Quantcast

Looking to get back into DH

Casey-Ryan

Monkey
Jan 2, 2012
Gloucester, MA
Hey guys,

I used to ride downhill a lot when I worked for Ironhorse and I want to get back into but looking for a good starter frameset for the weekend warrior. I maybe will ride 8 times a year so I am not looking to break the bank but I also don't want a piece of junk either. What are some frames I should be looking at and realistically what should I be looking to spend.

Casey-Ryan

Monkey
Jan 2, 2012
Gloucester, MA
I don't mind used at all. I was thinking about picking up an Airborne Taka but they don't ever have any of them in stock and I was looking at a few other bikes as well in the classifieds but nothing crazy.

I also have a lot of industry connections so believe it or not it would be cheaper for me to build up the DH rig then to buy something with the components I want. I don't mind just getting the frame but I can't seem to find to many smalls. (Damn my midget legs :))

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
If you're buying new, take a look at the Giant Glory frameset or complete. They have some of the lowest MSRPs I've seen.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
There's a Small Foes DHS on ebay right now that I've been eye-balling since it has the Curnutt fork. Thing is dirt cheap.

Used is definitely the way to go, the deals are endless, a friend just picked up a barely ridden Yeti 303 for $1800, another got a cherry Demo 8 for $2000 with a spare wheelset and lots of tires.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
Yeah thats pretty much where my head is at, I have been looking at 303 framsets or even possibly DH-9s always been a yeti fan.

Got to make sure you can get parts if you are buying old. DH-9s,good luck with that. If you go new;
yd35 is correct, the Giant Glory is a solid frame at a great price.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
I know Jenson used to have Glorys but sold out any other site offering them cheaper then the new price?
I don't know of any online retailers that sell Giant, but since the MSRP is 2000, I just assumed that people with buddies in shops could get a frame for real cheap. I'm guessing an EP on a frame would be in the 1200 range?

Casey-Ryan

Monkey
Jan 2, 2012
Gloucester, MA
I don't have and friends that work for giant (ruined those connections but thats a long story!) Just a friend from felt, ASI (Fuji, Breezer, SE), Specialized, Litespeed, and I think thats it for frame companies but I am friends with a bunch of component reps so the frame would be my biggest expense.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
I don't have and friends that work for giant (ruined those connections but thats a long story!) Just a friend from felt, ASI (Fuji, Breezer, SE), Specialized, Litespeed, and I think thats it for frame companies but I am friends with a bunch of component reps so the frame would be my biggest expense.
I'd look into getting a Demo 8 frame, or possibly a Status complete build. I know that Specialized shops can get pretty sweet EP deals.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Hey man,
if you're looking to get your feet wet, there are some good deals out there. For starters, if you have a "flexible" budget, the turner DHR is 1850$ over at Go-ride. That's half price. You can also get the DHR with an RC2 from turner direct for about $1700. That's the best deal going on a retail frame.

Specialized makes an awesome bike, and despite the gwincompatibility, they're the most common bikes on the east coast. The demo is an awesome frame, and the status is an awesome complete bike. I'd grab a status if you have connections that can get you one for a good price. Spec's OEM stuff is really well thought out too...you aren't missing much on their builds.

For used bikes, IH Sundays are built like tanks and have fantastic geometry. The shock rate is a little wonky so you need to run an appropriate shock to compensate, but finding a DHX equipped frame shouldn't be impossible. Right now, I'm running a Morewood Izimu and it's super nice. It's ultra light and simple, and it's really well put together.

For the Taka, there was one in Rhode island, but I don't see it anymore. Those (and the IH Yakuza) are awesome bikes with really decent geometry, but they crack. I bought one and found _six_ cracks in it. Every frame I've looked at since then has been cracked in the same areas! I tried to inspect it really well, but I think the yakuza was an afterthought after the sunday, and it didn't get the love that it deserved. The taka is just a yakuza with different paint.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
8 times a year?
That's not actually "getting back into it" - why not just rent a decent bike for the handful of times you'll be riding?

Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I don't mind used at all. I was thinking about picking up an Airborne Taka but they don't ever have any of them in stock and I was looking at a few other bikes as well in the classifieds but nothing crazy.

I also have a lot of industry connections so believe it or not it would be cheaper for me to build up the DH rig then to buy something with the components I want. I don't mind just getting the frame but I can't seem to find to many smalls. (Damn my midget legs :))
A friend of mine wants to sell a small transition blindside, dhx 5.0 shock, he's keeping the fork, wheels, drivetrain for the next build. If you're interested I can get you his email.

I have no idea how much he wants, but I do know the frame is in nice shape.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
If you have friends/connections with Specialized, I think you may be able to swing a full built Status for around the 2K mark. I also know that Winter Park/ Trestle bike park demos the status and sells them off at the end of the season..which for them is relatively early. I know someone who bought one, they shipped it out here, and it was in pretty descent shape, for around 1500+/-. You could probably pick one up at the end of their season this year and still have time to ride Highland for a couple of months.

The status is a solid bike, I'd rock one.

If you were in the Medium market; I'd sell you a full built IH Sunday with a Pushed shock and brand new pivot hardware...

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
saw a new glory with a vivid air on it on ebay for $1700 or $1800. its an XS though, not sure if you want to go that small.

just thought id throw that out there.