Quantcast

Looking to upgrade Frame and Fork...

Person

Chimp
Apr 30, 2004
I have a Cannondale Super V that I picked up used a few years back and I don't really like it that much. It does have descent components on it though. I have been debating buying a new frame, fork, and shock and using the components off of it to build a new bike.

From what I can tell the only thing I will have to buy in addition to the frame, forks, and rear shock is probably a stem. Is this correct? How much money will this really save me? Here is a list of the components:

FDer - Shimano LX
RDer - Shimano XT
Breaks - Avid V
Rims - Mavic
Cranks - Shimano XT
Shifters - Shimano LX

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Person

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Well, I'm not the resident expert, but I'll kick off the discussion and welcome you to the board. Basically, you have to look at each point where a component attaches to the frame. Things to look at (assuming you are getting a new frame and fork):

-headset (Cannondale has some funky head tubes)
-seat post and clamp (find out the current size, compare to your new frame)
-front der (clamp size and method varies, as does cable orientation)
-bottom bracket (shell width can vary)
-cables (just buy a new set for shifters and brakes, you'll need them)

Other than that, you should be able to swap the rest.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
You can probably get a complete bike with all new components for close to the same price as all the parts you are gonna need. Then you can sell your old bike as a complete bike, which is easier than trying to sell parts.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Originally posted by Echo
You can probably get a complete bike with all new components for close to the same price as all the parts you are gonna need. Then you can sell your old bike as a complete bike, which is easier than trying to sell parts.
Ditto.

Frame, fork, and shock are the most expensive parts of the bike... along with the wheelset.

Softy

Monkey
Apr 22, 2003
Don't call it a come back
Sell the old one whole. Get what you can. Buy a new bike complete. The price of new components is highly discounted like this. Everything fits ,no wrenching and a warrenty?NEW new new.