Quantcast

looking for the lightest possible disc wheelset, suggestions?

MikeOK

Monkey
Nov 29, 2002
twelve
I need to invest in a super light disc wheelset, and need your experienced advice. Whirling weight is the most evil weight, and I am thinking I might make my rig both dh-able and xc-able by having two wheelsets. Possibly tubeless but does not have to be. TIA...

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Me too. My budget will be around $500.00 - I plan to buy in December so a year end blow out deal might be nice. Not sure about going tubeless for XC though, repairing flats in tubeless tires seems to be a pain in the ass, adding tubeless slime might be an option but weight wise might as well have tubes...

My current wheels are Rhino Lites XLs and XT hubs, they were cheap and got this bike rolling but they are tanks.

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Traveling the eastern U.S.
My opinion:

I recently heard that WTB licensed the American Classic disc hub design, and is making very lightweight, inexpensive disc hubs. Go Swiss DT 14/15 DB spokes (3x) laced to Bontrager Valiant or whichever sub-400g rim of your choice.

I had a similar lace-up on some superlight Hugi hubs. I rode them at Whistler and for light freeriding, and they barely held up to my 148 lbs. For XC and trailriding, they are fine, just make sure you have enough air in them. I'd run mine around 25 psi, and I've got the rim dents to prove it.

I've heard nice things about the new Shimano disc sets, but they are hella' expensive.

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
ive got a set of 317's laced to hadely hubs with dt revloutions and spline drive nipples. pretty light, ill try and get an exact weight for you. might of not heard of the nipples, theyre splined, not like traditional 4 sided nipples, so you have a special spoke wrench and can get the spokes tighter...pm me if youre interested, ill work on getting the weight.

MikeOK

Monkey
Nov 29, 2002
twelve
I kinda think the same thing about the tubeless. If you're gonna use slime you might as well have been using a tube. Good idea, just still needs the bugs worked out I think.

I have a couple threads going on this subject, but I'm trying to come up with parts to do both XC and moderate DH on the same bike. I think it can be done...

dirty - yes I'd like more info.

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
k, still trying to find an accurate scale. but in the meantime, heres another set you might be interested in.

Chris King Discotechs, laced to sun 0 degree rims (i think), with dt spokes (not sure which model), co-worker down at the lbs is looking to sell those off, he used them for maybe 4 rides, then busted himself in a car accident, so hes looking to sell too. Ill get weights on both sets and sure up which spokes and rims he used. Both sets are handbuilt. Ill be in touch shortly.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
*Caution - SPAM ahead*

If you want a lightweight XC wheelset, it doesn't get any lighter than Stan's new rim (as yet un-named) built with American Classic hubs. Pricing hasn't been set in concrete as of yet but there was talk of $550 including the sealing rim strips. Hugi 240s and King hubs are available at an adjusted price as well as spoke selection to match your preference and riding conditions. The rims themselves weigh in at 355 grams. The closest you can get in rims would be the new American classic mtb rim or Bontrager Valiants. The Valiants have been getting heavier but you can find some in the 385g range if you run front rims in both the front and rear.

I've personally run 317s to 240s for the past two years and they've held up well with minimal truing. The 317s however are often in the 410-420 range. Sun rims are notoriously more than their claimed weight, just an fyi.

Also, since we're sort of on the subject, tubeless is definetly the way to go. Increased traction, lower rolling resistance, and all the flat protection most people will ever need. Of course, I'm not a proponent of Slime. It was fun doing our puncture demo at Interbike while the Slime guys watched on in amazement - they even went back to get their boss. :D Run some lightweight standard tires on standard rims and forget the heavy UST stuff.

MikeOK

Monkey
Nov 29, 2002
twelve
Yep, I tried slime one time when I was doing alot of riding in a particularly thorny area. All it did for me was make a big mess when I flatted just as often as I did without it.

One thing I did not mention, my ready-to-ride weight is around 200 lb's. I don't mind truing wheels but at the same time I don't like being stranded with a taco'ed wheel.

Thanks for the replies...

Thylacine

Monkey
May 9, 2002
Steve Irwins Bungalow
Hrm.....funny, nobody has mentioned Tune hubs OR custom ADA wheels :devil: :p I'm sure they'd make some for you if you threw enough cash at them!

Tubeless is weird - I still can't get my head around it. Seems like it decreases the likely hood of pinchflats, so if you get a lot of them then it seems like a good idea, but to take full advantage of the system, you have to mount a tire thats heavier than a standard tire and tube, run rims that are 50g heavier due to the threaded eyelets and put some Slime or Latex into the mix to get some form of on-the-fly puncture protection. All so you can run 10 psi less in your 1.9 tires so they act more like a 2.1 and corner like a squirrel trying to put out his tail on fire.

None of this makes a heck of a lot of sence to me at this present juncture. Maybe I'm just weird? ;)

Depending on how much you weigh, the classic Mavic 517/DT Revo or Comp x3/Hugi 240 disc or Kings if you can stand the sound are all good. If you're a bit heavier, then go up to 519 rims. I've heard good things about Sapim CXRays too, but all these superlight spokes need a wheelbuilder who knows what they're doing - otherwise you get a massive dose of spoke wind and your wheels will be utter crappage. Heard okay things about the AmClassics hubs too, although there appears to be variances in the quality, but I could be wrong.

Hope that helps.