Quantcast

Looks like New Orleans is fixin' to get a hurricane enema!!!

spam16v

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
Buffalo, NY
N8 said:
I have a spare bedroom up in Shreveport if some poor monkey needs a safe place to stay for a few days.
good man.
Houston used to flood alot and id walk around the next day helping ppl pull spark plugs and clearing out engines full of water when they flooded them out. worth a shot to help someone out.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Yeah.. this looks like a one BAD mutha f'er!

I heard on the news that all be hotel rooms as far north as Little Rock are full. Our hotels here in Shreveport were full as of Thurs evening. I have a spare bedroom so I figured I's offer it to a monkey in need.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
My heart goes out to the people who remain in Katrina's path, this is a serious storm, I have ridden storms out before , but this one is catastrophic looking, I would run for the hills, I am praying for ya'll

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
MunkeeHucker said:
My heart goes out to the people who remain in Katrina's path, this is a serious storm, I have ridden storms out before , but this one is catastrophic looking, I would run for the hills, I am praying for ya'll

The closer it gets the worse it looks like it is going to be for New Orleans.

I can't believe people are still in the city....

GET THE F__K OUT NOW!!!!!!!!

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
sounds like the worst part is the storm surge, with new orleans being under sea level as it is, the 10-20' storm surge will be more damaging that the wind or rain it seems. Best wishes being sent out to all involved.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I just hope everyone copes with it safely and suffers minimal damages.

I can't wait to see all the hypocritical news broadcasters and weathermen standing out in the storm like they always do durring catastrophic weather events. Hopefully none of them get hurt either, but then again....

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
Inclag said:
I just hope everyone copes with it safely and suffers minimal damages.

I can't wait to see all the hypocritical news broadcasters and weathermen standing out in the storm like they always do durring catastrophic weather events. Hopefully none of them get hurt either, but then again....
Geraldo Rivera's whig would get blown off.

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
Seriously.

Unless a miracle happens and that storm stops now, I'm afraid a lot of people are going to die.
New Orleans will be obliterated. I'm really, really sad right now.

Aug 2, 2005
The Island
My heart goes out to all those in the path of this storm. I have a strong, strong, feeling that Katrina could take the all time worst storm title. I'm positive the monetary damage will be worse than Andrew, but the chances that a lot of people will lose their lives is very, very high. Good luck to all those riding this one out.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Rip said:
Some experts are saying that New Orleans is going to be completely wiped out.
Why would you post that?? What do experts know? You gotta have hope. I got friends in New Iberia and I hope they are going to be allright. My prayers are with them....

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
I must say, the French Quarter will have a hard time. All those flimsy, termite-infested wood buildings. And the whole city is well below sea level, right next to a lake and a massive river. The swells will cause some big floods.

As for being completely wiped out, those are vague terms. There'll be a lot of damage though. I hope it doesn't turn out as bad as everyone thinks it will.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Tourists stranded by the shutdown of New Orleans' Louis Armstrong Airport and the lack of rental cars packed the lobbies of high-rise hotels, which were exempt from the evacuation order to give people a place for "vertical evacuation."

Tina and Bryan Steven, of Forest Lake, Minn., sat glumly on the sidewalk outside their hotel in the French Quarter.

"We're choosing the best of two evils," said Bryan Steven. "It's either be stuck in the hotel or stuck on the road. ... We'll make it through it."

His wife, wearing a Bourbon Street T-shirt with a lewd message, interjected: "I just don't want to die in this shirt."

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
jdcamb said:
Why would you post that?? What do experts know? You gotta have hope. I got friends in New Iberia and I hope they are going to be allright. My prayers are with them....
Just what I have heard. Doesn't mean it will happen.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Rip said:
Just what I have heard. Doesn't mean it will happen.
It will happen, they've feared something like this for years and years. New Orleans has been sitting in the shadow of disaster and it's finally been realized with this storm. Just like living under a volcano, but at least the population has much warning and can evacuate.
The city is dependant on a levy system that pumps out the water, need electricity to do that, and even then it cannot keep up with the surge of such a huge storm.
This is unprecedented in my lifetime, i can't think of a such a huge metropolitan area going under such a strict emergency evacuation like this. i've been busy working and hadn't followed it much, i was suprised to hear the New Orleans Mayor's speech this morning, in noting the severity of the anticipation of the worst case scenario.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
Skookum said:
It will happen, they've feared something like this for years and years. New Orleans has been sitting in the shadow of disaster and it's finally been realized with this storm. Just like living under a volcano, but at least the population has much warning and can evacuate.
The city is dependant on a levy system that pumps out the water, need electricity to do that, and even then it cannot keep up with the surge of such a huge storm.
This is unprecedented in my lifetime, i can't think of a such a huge metropolitan area going under such a strict emergency evacuation like this. i've been busy working and hadn't followed it much, i was suprised to hear the New Orleans Mayor's speech this morning, in noting the severity of the anticipation of the worst case scenario.
Exactly, odd things have happened before, but this one won't be dodged.

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
dirtjumpP.1 said:
just watching some news about this, and thought this guy was pretty cool lookin
Don't know if you're joking or what, but if you've never been outside in hurricane winds, then you have no idea.

My ex wife and I were riding a storm out here in the late 90's when a tree fell on the house. Power had been out for hours and I couldn't tell if the tree had penetrated the roof from inside, so I went out to the carport to see what I could see.

Tree branches 4-6 inches in diameter were flying through the air at 120 miles an hour plus.

Needless to say, i didn't venture out into the yard.

Gusitar

Chimp
Sep 13, 2001

Sad indeed. Also, I really feel for the city officials. Trying to make those kinds of evac calls when so many of these events get overplayed or the models just don't respond right can't be easy. The kind of money involved when it wasn't necessary can make a mess out of political clout, not to mention the breaking of the county/state budgets. All that being so, I really HOPE this is the biggest news and nature dud yet {fingers crossed}

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Wow the news coverage is a) lame b) boring c) repetative.

Storm surge, levies, pumps, stadium, repeat, repeat.

C'mon, the crowd wants to see stupid anchorman blood!

"Well Diane, the wind is certainly picking up here now, I think we're gonna.." BLAT!! Thumpthumpthump
"ARRGGGHHHH"
"Oh **** oh **** oh **** "

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Just heard on O&A (who were playing a live news broadcast over XM) that parts of the roof of the NO Superdome are being ripped off.

Reports are saying NO could be submerged in up to 30 feet of water, and could be an environmental disaster (coffins floating up, sewage floating around, etc etc).

What a mess...

Edit:

stoney98 said:
06:23 pst:
The superdome has a large hole developing in the roof. Over 100k people are taking shelter in the superdome.
DAMNIT STONEY, HOW'D YOU BEAT ME?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I really feel for the people down there.

Why the hell did they build a city that lies well below sea level?

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Ugh... Katrina was a direct hit to my house as a Cat 1 and it was scary enough (I have hurricane shutters and what not). NO's is not nearly as prepared for a Hurricane. I feel for those people, and the folks in the SuperDome must be scared.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Westy said:
I really feel for the people down there.

Why the hell did they build a city that lies well below sea level?

The main problem is not that it's be low sea level, it's that it's below Mississippi and Lake Pontchartrain which surround it...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
The super dome didn't sound like a great place to ride out a storm to me...
But what do I know about Hurricanes....