significant hill that is the last road to get plowed in the winter. A rather light car with front wheel drive might be iffy. If it was just me, I wouldn't worry about it... but I've got 2 small kids to think about as well. That's the primary reason we'd be keeing my 4Runner, at least in the short term. If the Matrix turned out to be fine in the snow, we'd probably try to sell the runner.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Konafied said:
Tacoma's do well in the snow. Air down your tires though. If you do much wheeling or go offroad get the TRD package w/ factoy rear locker. I have a '99 TRD 4x4 w/ 3.4L V6 and love it.
yea, I know... the tacoma in the snow is not a question... it's one of the big upsides to going with a Tacoma. But I wouldn't wheel it, and that's one of the big downsides.

TheJesus

Chimp
May 17, 2006
Get the tacoma, ditch the 4 runner and then buy a old samurai as a bush buggy. problem solved.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
As much as I love a Taco, with gas the way it is you might be better off with the commuter and hold on to the runner. Depending on what it will take to fix, I would hang on to it and fix it.

I hate to say it, but gas is a bitch. I wanted a Taco, but my wife and I settled on a Ram 2500 for next year and run Bio. I wish Toyota would sell the diesel powered trucks they sell in Aussie.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Free yourself of debt, sell the SUV and buy a late 80s, early 90s Toyota 4x4 pickup. Buy some tools and be a man.

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
BurlyShirley said:
Free yourself of debt, sell the SUV and buy a late 80s, early 90s Toyota 4x4 pickup. Buy some tools and be a man.
Good point.

But if you get a new vehicle get the one you really like- there is nothing worse than being stuck with something you don't enjoy driving, voice of experience. The one car we purchased because it was practical was such a POS that I refused to drive it and we traded if off several months later incurring even more cost. Damn the practically, get what will work best for you. Life's too short...

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
what about insurance..must be more for 3 vehicles compared to 2. Also that $4k you need to put into the old truck could go towards the higher Tac. payments

So..........

driving a matrix & be able to wheel ( > ) or ( < ) driving a Tac. & no wheeling

my vote = go w/the Tac.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
BurlyShirley said:
With 2 kids, a house, and a wife who works nights and weekends, I have no time to be dealing with a vehicle where every bolt is rusted solid from the winters up here. If repairs were going to be more straight forward, then that's exactly what I'd do. As it is, I break more stuff trying to get things apart to make a repair...

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Trainwreck said:
But if you get a new vehicle get the one you really like- there is nothing worse than being stuck with something you don't enjoy driving, voice of experience. The one car we purchased because it was practical was such a POS that I refused to drive it and we traded if off several months later incurring even more cost. Damn the practically, get what will work best for you. Life's too short...
That's the big reason why I'm leaning towards the Tacoma. The Matrix might be cheaper in the short run, but I can realistically see myself keeping it for 10 years, just like I've done with my 4Runner. So that's a minimum of 5 years with a solid vehicle and no car payment. I don't think that would be the case with the matrix.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
douglas said:
what about insurance..must be more for 3 vehicles compared to 2. Also that $4k you need to put into the old truck could go towards the higher Tac. payments

So..........

driving a matrix & be able to wheel ( > ) or ( < ) driving a Tac. & no wheeling

my vote = go w/the Tac.
I tend to agree... especially considering I'll realistically only be able to wheel a few times a summer... and a day of wheeling is a day I could have spent on the bike.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
jacksonpt said:
So that's a minimum of 5 years with a solid vehicle and no car payment. I don't think that would be the case with the matrix.
you don't think the matrix will last ten years, or you wouldn't want to keep it for ten years?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
narlus said:
you don't think the matrix will last ten years, or you wouldn't want to keep it for ten years?
I don't see myself keeping it that long. I dunno why, I just don't. Obviously I could if need be, but...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
You chould keep your 4runner and if you are worried about your driveway get a RAV4 4WD (basically a SUV styled matrix) - 4 cyl $21K 23/28 mpg or V6 $22.7K 21/28 mpg

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
I'd go Tacoma. I've got an '02 that has been absolutely perfect. The new models are definitely bigger inside but there are times when my extended cab is too small (me, wife, dog) and I wish I had a 4runner or something similar. With the two kids are you looking at the crew cab?

