Quantcast

Looks like I'm getting a Blackberry.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
It sounds like the name of a female hygiene product.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
I also smoke the crackberry

palm and samsung dont come anywhere close to its email capability. Think of the blackberry as a scapel for phone, email and messaging. The others are swiss army multitools they are decent at alot of things but not necessarily good at one specific thing. Once you upload music, and realize you can watch youtube vids you basically have an iphone. My $.02

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Once you upload music, and realize you can watch youtube vids you basically have an iphone. My $.02
You can get a 8GB microSDHC for about $20, 8GB w/USB reader for $25 or 16GB for about $70. Most of the current models have internal or external microSD slots and OS supports SDHC.

Last edited:

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
I have the "world edition" becasue work told me I had to be availible for trips abroad... hate it.

Email works great - rest of the crap on there is gimicky and doesn't work half the time, and never works as they claim.

On my 3rd replacement phone... and it's already starting to give me problems.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I have the "world edition" becasue work told me I had to be availible for trips abroad... hate it.

Email works great - rest of the crap on there is gimicky and doesn't work half the time, and never works as they claim.

My third world phone has been solid so far,.....

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
So essentially, I should just go with the BB and not bother looking at anything else?
Most Sheeple have frankenberries cause they work, or because work gets them one.

More people can help you with a issue with a blackberry faster then any other phone.

Doesn't mean it's perfect, but then, no technology lately is.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I've been through Palm, Blackberry, and now on iPhone.

In my opinion, the Palm has the best calendar hands down. Blackberry DOES have the best email, no question, and the iPhone is the slickest and best put together.

The Blackberry is great for email, an OK phone and contact management system, and has a sucky calendar. Syncing is generally a problem for about 80% of the people I know with a Blackberry, but as mentioned earlier, since it is the standard, lots of people can help you fix it. Media capabilites on the BlackBerry are not great, but they work. The Blackberry also has the best security features if you have an IT department that knows what they are doing.

Personally, I HATE Windows Mobile, so that knocks out most of the phones on the market, but I refuse to use it because I hate it so much

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal

Weird man. My wifey just got the world ed. and loves it. Hopefully she still loves it in a few months.

She is one of those people who had the BIG Day Runner organizers (remember those?) that was overflowing and so stuffed it wouldn't close. She went from that to a Handspring, to a palm, and to another Palm (Trio I think). She says the blackberry beats them all hands down. She doesn't care much for the world wide functionality as much as the larger keyboard (over the curve) and the email, calendaring, and document functions.

I got the LG Dare. I could care less about the PDA functions, I just want to look at pr0n while at work. :D

Last edited:

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
The only three phones worth getting these days are: Blackberry Bold, Nokia E71, and iPhone

Last edited:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
The only three phones worth getting these days are: Blackberry Bold, Nokia E71, and iPhone
I disagree. The LG Dare does everything I want it to. And cheaper than an iphone. Take THAT, Mr. "No Middle Ground"!

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I love my Blackberry Curve. It's super functional, very user friendly, and in two months of having it I've only had to do one battery pull.

I "ALT L G L G" everyday and refresh and clear log... it helps keep it running smooth.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I have a BB Curve.
I'm on my 3rd one. First one was my fault, jumped in a pool with it in my pocket.
2nd one just up and died within a month. No idea why.
My 3rd one is doing good, but its finicky. I drop calls a lot on it, but that could just be the provider.

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
I think the Curve has a lot of room for improvement over older RIM models. I would hold out of the Blackberry Bold which will be released this week or try to find a Rim 8820. I've had call logs/emails/SMS/MMS/etc on my Curve erased due to low memory space (hence the need for an external SD card). Never had that issue with any other Blackberry phone in the last 7 years.

With that being said, I'm a loyal RIM user and will be until somebody else can get on board with Rim's push email technology and simple OS. Plus, Blackberry Messenger kicks ass.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I think the Curve has a lot of room for improvement over older RIM models. I would hold out of the Blackberry Bold which will be released this week or try to find a Rim 8820. I've had call logs/emails/SMS/MMS/etc on my Curve erased due to low memory space (hence the need for an external SD card). Never had that issue with any other Blackberry phone in the last 7 years.

With that being said, I'm a loyal RIM user and will be until somebody else can get on board with Rim's push email technology and simple OS. Plus, Blackberry Messenger kicks ass.
https://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless-products/bb_overview

The Bold is three times the price....

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
But 3 times the fun. Wifi plus free wifi at any Starbucks location/3G speeds/International GPS/ 480-by-320-pixel screen.

Plus is just looks so damn sexy.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
I love my Blackberry Curve. It's super functional, very user friendly, and in two months of having it I've only had to do one battery pull.

I "ALT L G L G" everyday and refresh and clear log... it helps keep it running smooth.

What does that do? I have never done that....

I keep my curve in my pocket... the belt pouch is way to geeky

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
What does that do? I have never done that....

I keep my curve in my pocket... the belt pouch is way to geeky
From the home screen press and hold ALT, then press L G L G. It takes you to your log. It's basically the history for your BB. Press the main key, and it'll bring up the options View, Clear Log, Refresh, Options, and Copy Day's Contents. Select "Refresh". Then press the main key again, and select Clear Log.

It basically just cleans up the backlog of actions that BB feels it necessary to keep in memory, and speeds things up a little bit.

And yeah. I hate the holster. In fact, mine is still wrapped up it's plastic wrap. I picked up a little $15 rubber case for mine, and while getting it in and out of my pocket is occasionally a hassle because of the rubber exterior, it has totally saved my phone from a few 1', 2', or 3' drops onto our kitchen/bathroom floors.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
I have one and love it. Works all around the world (except japan and korea because they use cdma not gsm...)

Originally I was not a fan until I had one in my hands. I travel a ton and having the ability to clear out my inbox while I am in cabs, waiting for meetings, standing around on getting on/off the plane is a huge benefit. Before the blackberry you get to the hotel ad midnight and start doing email.

Just dont be a jerk and pull it out during a conversation and start checking your mail. Google maps and blackberry GPS are great when you are traveling. I do a lot of day trips to the west coast and I seriously consider leaving a notebook at home.