Quantcast

Looking to beef up my ride!

SoCalsurfer

Barney
Nov 1, 2004
Venice, CA
I have the Straight 6 with a Psylo and a Vanilla in rear, and is looking for some advice!

Was thinking about getting the Stratos LR-1 Double Crown 6 inch fork, and perhaps either a Stratos Helix pro, or a Romic shock! Eye to eys is 5 3/4".

Any other suggestions you guys have?

Also. Is there something that can be done about chainslap when downhilling, aside from the obvious and remove 2 rings?

Thanks!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
The LR1 is a heavy fork, why not get a Super T or something along those lines.

The Helix expert is a good shock and I know they make on to fit your bike.
Why not have your Vanilla "pushed" by Push industries? They feel amazing after that..

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
What year Straight 6?

If it's one of the more recent ones, they're not that beefy... You might be better off getting one of the new 6" single crowns on the market and getting the Fox "Pushed" as Zark suggested. Maybe a burlier wheelset.

It's a great bike and a ton of fun to ride, but putting a DC fork on it takes it out of its league - not so much that the headtube will snap off, but those little rear linkages are made of cheese, the headtube is thin and will probably ovalize, and it's only got 5.5" of travel anyway...

RE: chainslap, if you've got a 2-ring chainguide on it and you've wrapped the chainstay in something thick like a DH tube, then you've done about all you can do.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
binary visions said:
RE: chainslap, if you've got a 2-ring chainguide on it and you've wrapped the chainstay in something thick like a DH tube, then you've done about all you can do.
You might just have too many links on your chain as well. If you lose your chain alot try shortening up, works for me on my Bullit and i'm running 2 rings up front. otherwise slappy plappy as long as it's not coming off i don't care, personally myself....

SoCalsurfer

Barney
Nov 1, 2004
Venice, CA
It's the 2001 model! I checked out that Push site, that sounds pretty interesting. Maybe go with a better single crown is the answer.

As far as the chain slap. Which 2 rings do you guys have, and how do you go about changing that?

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
SoCalsurfer said:
I have the Straight 6 with a Psylo and a Vanilla in rear, and is looking for some advice!

Was thinking about getting the Stratos LR-1 Double Crown 6 inch fork, and perhaps either a Stratos Helix pro, or a Romic shock! Eye to eys is 5 3/4".

Any other suggestions you guys have?

Also. Is there something that can be done about chainslap when downhilling, aside from the obvious and remove 2 rings?

Thanks!

you should get a super t. they are sweet. [spam]and i also have one for sale[/spam]

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
SoCalsurfer said:
As far as the chain slap. Which 2 rings do you guys have, and how do you go about changing that?
My buddy had a standard 32t/22t setup with a MRP Long Range Patrol. Personally, I'd set it up with a 36t/24t and an Evil DRS given my preferences :D.

Be careful shortening your chain. My buddy ripped 4 derailleurs off 'cause he wouldn't listen to me when I told him his chain was too short... He had the 2001 model as well.

Great bike. I'd really love to find a new or like-new 15" frame - it was a blast to ride.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
SoCalsurfer said:
an Evil DRS is a heavy duty (overkill) bash guard with a chain guide so if you are racing or really going crazy and dropping your chain alot go with that. But if you want to try a simpler cheaper system that works just as well, take your big ring off replace it with a simple bash guard (race face/fsa/whatever) and shorten up your chain.

SoCalsurfer

Barney
Nov 1, 2004
Venice, CA
Skookum said:
But if you want to try a simpler cheaper system that works just as well, take your big ring off replace it with a simple bash guard (race face/fsa/whatever) and shorten up your chain.
IS this something that I could do myself?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Skookum said:
Yah you could do it especially if you have help from someone who can fiddle with derailluers. i know i don't haha... That would be the hardest part of the process.

The deralluer part i still have been to lazy to figure out... :p
Yeah. Me too. Every time I need to adjust my der I pull out that big Shimano "rear drivetrain" sheet that has instructions in 14 languages, try to make sense of what they're saying, then just screw with the screws and barrel adjusters until things work passably well. :thumb:

-S.S.-