Quantcast

Looking to buy used with out getting ripped off

XJman07

Chimp
Aug 28, 2007
Folsom, CA
So Im looking into to buying a used frame and was looking for some advice so I don't get ripped off. Are there things I should look for? Things I should ask for from seller to make sure its legit? Anything I can do to make sure frame isn't cracked or dented or anything without being able to see it in person?
Any help or personal experiences to learn from would be appreciated!

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Ask for a Local Pickup, and cash payment. Check out teh bike before you pay for it. If local Pickup isnt possible, then there is a certain amount of trust you will need to have. Then, home for the best

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Ask for a Local Pickup, and cash payment. Check out teh bike before you pay for it. If local Pickup isnt possible, then there is a certain amount of trust you will need to have. Then, home for the best
Word. There's no magic here. You might get ripped off. Local pickup is a good idea, get pics of the thing close up to see if it matches a written description or if it looks to have been ridden by a gorilla. If you're looking on here or mtbr, maybe ask for references (other people they've sold to, etc.)

I've bought two used DH bikes through this site and both turned out OK. One was local pickup- we traded frames. Other was a paypal, shipped deal. In both cases, there were a few things the seller didn't tell me (missing rollers in the chainguide, a DIY paintjob...) but I didn't really care because I felt I was getting the better end of the deal on both. Don't expect to or tolerate getting ripped, but be prepared for a few little things you might not have expected.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
1- ask for lots of pics
2- use paypal
3- use your credit card not bank account to pay through paypal

This will give you a certain level of protection. I got scammed last year and the credit card people gave me all the money back. Still got the stuff to since the scammers didnt want to pay to have it shipped back to them

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Pics + Paypal are a good start. If it's on here, dealing with well known people is always a bonus. I on ebay obviously they have the ratings you can judge with. I've had pretty good luck buying and selling, and have never really had any issues, just use your best judgment when dealing with someone.