Quantcast

Looking for some video feedback

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I want to have more stable footage and really like the POV from the chest camera mount - but without a gimbal, it can only be so stable while mounted to my chest.

Yesterday I mounted the camera to the top of my helmet and the stabilization is significantly better - but I feel like the video is less exciting from this view?

Give me some feedback - thoughts - good or bad - let's hear it. Two videos examples for reference:

Helmet mount:

Chest mount:

gonefirefightin

free wieners
The hero 9 and 10 are best for stabilization as long as you are shooting in a 4k or higher frame rate, Depending on what software you are using to edit also makes a difference. FCPX has some very good native stabilization and together with a hero 9 or 10 file they come out pretty smooth. Even tho you are shooting in 4-5k you can still downsample and output to 1080 for social media and YT when rendering form your software in case you dont have the processor power.

The other option is to bump to a 360 cam and not have to worry about stabilization at all and be able to edit and upload straight from your phone.

In your vids your settings seem to look narrow or linear, try and go as wide as possible since it wont crop, makes a big difference in stabilization, not only that super wide will make you look faster.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I believe that for a good riding youtube video you are supposed to say "so sick" or let out a high pitched "yeeew" at least once every 20 seconds. Other than that :thumb:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I found the helmet cam easier to watch (smoother). The chest came gave a better sense of the trail, but the jitteryness of it was difficult to watch.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Both videos were cool. I liked the helmet one better. I like how you included the riding noise. It gave a cool feel to the video.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
@jonKranked I am using the Hero 10. I am shooting at 4k, 60FPS, SuperView, Boost stabilization on, and using a lot of the Protune settings from Loam Ranger on YouTube.

@gonefirefightin - I had the GoPro Max for a year and kept getting bummed out by it only recording at 1080p - so traded it out for the Hero 10 so I could record at 4k.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I appreciate the feedback! I started just using the audio from the ride because using music kept running into copywrite problems - much easier this way.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
@jonKranked I am using the Hero 10. I am shooting at 4k, 60FPS, SuperView, Boost stabilization on, and using a lot of the Protune settings from Loam Ranger on YouTube.

@gonefirefightin - I had the GoPro Max for a year and kept getting bummed out by it only recording at 1080p - so traded it out for the Hero 10 so I could record at 4k.
Your gimbal is probably the culprit then, wear it hard to your harness then use real steady in post