Quantcast

Looking for some DH

gierhed

Chimp
Jun 8, 2004
Summerville, SC
I am down here in Charleston, SC, and I am looking to get into some DH comps. Are there any races going on within a couple hundred miles from here anytime soon, besides the comps in Charolette this weekend?
Thanks

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Windrock race Sept. 11-12 is an easy 5 hr drive. My sister lives in West Ashely, next time I am down, I'll bring my goof-off bike and we should ride some.

B

bigkonarider

You are in flat country ..man..you should do some 4x over there...
I 2'nd that PrOfRo:---------go to Windrock in Oak Ridge,TN..!
+ BIGFOOT mtn cross course is near there--300yds of fast -big-fun!!
:monkey:

gierhed said:
I am down here in Charleston, SC, and I am looking to get into some DH comps. Are there any races going on within a couple hundred miles from here anytime soon, besides the comps in Charolette this weekend?
Thanks

gierhed

Chimp
Jun 8, 2004
Summerville, SC
Hey Guys thanks for the info. Do you think my new bike that I am putting together is going to be enough for Windrock, Bullit with a Flick? 5"x5", Avid mechanicals. Keep in mind this is going to be my first race, so I will most likely be very slow. I raced BMX when I was younger but that doesn't really count.

B

bigkonarider

--It will be perfect for Bigfoot no doubt !!
Well Windrock--you can freeride it with that setup no problem; or just enjoy it.. I have done it, but now have a Monster-T...sometimes thinking about 8" up front !!
Riding style has alot 2 do with it as well. I know that a hardtail is allright too
Windrock is not the Monster that some claim it to be...!
:drool:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
you'll definitely be good to go on that bike there. I've been throwing around the idea of riding my hardtail down it one time to get a change of pace. I know there have been mroe than a few guys ride the place with a HT.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
bizutch said:
you'll definitely be good to go on that bike there. I've been throwing around the idea of riding my hardtail down it one time to get a change of pace. I know there have been mroe than a few guys ride the place with a HT.
man i rode it on a fully rigid single speed specialized rock hopper circa '97.

ok maybe i didnt do that.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
gierhed said:
Hey Guys thanks for the info. Do you think my new bike that I am putting together is going to be enough for Windrock, Bullit with a Flick? 5"x5", Avid mechanicals. Keep in mind this is going to be my first race, so I will most likely be very slow. I raced BMX when I was younger but that doesn't really count.
For the DH, if you're racing sport or beginner, you'll be more than fine with that setup. Nothing too over the top on their courses. If you're racing pro/expert then that setup might slow your speed, but won't stop you. The only IF might be mechanicals on the pro/expert course. That sucka drops alot of elevation and brakes are a premium. However, as Bigkonarider says that would be perfect for Bigfoot and if you've raced BMX in the past then you should love Bigfoot (MTNx course).

mtbman4

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
windrock
biggins said:
man i rode it on a fully rigid single speed specialized rock hopper circa '97.
The first time I rode windrock I was on a Fisher Paragon XC bike with a 2000 Judy fork. It was freaking scary.
Then I got a Stinky, and recently a Super 8. You can ride it on anything...it just might not be fun...

gierhed

Chimp
Jun 8, 2004
Summerville, SC
Does anyone know if I will be able to make some practice runs at Windrock on the Friday before the race? Since I have never ridden there before, let alone any real downhill.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I know we have the mtn for Saturday and Sunday for sure, but Friday might be a little iffy. The windmill construction may be going on on Friday.

Remember to ride Windrock you need $10 a day pass and a shuttle vehicle. Sunday a shuttle truck will be provided (maybe for a small fee) for racers.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
You can buy the pass in the main parking lot. You'll see it. It is a little shed on the right as you head up the road. Yes, you can use any vehicle you can get you and your bike into.

eio

Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
PNW
profro said:
Windrock race Sept. 11-12 is an easy 5 hr drive. My sister lives in West Ashely, next time I am down, I'll bring my goof-off bike and we should ride some.
Where can I get some details on the race, directions, etc., etc.

Coming up from Atlanta.

nuttypoolog

Monkey
Apr 3, 2004
Atlanta
I rode it on a 4" front and 6" rear K2... it was really fun, but I bypassed the steeps and even still had brake fade. I'd do it again though.

I'm going to be up there riding that Friday more than likely. I going to try and borrow my dads land cruiser and maybe get some shuttles in it.