Quantcast

Looking For....

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I am building up Mason's (My Son 5 years old) his first real MTB. Thanks to a friend here in town for donating a Specialized Hard Rock 20" for starters. I am looking to build it up for him based off this frame with some mods. Below I am looking for parts some of you may have laying around. Free is great, but I don't expect it from you.

A little about Mason. He has been riding from the age of 2 and never saw training wheels. He was in the skate park at the age of 2 1/2 rocking everything. He has been riding on the trail with me now for 2 years starting on a 16" BMX bike and now a 18" BMX bike. Its time to move him to a 20 wheel MTB build.

This is what I am looking for:
  • Old Marzzochi Shiver Single Crown fork
  • 20" Disc Brake Wheel set
  • Front and Rear Hydro Disc Brakes
  • Sinz 130mm Cranks with BB

The rest of the parts will come from sponsors.

If any of you have any of the above laying around let me know and thanks!!

Cecil:thumb:

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I've got some old Magura crappy hydro disc brakes you can have. They really need to be bled and probably new lines though. Just let me know if you want them.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
So are you asking people to GIVE you parts or are you offering to buy this stuff?

If that's the case, I'll throw my daughter into the charity pool. She'll own any boy on a bike. :D

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
So are you asking people to GIVE you parts or are you offering to buy this stuff?

If that's the case, I'll throw my daughter into the charity pool. She'll own any boy on a bike. :D
Buy....... If free is an option, I will not turn it down and I always give something back in return for the charity. The bike Mason was given was free, but will be pasted on the same way once its time. I am very lucky and thankful to have the friends that I have!

Share the Love Bro!!

Cecil

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Don't get that part about a Shiver. Front end will be 4 inches about his head with any 26" wheel front fork?

The one I just picked up for Cassidy yesterday has a 24" wheel specific fork from RST. I looked at it and if I put a 26" fork on, it would go through the roof. For half of what you'd spend on all those parts, you could by a used 20" 7 speed off Craigslist for $100.

Heck, when I was in DuPont with the girls last week, there was a 7 year old kid on a custom 26" wheeled frame out of Canada. It was a hardtail. You'd come out as cheap with that thing b/c you could throw all your old parts on it.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
What I'm asking is why would you put that fork on a 20" frame? It would make his bike have bars taller than he is and a head angle the equivalent of an Orange County custom. On a 24" frame, it would still be bad, but on a 20?
Since it's a 26" fork there's obviously a ****load of extra tire clearance, and since it's inverted you can drop the legs in the crown and shorten it up. It's a great small bike fork.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Since it's a 26" fork there's obviously a ****load of extra tire clearance, and since it's inverted you can drop the legs in the crown and shorten it up. It's a great small bike fork.
That is correct!!! You can also shorten the travel down to about 4" too. Bomb proof for the Ripper!!

Cecil

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
If I remember correctly those single crown Shivers had cryofit crown/stantions so you wouldn't be able to raise the legs in the crowns. Even if you could, if you didn't limit the travel somehow the tire would hit the crown before the fork bottomed and it be pretty ugly.

The only reason I remember this is because I knew a few guys that had issues with the stantions coming loose in the crown.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
If I remember correctly those single crown Shivers had cryofit crown/stantions so you wouldn't be able to raise the legs in the crowns. Even if you could, if you didn't limit the travel somehow the tire would hit the crown before the fork bottomed and it be pretty ugly.

The only reason I remember this is because I knew a few guys that had issues with the stantions coming loose in the crown.
Not on all of them. I think just the late model ones.

Cecil

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Your post bought this back from a distant corner of my memory banks. Might give you a few ideas to help with the build