Ever consider the new Rav 4? Not too manly but we drove one last weekend with the v6 and 4wd and it was a damn rocket for what it is. Pretty spacious and even with the 4 cylinder (drove that one last month) they don't feel too bad on the local hills. Sort of cross between the Matrix and the 4runner.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
syadasti said:
You chould keep your 4runner and if you are worried about your driveway get a RAV4 4WD (basically a SUV styled matrix) - 4 cyl $21K 23/28 mpg or V6 $22.7K 21/28 mpg
Do you know this stuff off the top of your head?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
This may not help you at all.
But here is my recent vehicle history:
I drove a 91 4-runner into the ground.
Put way over 200,000 miles on it, screwed around and forgot to check the oil and it finally blew.
The 4-runner was slow, but it was awesome. I loved it.
I treated it like a truck, and slept in the back at races.
Then I bought a 2002 Civic SI, the hatchback one that is halfway similar to the Matrix. I wanted something fun to drive after the 4-runner. I liked the car, it was great on gas, but it just did not work for me with my DH needs, and no other truck in the family.
So, I got an 05 Tacoma, and I still want to hug it every morning.
I am gonna keep this thing for 10 years easy.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
syadasti said:
why would I even consider a Rav? More money, less mpg, not a truck, but not a car either...

Yea, that makes sense :rolleyes:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Mike B. said:
I'd go Tacoma. I've got an '02 that has been absolutely perfect. The new models are definitely bigger inside but there are times when my extended cab is too small (me, wife, dog) and I wish I had a 4runner or something similar. With the two kids are you looking at the crew cab?
Yea, double cab for sure, probably the short box with a stick... but that's not crucial for me.

Mike B. said:
Ever consider the new Rav 4? Not too manly but we drove one last weekend with the v6 and 4wd and it was a damn rocket for what it is. Pretty spacious and even with the 4 cylinder (drove that one last month) they don't feel too bad on the local hills. Sort of cross between the Matrix and the 4runner.
Not even for a second. My wife will probably get one next summer when her lease is up, and they do nothing for me. Decent looking perhaps, but that's about it. If I'm not getting a truck, then I want a car with some spunk.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
jacksonpt said:
why would I even consider a Rav? More money, less mpg, not a truck, but not a car either...

Yea, that makes sense :rolleyes:
Its a tall car period, not a truck. Still a good option for the space, performance (268hp) and extra towing capacity (3500 lbs) compared to a lighter car like the Matrix. It gets similiar mileage to most medium sized cars with AWD/4WD, so you aren't really giving up anything if you need to haul a lot of people or gear.

RAV4 V6 4WD C/D Test Results said:
ACCELERATION: Seconds
60 mph: 6.3
Street start, 5&#8211;60 mph: 6.5
Top-gear acceleration, 30&#8211;50 mph: 3.0
50&#8211;70 mph: 3.8
Standing 1/4-mile: 14.9 sec @ 94 mph

BRAKING
70&#8211;0 mph @ impending lockup: 180 ft

HANDLING
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.83 g

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
syadasti said:
Its a tall car period, not a truck. Still a good option for the space, performance (268hp) and extra towing capacity (3500 lbs) compared to a lighter car like the Matrix. It gets similiar mileage to most medium sized cars with AWD/4WD, so you aren't really giving up anything if you need to haul a lot of people or gear.
The only thing it would do well is haul my kids around... and almost anything will do that. It's decent at everything, but not great at anything. It's too small to be a people/gear hauler, but too big to be a fun-to-drive vehicle. MPG isn't significantly better than a tacoma is around town, which is where most of my driving is done.

No, the Rav makes exactly zero sense for me. Thanks for playing though.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Jackson, as I read thru you posts one thing has become very clear. That one thing is you should just buy an Xterra and sell everything you own.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
stosh said:
Jackson, as I read thru you posts one thing has become very clear. That one thing is you should just buy an Xterra and sell everything you own.
If my wife worked at a Nissan dealer, I probably would... but as it is, she works at a toyota dealer. It's hard to pass up the kind of deal she can get.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
jacksonpt said:
The only thing it would do well is haul my kids around... and almost anything will do that. It's decent at everything, but not great at anything. It's too small to be a people/gear hauler, but too big to be a fun-to-drive vehicle. MPG isn't significantly better than a tacoma is around town, which is where most of my driving is done.

No, the Rav makes exactly zero sense for me. Thanks for playing though.
I think you are talking about the old one. As Mike and I pointed out there is a new version. The new version is much bigger than the old one - 14 inches longer. It can comfortably carry 5 adults and 2 kids with three row seating or 73 cu ft of cargo if you fold the back two rows down (matrix has 53, xterra 65.7, 4runner has 75). It can easily embarrass the Matrix as far as performance goes and it also has a 2 foot tighter turning radius. It weighs about 3500 lbs which is the same as an average sedan, so its not too big to be fun to drive.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jacksonpt said:
If my wife worked at a Nissan dealer, I probably would... but as it is, she works at a toyota dealer. It's hard to pass up the kind of deal she can get.
From the monthly payments you are quoting it sounds that way.

Personally right now in my life Aubrey owns the Solara and I own the Xterra, Aubrey drive the Xterra to work 5miles away every day and I drive the Solara to work every day. It works out perfectly, then on the weekends if we're going camping or what-ever we take the Xterra.