Quantcast

Looking for the perfect wheelset

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Hi, everyone, I was wandering if you could gime some options in order to change my wheels. I am looking for a set of wheels with sealed bearings, tough, light, and more important, they should fit on a low budget (remember, I'm in Argentina, each dollar means three local pesos for me).I run a 135mm rear hub, 9-speed cassete, and 110X9 front, both with Inernational 6-bolt discs.
Even when I'm 190 Lbs, I'm no Lenosky (or anything close to his skills). I'm just beggining to do some DJ, and I want to lower the weight of my wheels -currently, I run 36H Alex Supra BHs with Shimano 485 hubs, and they feel like trying to spin a cow with your bare hands when I'm on the air.

Since a friend of mine is traveling to USA soon, I'll instruct him to get the wheels for me.

I'll be very thankful for your opinions.

igz-

Monkey
Nov 30, 2008
Santa Cruz
Azonic Outlaw's are only $250 USD and convertible

is that around your price range or can you afford a bit more?

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I would like them to have only 32 spokes. 36 seems a little bit more, and I'm trying to save some weight where I can notice it the most. Reducing a gram in a wheel equals to three grams in the frame/components, because of the inertia and momentum of the wheels.

Anyone knows where to get cheap pimplites?

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
Do they come in 110x9 for the front wheel?
hmm, I think you mean 100X9, or common quick release? Or 110X20mm thru-axle?

I am not positive these days, but I know the originals did not come as quick-release.

You're pretty much out of luck for exactly the criteria you want.
Azonic Outlaws are your best bet, just only available in 36hole. The rims on the Outlaws are some of the lighter ones on the market, for that size though, just everything else is heavy.
Either that, or you'll have to save up just a bit more coin to get some nicer wheels that fit your exact needs.
Good luck!

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
I like the Forte Loco wheelset better than the Outlaws. They have all the requirements you need in a pair of wheels. They are less expensive than the Outlaws and have a better, welded rim seam.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile_combo.cfm?SKU=19153&estore_ID=&subcategory_ID=5310&CFID=6362117&CFTOKEN=39472720

I thought that was the other way around? The Outlaws having the Alex Supra D, and the Forte/Performance Loco's having the Alex SuperBH (pinned). Also a common rim on some oem wheels from Norco/Giant/etc.

either way, now that you mention that, it may prove to be a better budget option for slimshady to look into.

Last edited:

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
Locos are the ****, I got one and I was like Wtf are these toys r us wheels? But then I found them on performance bike and realized they were real, they have yet to have a problem and they are super light

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
hmm, I think you mean 100X9, or common quick release? Or 110X20mm thru-axle?
Yeah, 100x9 was what I was thinking of. If I only could make my neurones make a damn synapse after lunch...

I am not positive these days, but I know the originals did not come as quick-release.

You're pretty much out of luck for exactly the criteria you want.
Azonic Outlaws are your best bet, just only available in 36hole. The rims on the Outlaws are some of the lighter ones on the market, for that size though, just everything else is heavy.
Either that, or you'll have to save up just a bit more coin to get some nicer wheels that fit your exact needs.
Good luck!
Last set of wheels I rode on my last bike (before the change to my actual UMF Hardy) were a couple of Alex DP-20 rims laced to 32-hole unbranded hubs. They hung up pretty well (for a guy like me, as skilled as Yogui Bear when it comes to DJ). I was thinking of something not as heavy as my actual pair of Supra-BHs.

I was wandering what else could I get for those extra coins you mention. Maybe a set of Pimplites? I've been wandering around the forums, and they get pretty decent comments. Any other ones I should take into account?

Thans a lot for the answer!

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Anyone run the HALO COMBAT wheels ?

I'd be looking at the Singlepseed wheel. . . . .But why would they put a 10t on a 26" wheel.....? That means you'd have to run like a 22t sprocket in the front...

http://www.bti-usa.com/public/category/WH/WHMD/HL/HL1171?page=1#HL1171

Halo Combat-2 SS 26" disc rear wheel, 36h all white

BTI part #: HL-1186
vendor part #: WHHAC6SW
hole: 36h
rim: Combat-2 36mm all white
spoke: 14g black
size: 26"
nipple: brass
spacing: 135mm
f/r: rear
hub: Halo disc Singlespeed 10t black

Affordable, heavy duty disc brake ready wheelset
Updated version with new rim profile, new black hubs and black spokes
Looseball disc hubs with IS 6-bolt disc rotor mount, 8/9sp HG freehub or singlespeed hub with 10t driver
Choose black anodized or white powdercoated Combat-2 eyeletted rims (white is either fully powdercoated "disc only" or has machined brake track, allowing use with disc or rim brakes)
1270/1475g 24" F/R; 1350/1555g 26" F/R