Quantcast

looking to get a road bike,what do i need to know

would building up a bike be a bad idea for a first road bike, currently i have been riding my 27 pound XC bike on the road(slugish). and im looking to get a road bike, i guy i new used to have a Derosa, i thinkit was a steel/carbon mix, or maybe AL/carbon mix, not sure but that was he smoothest road bike i had ever ridden,what do these framescost, and where can i get them, cause i havent been able to find anything in america, i know there expensive, just dont know how much, looking to spend about 5 grand, as i know road bikes last a long time, and want something pretty light

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Fit fit fit fit fit - that's all that matters.

For $5k, you can buy damn near whatever you want. Find a good shop that will take the time to get you on the right bike. If it does fit right and feel good, you won't ride it - and that will be a lot of money down the crapper.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Hahaha man, can I have some $$$ next time we ride? :)

Buy a $500 road bike and see if you like the riding, if you do then look into a new bike.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
jacksonpt said:
Fit fit fit fit fit - that's all that matters.

For $5k, you can buy damn near whatever you want. Find a good shop that will take the time to get you on the right bike. If it does fit right and feel good, you won't ride it - and that will be a lot of money down the crapper.
:stupid:

If your spending that kind of cash, mail order is seriously NOT an option, IMO. Pay a little more up front and find a GOOD roadie shop that knows how to fit you. Worth every single penny.

A $500 bike that fits is worth more than a $5000 bike that doesn't.

EricMcFlow

Monkey
Jul 9, 2005
Chicago
Trek Madone 5.9. Well thats my sugestion of you want Shimano or go Project One if you want Campy. IMHO the Madone's are the best bang for the buck. A lot of people like to knock the company ,but the Cf frames they make are amazing. My ride is full Campy carbon Record and everyone that I let throw a leg over it loves it.

would you suggest getting a frame like a De Rosa,
would spending less than that much money be a better idea.
I would think road bikes would last a butt load longer than mountain bikes would, or would you want a new one every couple of years
also, how much do de rosa ussually cost, i dont think i want a full carbon bike, but im not sure, maybe just carbon stays, and a carbon fork
thanks

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
mastercycleman said:
I would think road bikes would last a butt load longer than mountain bikes would, or would you want a new one every couple of years
In general, unless you are racing on the road, you get a new road bike because you want one, not because you need one.

As an example: my road bike is a '97 Colnago Master Bi-Titan. Purchased new off the internet in '99. As ti framesets go, it's a pig. I built it up in '99 with many parts off my previous road bike. So the kit is a combination of Record ('92 first-year Ergopower levers, used 8 spd hubs, used brakes) and Chorus (derailleurs). Cranks are old Mavics. The rims were used from '93 (and are finally due for replacement). I replaced the bars one. Bar tape a few times.

The bike still rides fine and still looks cool and gets noticed. It was rare when it was new and really stands out now against the rather common carbon frames of today. I admit it's rather heavy - about 21 lbs as built... w/o bottles.... and I'm considering upgrading the fork/headset/bar/stem to lose some weight as well as rebuilding the wheels when funds allow, but in the end, I use the bike for training and general riding, so the weight isn't really an issue. I don't see me replacing it anytime soon.