Quantcast

Looking into getting a gun...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i urge anyone with wet dream fantasies of protecting your home with your first firearm purchase not to post about it on the internet.

thanks.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Something I want to add to this thread for anyone who might be thinking about getting a gun or a knife for defensive purposes.

How do you feel about watching someone die painfully, and most likely slowly.

Shooting someone is not like it is in the movies where you shoot them, and there dead. Chances are, yo fire off ten rounds<assuming your using a Semi Auto and you live in California> because part of the panic is to fire till it stops going bang, you hit him/her once in teh leg, once in the abdomen. The leg is a non fatal wound, while the abdomen perforats the liver. They dont just fall voer dead. You get to sit there watching them die slowly and painfully.

Its not really asking your self if you can take a life, but its asking yourself if you can take it in this mannor,a nd still live with the memories coming back at random times.
What if you shoot them in the head?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Something I want to add to this thread for anyone who might be thinking about getting a gun or a knife for defensive purposes.

How do you feel about watching someone die painfully, and most likely slowly.

Shooting someone is not like it is in the movies where you shoot them, and there dead. Chances are, yo fire off ten rounds<assuming your using a Semi Auto and you live in California> because part of the panic is to fire till it stops going bang, you hit him/her once in teh leg, once in the abdomen. The leg is a non fatal wound, while the abdomen perforats the liver. They dont just fall voer dead. You get to sit there watching them die slowly and painfully.

Its not really asking your self if you can take a life, but its asking yourself if you can take it in this mannor,a nd still live with the memories coming back at random times.
not if you hit the femoral artery! Then it should only take about 30 seconds. 60 tops. But given the scenario you described hitting the femoral would be dumb luck.

And think about what it does to the carpet!!

A little club soda will get anything out.*

Seriously, I agree with MikeD. A gun should be your last line of defense. If you do choose to get one, it is completely WORTHLESS (and possibly more dangerous to you & your family than a home invader) unless you know how to use it, and practice REGULARLY. If you want to effectively use a firearm for home protection, you better know how to use it blindfolded. Literally.

*(venture bros reference for anyone who cares)

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
(Ref: I am a security professional. I carry a gun on a daily basis and have one or more in my home at all times. I have a locker full at work. I protect and manage security for facilities and residences in a foreign country where home invasions happen every evening, initiated by grenades. I train other security professionals in the employment of firearms.)

It is a good thing that you're thinking about protecting yourself and those you love.

Buying a gun isn't absurd. It is, however, overall the least significant and most desperate of security measures.

There are MANY other things to do before getting a gun if you want to make your home safer, starting with making it a hard and unappealing target. This is an infrastructure thing--lights/locks/alarms/etc.

A dog is a much better deterrent and personal defense tool than a gun in many cases. Edit: Plus it's more fun more of the time.

And if you need to ask what kind of gun you need, perhaps you're not ready for one. (Edit: Not meant as an insult, just saying that broad familiarity and expertise with firearms will let you make your own decision on the matter.)

That said, buying TRAINING is the precedent for buying a gun. Good, realistic training that covers stress/combat shooting and legal scenarios. Overall, however, I believe an inexpensive pump shotgun, a mounted gun light, a ton of ammo (for practice), and professional training will best defend your life and home if the rest of your security fails or is overcome. A handgun isn't the best tool for the job.

Again, however, I stress that a gun is NOT the primary tool in your home defense bag. It could one day become the most important, but it's highly unlikely, especially if the first lines of deterrence/defense are effective.

Don't listen to the hoplophobes, but don't think a gun itself makes you safe. And, depending on the situation, it can be a huge liability as much or more than it can be the tool which saves your life.

MD

PS already a bunch of threads in the gun forum on this one

damn rep denied ...D

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
As opposed to Virgina Tech? Columbine? The crack epidemic? San Ysidro McDonald's?
Yes, those(besides the crack) were one-off occurrences.

There have been three in the past couple weeks.

And since I posted yesterday, another one:
Binghamton

Again, never know if these are always occurring and it's media bias or if things are really happening a lot more.

Guns lead to death. If someone's in my house I'll just call the cops and laugh at them in cuffs when they get caught. Cops should be the only ones allowed to own guns. I cant wait till they are all rounded up and melted to make fixed gear frames. That's my wet dream.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
One and only gun I own:

Rock River Arms AR15 carbine

I'll also add, that I would only use a firearm as a means of defense as an absolute last resort.

Last edited:

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Who makes that folding forward grip,Tango Down? Does you dot co-witness with your front sight being that it's a A2 upper. Nice rig though.
Forward grip is made by UTG. I used to have the red dot mounted on top of the carry handle, but that prohibits you from getting a good cheek rest. With it mounted in front of the handle, its only a slight adjustment from the iron sights, and they dont interfere with one another. You can however keep the red dot on when you look through the iron sites, and it lines up perfect.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Yeah you have a nice set-up. Now that I look closer is the back straps on that pistol-grip interchangeable ala HK pistols?
Yeah, both the palm swell and the finger grooves are interchangeable to get a perfect fit. It's made by Command Arms Accessories (called the UPG16).

I also have their 6 position collapsible stock, but I had to send it back cause there was alot of play between the tube and the stock. Hoping to get it back soon though.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
What if you shoot them in the head?
Well, first off, If your not trained, and you are shooting in a panic.... A head shot isnt going to happen aside from just plain Dumb luck.

If it does happen, it is probably the worst thing to see. A fatal shot to the head would Bleed Profusly<sp> as in it iwll amaze you how much blood the human body has in it. The eight pints of blood will seem like soo much more.Unless your firing a FMJ round, its going to pretty much treat the head like a watemellon<Not talking 22's here, refering to large caliber handguns>. The body will also be doing some crazy spastic dances as the brain looses control and pretty much lets the nervous system go haywire.

Any smart person using a firearm in there home that has taken a class, knows you dont go for a ehad shot, you go for middle body.

Any trained for professional reasons would normally be going for two in the chest, one in the head.

not if you hit the femoral artery! Then it should only take about 30 seconds. 60 tops. But given the scenario you described hitting the femoral would be dumb luck.

Seriously, I agree with MikeD. A gun should be your last line of defense. If you do choose to get one, it is completely WORTHLESS (and possibly more dangerous to you & your family than a home invader) unless you know how to use it, and practice REGULARLY. If you want to effectively use a firearm for home protection, you better know how to use it blindfolded. Literally.
Femoral artery, Corodic artery, Jugular vein, hit to the heart.... All of those will be a pretty quick way to die, BUT, all are an unlikely shot. The lat part you have is what I belive, IF you are going to use a firearm for homedefense, you had better be good at it, know it in and out, But also you should know what the reprocussions of using it will be<IE> what will be imprinted in your brain once its over.

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC

.45 with a scope...

I don't know much about handguns but that is a badass gun.
Speaking of guns I need to get my Weatherby Mark V Deluxe back from my dads cousin.

Last edited: