Quantcast

Looking to get a 29" Rigid SS bike - Recommendations?

Apr 20, 2008
Looking to get a new bike and I am leaning toward the 29” rigid single speed variety. I still love my Mantra (still a few of those around), but it is time for something new.

This is what I have in mind:
1) Steel – It lasts, its forgiving and inexpensive (relative to Ti at least).
2) Rigid – I want something light and I seems like a 29” bike doesn’t really need suspension. At least from what I have read.
3) Slot drop outs as opposed to EBB. I keep hearing the EBB can be problematic over the long term. I want something that is bulletproof and simple. If my impression is incorrect, let me know.
4) Considering ability to switch to a 1x9. I am almost 40, so we’ll see how long the legs last with a single speed.
5) Looking to spend about a grand ($1,000). Less is always better, but don’t want to be penny wise/pound foolish.

I am 5’10”, 170lbs, with a 31.5” inseam. I also have longer than normal arms (yeah, my knuckles drag). I ride rocky/rooty trails around Philly like Wissahickon and French Creek. I do not race, just love to ride. I am thinking I would need a 17 or 18” frame.

Bikes I am looking at and hoping to get feedback on are:
1) James Exile SS (new design for 2008)
2) Redline Monocog (Base and Flight)
3) Haro Mary SS
4) Kona Unit
5) On-One Inbred (with Jenson component pack)
6) Surly Karate Monkey (with Jenson component pack)

Feel free to tell me about any others and thanks in advance for the help.

John Mc

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Good list!

Regarding the Redlines - there is a pretty big difference in tubing between the two and also in terms of geometry/fork offset. So you may fit a size larger Flight compared to a regular Monocog. If you could swing it I'd say go for the Flight. You can get a geared rear drop out for it later from Redline if you want to run gears.

Haro Mary's are EBB frames btw (at least the single speed specific one is)

I'd look long and hard at an 18" On One Inbred if I were you. See what they are selling for complete at www.pricepoint.com

The Karate Monkey is nice and a classic - but it has a low bottom bracket and you might get annoyed by pedal strikes in your rocky terrain.

Oh crap - here is a GREAT option for you to consider: A Qball frame and fork combo from Scott Quiring!! www.qballbikes.com

Sort of a refinement to a Karate Monkey with more standover and better bb height. I'd say a Medium Qball would fit you great. Scott Quiring is a great guy and a real craftsman when it comes to building frames. This is just his "working man's 29er" if you will.

A local buddy of mine worked with Scott and received a sweet complete bike for just around a grand (maybe slightly more).

Cheers,

Mark

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
Very good list there - and I would vote the Kona (but I'm a kona guy) However, I have two riding buddys that rock the Gary Fisher Rig and they both love it. One guy is running the Rig with a carbon fork / bars / seat post w/ stan tubeless and is 21lbs. I've never felt a bike as light as his.

Good luck and welcome to RM

BlackAthlete

Monkey
Apr 8, 2008
I have the schit brown 07 Monocog and it's been rock solid. People say you need to upgrade the headset but mine has been good so far. I did however upgrade the brakes right away as I had a pair of Avid SD Ultimates and levers in the parts bin that were crying out to be used. I would've gone disc but I didn't have any spares and cash was tight.

I got the Monocog for cheap too. 400 ish new off ebay. Great bike for the money (and I'm about your age too).